Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition 18:00 - Oct 13 with 3127 viewsartsbossbeard

Thinking about taking the Family Beard to St. Petersburg early next year - is it a worthy of a long weekend status?

Same flight time as NY with flights & hotel pricing all looking reasonable. 3 to 4 nights about right?

Thanks
ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:06 - Oct 13 with 3114 viewsitfcjoe

Might not be your thing, and it’s a 2 week holiday but there is a new cruise ship leaving Southampton with Thomson. One of the big boats with cinemas, climbing wall, swimming pools etc and loads of stuff for kids to do.

Goes to St Petersburg - but stops at Copenhagen, Bruges, Tallinn, Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm.

Leaves in September, fortunate as a week before my boys second birthday so saves is £600

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:09 - Oct 13 with 3108 viewsartsbossbeard

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:06 - Oct 13 by itfcjoe

Might not be your thing, and it’s a 2 week holiday but there is a new cruise ship leaving Southampton with Thomson. One of the big boats with cinemas, climbing wall, swimming pools etc and loads of stuff for kids to do.

Goes to St Petersburg - but stops at Copenhagen, Bruges, Tallinn, Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm.

Leaves in September, fortunate as a week before my boys second birthday so saves is £600

Cheers Joe, I'll give it a look, the stop offs sound ace.

Bruges is wonderful and I've never really explored Scandinavia.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:13 - Oct 13 with 3098 viewsSpruceMoose

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:06 - Oct 13 by itfcjoe

Copenhagen, then to Bruges, then back to Tallinn seems a strange route. Otherwise, sounds excellent.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:14 - Oct 13 with 3094 viewsitfcjoe

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:09 - Oct 13 by artsbossbeard

Cheers Joe, I'll give it a look, the stop offs sound ace.

Bruges is wonderful and I've never really explored Scandinavia.

I’ve somehow never been to Scandinavia so good to go to all of it one trip.

Only get a day everywhere, bar St Petersburg, but fancied a trip without a flight for the little one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:18 - Oct 13 with 3069 viewsStokieBlue

St. Petersburg is a beautiful city, I've been quiet a few times. If you are looking to go in Jan/Feb you need to be aware the days are short and the temperature can be -30C if it's a bad winter - it will almost certainly be -10C.

Apart from that it's a brilliant place to visit with some truly amazing buildings (which make you understand why the Tsars got overthrown).

Other points would be that I wouldn't fly Aeroflot if I were you which means that BA are the only direct flights I believe and that you'll need to apply for visas which are especially cheap so need to factor that in as well.

Can do more detail if you decide to go.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:22 - Oct 13 with 3060 viewsartsbossbeard

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:18 - Oct 13 by StokieBlue

St. Petersburg is a beautiful city, I've been quiet a few times. If you are looking to go in Jan/Feb you need to be aware the days are short and the temperature can be -30C if it's a bad winter - it will almost certainly be -10C.

Apart from that it's a brilliant place to visit with some truly amazing buildings (which make you understand why the Tsars got overthrown).

Other points would be that I wouldn't fly Aeroflot if I were you which means that BA are the only direct flights I believe and that you'll need to apply for visas which are especially cheap so need to factor that in as well.

Can do more detail if you decide to go.

SB

Cheers SB. I thought it would be cold but not that cold..!

I've got some BA discounts codes that are expiring soon, so BA it would be.

3 to 4 nights about right?

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:28 - Oct 13 with 3047 viewsStokieBlue

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:22 - Oct 13 by artsbossbeard

Cheers SB. I thought it would be cold but not that cold..!

I've got some BA discounts codes that are expiring soon, so BA it would be.

3 to 4 nights about right?

It's pretty normal to be around -10C, the coldest I think I've experienced there is about -36C. I've not been for about 7 years but happy to help out with questions.

3/4 nights is good, it's a big place (5m people) and there is plenty to do. The only thing you can't really do in the winter is the summer palace just outside St. Petersburg which is a ludicrous over-the-top version of Versailles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterhof_Palace

Still plenty of other things to do, the Hermitage alone is a full day really.

Have you looked into hotels? They never used to be that great, AirBnB might be better nowadays.

SB

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:30 - Oct 13 with 3042 viewsartsbossbeard

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 18:28 - Oct 13 by StokieBlue

It's pretty normal to be around -10C, the coldest I think I've experienced there is about -36C. I've not been for about 7 years but happy to help out with questions.

3/4 nights is good, it's a big place (5m people) and there is plenty to do. The only thing you can't really do in the winter is the summer palace just outside St. Petersburg which is a ludicrous over-the-top version of Versailles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterhof_Palace

Still plenty of other things to do, the Hermitage alone is a full day really.

Have you looked into hotels? They never used to be that great, AirBnB might be better nowadays.

SB

Super, cheers SB

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 19:23 - Oct 13 with 3009 viewsFreddies_Ears

I'd do it as a 2-centre trip, combined with Helsinki. It's a 3-hour train trip between the two, and you'd get a great contrast of cultures, whilst keeping the kids interested. Don't forget you will still need a visa for Russia.
TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 19:36 - Oct 13 with 2986 viewsSteve_M

I've not been but it's high on my list, a beautiful city (in places) with some fascinating history behind it. Plus the Petehof - an alternate palace - just outside.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 20:04 - Oct 13 with 2967 viewsStokieBlue

TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 19:36 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

I've not been but it's high on my list, a beautiful city (in places) with some fascinating history behind it. Plus the Petehof - an alternate palace - just outside.

There is also another palace just outside in Pushkin where the Amber Rooms have been restored.

SB

[Redacted] on 22:35 - Oct 13 with 2923 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
TWTD World Travellers - Russia edition on 22:53 - Oct 13 with 2893 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I stuck around there for a bit.

Poll: Best Football Song

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024