Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? 16:51 - Oct 22 with 4370 viewspointofblue

To be fair I thought the game was petering out to a bore 0-0 just before they scored - we weren't doing much but neither were they. The goal came out of nowhere and then... nothing. No spark, no drive, no urgency, no passion. It's as though the players were more concerned about missing their Sunday lunch than losing to the club's biggest rivals. There was more desire from the Under 7s who came on the pitch and played a game at half time.

Will they be hurting as much as we are right now? Somehow I doubt it; especially now Good Old Mick has given them all a kiss and a cuddle and said well done to them. And I have to wonder whether this lack of commitment comes from Mick himself; admittedly a pragmatic approach might be desirable on many occasions but sometimes a sign of attack is needed to galvanise the fans too.

One thing Mick gave us when he came in was grit. We fought for every ball, we tried to the 90th minute. We weren't the best team in the division but we didn't care - he allowed us to be proud and gave us our club back. Where's that gone now?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 16:57 - Oct 22 with 4349 viewsJ2BLUE

I really don't think the players can be questioned. I think they tried as hard as they could but lacked the extra bit of quality.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 16:58 - Oct 22 with 4340 viewsTractorWood

Everything complimentary about Mick is in the past tense. Says everything.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 16:59 - Oct 22 with 4336 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 16:57 - Oct 22 by J2BLUE

I really don't think the players can be questioned. I think they tried as hard as they could but lacked the extra bit of quality.

I think it was you who said it on another thread though - as soon as we went 1-0 down we didn't look like we'd get back into it. Non league sides have shown more fight against league sides in similar predicaments; we're meant to be in the same division as them. If we don't fight with quality we fight with grit, determination, passion, drive, commitment, urgency... none of that was present today after Maddison scored.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:06 - Oct 22 with 4301 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 16:59 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

I think it was you who said it on another thread though - as soon as we went 1-0 down we didn't look like we'd get back into it. Non league sides have shown more fight against league sides in similar predicaments; we're meant to be in the same division as them. If we don't fight with quality we fight with grit, determination, passion, drive, commitment, urgency... none of that was present today after Maddison scored.

I don't agree with that. Accusing the players of lack of passion is just lazy and wasn't the problem today.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:10 - Oct 22 with 4279 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:06 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

I don't agree with that. Accusing the players of lack of passion is just lazy and wasn't the problem today.

Where would you say the issue lay today? If it's lack of quality then I don't buy it - we see teams from lower divisions go toe to toe with teams higher up the league order time and again. Poor tactical decisions? Possibly but I don't think anything Mick did would have see an improvement. Lack of belief? Perhaps but that's terrible considering Mick picked us up from rock bottom and instilled belief when he first came in. Everyone having an off day? That's happening far too often for it to be a coincidence over the past two and bit seasons.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:19 - Oct 22 with 4249 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:10 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

Where would you say the issue lay today? If it's lack of quality then I don't buy it - we see teams from lower divisions go toe to toe with teams higher up the league order time and again. Poor tactical decisions? Possibly but I don't think anything Mick did would have see an improvement. Lack of belief? Perhaps but that's terrible considering Mick picked us up from rock bottom and instilled belief when he first came in. Everyone having an off day? That's happening far too often for it to be a coincidence over the past two and bit seasons.

The issue was we didn't score during the 59 minutes that we were the better side. Had we done so I think we'd have gone on to win the game. Sadly we gifted them a goal with shoddy defending and they then spent 30 minutes falling over, winning free kicks and throws and managing to kill the game very professionally. It's awful to watch and hard to counter, Derby did the same to us two out of the last three times we've played them at PR. It's nothing to do with a lack of passion.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:30 - Oct 22 with 4206 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:19 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

The issue was we didn't score during the 59 minutes that we were the better side. Had we done so I think we'd have gone on to win the game. Sadly we gifted them a goal with shoddy defending and they then spent 30 minutes falling over, winning free kicks and throws and managing to kill the game very professionally. It's awful to watch and hard to counter, Derby did the same to us two out of the last three times we've played them at PR. It's nothing to do with a lack of passion.

And yet this surely isn't new? Indeed, I'm sure we've been guilty of a similar style of game management in the past... ok, it may be a long and distant past but... The losing team has to counter it; it's possible otherwise teams would never bounce back.

I'm not sure if I'd say we were the better side over the first 59 minutes. It was pretty even, they scored, game over. A draw would have been the fairest result.

Another thing which gets me, though, is our response to going 1-0 down. When we take the lead, the opposition seem to get a second wind and pin us back, pushing and probing, pulling us across the pitch, looking for an opening. Us? Again and again nothing. We generally seem utterly clueless in that kind of situation - even against Barnsley and Millwall we scored against the run of play.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:36 - Oct 22 with 4185 viewsGarv

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:19 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

You think we were the better team for 59 minutes?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:53 - Oct 22 with 4143 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:36 - Oct 22 by Garv

You think we were the better team for 59 minutes?

Yes. Up until they scored we were the better side. That's not an especially controversial point of view when you look at the chances the teams carved out in that time.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:54 - Oct 22 with 4135 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:30 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

And yet this surely isn't new? Indeed, I'm sure we've been guilty of a similar style of game management in the past... ok, it may be a long and distant past but... The losing team has to counter it; it's possible otherwise teams would never bounce back.

I'm not sure if I'd say we were the better side over the first 59 minutes. It was pretty even, they scored, game over. A draw would have been the fairest result.

Another thing which gets me, though, is our response to going 1-0 down. When we take the lead, the opposition seem to get a second wind and pin us back, pushing and probing, pulling us across the pitch, looking for an opening. Us? Again and again nothing. We generally seem utterly clueless in that kind of situation - even against Barnsley and Millwall we scored against the run of play.

And you think the answer is more passion?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:01 - Oct 22 with 4104 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:54 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

And you think the answer is more passion?

Possibly. I could take the defeat today if, after conceding, we had given of a good go; if we'd pinned them back, put them under pressure, actually looked like we wanted it. As it is there seemed to be a collective shrug of the shoulders and we plodded around until the ref decided enough was enough.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:02 - Oct 22 with 4097 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:01 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

Possibly. I could take the defeat today if, after conceding, we had given of a good go; if we'd pinned them back, put them under pressure, actually looked like we wanted it. As it is there seemed to be a collective shrug of the shoulders and we plodded around until the ref decided enough was enough.

I don't think that's accurate at all.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:03 - Oct 22 with 4091 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:02 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

You think we pinned them back after they scored?

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:05 - Oct 22 with 4078 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:03 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

You think we pinned them back after they scored?

Well no, clearly that didn't happen. However, we didn't give up and shrug our shoulders either.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:06 - Oct 22 with 4071 viewsGarv

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:53 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Yes. Up until they scored we were the better side. That's not an especially controversial point of view when you look at the chances the teams carved out in that time.

We both had spells, to say we were the better team for 59 minutes is way off. They had all sorts of balls into our box late in the first half (again pretty much all dowm our right) and could easily have scored one.

Referring to Mick's comments, I don't understand how one can be 'pleased' with that performance. There was so little quality and two shots on target that were never going to trouble the keeper.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:09 - Oct 22 with 4060 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:06 - Oct 22 by Garv

We both had spells, to say we were the better team for 59 minutes is way off. They had all sorts of balls into our box late in the first half (again pretty much all dowm our right) and could easily have scored one.

Referring to Mick's comments, I don't understand how one can be 'pleased' with that performance. There was so little quality and two shots on target that were never going to trouble the keeper.

It's not way off, we were the better side up to the goal. Which of their chances do you think justifies feeling they should've had a goal prior to when they scored? They created nothing of real note. We had some good chances and definitely should've scored on that first half. After the goal we were pretty poor, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:09 - Oct 22 with 4056 viewsSuffolktractor

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:02 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Unfortunately I think that is a fair assessment. Once we went a goal down, we had no ideas or drive to get back in the game.
Celina and Sears were brought on far too late.
Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:09 - Oct 22 with 4055 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:05 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Well no, clearly that didn't happen. However, we didn't give up and shrug our shoulders either.

So why does practically every team which plays us tend to push on and drive is back when behind yet, nearly match after match when trailing, we struggle badly to make an impact on the opposition defence?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 18:48]

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:13 - Oct 22 with 4034 viewsGarv

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:09 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

It's not way off, we were the better side up to the goal. Which of their chances do you think justifies feeling they should've had a goal prior to when they scored? They created nothing of real note. We had some good chances and definitely should've scored on that first half. After the goal we were pretty poor, I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

McGoldrick's header where he should have got up higher, yes. Kndusen flashed one across goal onto the post, that wasn't a chance. I don't remember any others? I think they created good openings, they probably didn't have any chances as such.

I was excited by our start, but it fizzled.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:16 - Oct 22 with 4017 viewsHerbivore

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:09 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

So why does practically every team which plays us tend to push on and drive is back when behind yet, nearly match after match when trailing, we struggle badly to make an impact on the opposition defence?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 18:48]

Again, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate but in any case I'm not sure it's an easy thing to answer which is why reducing it down to 'passion' is lazy and simplistic.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:53 - Oct 22 with 3935 viewspointofblue

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:16 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Again, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate but in any case I'm not sure it's an easy thing to answer which is why reducing it down to 'passion' is lazy and simplistic.

Obviously we do manage it once in a while, Leeds being a case in point where we did seem able to to regroup, but too often this season we go behind and appear clueless as to how to respond. Lack of passion may be a simplistic way of putting it but that's how it appears on the pitch - we seem to lack the commitment to get back into matches all too often.

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 18:57 - Oct 22 with 3921 viewsLeoMuff

Is Mick's lack of passion/desire filtering through to the players? on 17:10 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

But for the most part those lower league teams get beat. We were better than them in regards work rate and effort, but second best quality wise. Not really surprising when Maddison cost the equivalent of our entire transfer spend in 4 seasons under Mick.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024