Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home studying tips 17:28 - Nov 28 with 3209 viewsThisIsMyUsername

So after months of deliberation I have just signed up to an Access to Higher Education Diploma.

I've set myself a rather ambitious target of completing it in 6 months. I am going to have to study a sh*t load (25 hours a week minimum).

Any key advice or tips from people who have studied remotely when it comes to keeping on track? I know there are a few of you on here!

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Home studying tips on 17:33 - Nov 28 with 3195 viewsSpruceMoose

Timetable out your week. I always found it helpful to have a something visual to follow. I always liked knowing for example, "It is Tuesday AM, time to work on X for three hours". Be realistic with how you divide your time though and try not to feel guilty when you aren't studying, you need breaks too.

And good luck! Keep us updated as to your progress.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Home studying tips on 17:35 - Nov 28 with 3190 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Home studying tips on 17:33 - Nov 28 by SpruceMoose

Timetable out your week. I always found it helpful to have a something visual to follow. I always liked knowing for example, "It is Tuesday AM, time to work on X for three hours". Be realistic with how you divide your time though and try not to feel guilty when you aren't studying, you need breaks too.

I've come up with a rough timetable already as in at what time blocks in the average week I should be able to study. I'll probably have to tailor it a bit around what I'm working on specifically, as you say.

I'm going to have zero life for the next 6 months (not that I really have one currently).

Thank you - will do.

Home studying tips on 17:38 - Nov 28 with 3181 viewsStokieBlue

SB

PS. Obviously good luck on the studies :).

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Home studying tips on 18:16 - Nov 28 with 3145 viewsRyorry

Have any study support grooups been set up, eg as a forum or fb page? Might be useful, if only for people to have a mutual moan if one particular topic is causing problems generally! If nothing already set up, start one?!

In the absence of face-to-face teaching, one useful tactic might be to get family or friends to ask you questions about various topics. Or imagine someone who knows nothing about a subject is asking you what it's all about. You'd then have to frame a concise, easy to understand answer in your own words, which would be a test of whether you really had understood and remembered something.

Pleased you've signed up anyway, essential first step!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Home studying tips on 18:37 - Nov 28 with 3124 viewsfactual_blue

Surprised you're not pitching MooseStudy Template Essays, guaranteed 1% resilient to plagiarism software.

Perhaps you haven't firmed up on the pricing?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Home studying tips on 19:31 - Nov 28 with 3101 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Home studying tips on 17:38 - Nov 28 by StokieBlue

SB

PS. Obviously good luck on the studies :).

Thanks!

Home studying tips on 19:36 - Nov 28 with 3095 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Home studying tips on 18:16 - Nov 28 by Ryorry

Have any study support grooups been set up, eg as a forum or fb page? Might be useful, if only for people to have a mutual moan if one particular topic is causing problems generally! If nothing already set up, start one?!

In the absence of face-to-face teaching, one useful tactic might be to get family or friends to ask you questions about various topics. Or imagine someone who knows nothing about a subject is asking you what it's all about. You'd then have to frame a concise, easy to understand answer in your own words, which would be a test of whether you really had understood and remembered something.

Pleased you've signed up anyway, essential first step!

There is a FB page and a forum (although not a very active one by the looks of it). Because people can start the course at any time there aren't generally any big groups I don't think. I've found a few historic posts though online about the course.

Thanks for the tips :). Will let you know how it goes.

Home studying tips on 20:00 - Nov 28 with 3075 viewsconnorscontract

It's great to set an ambitious target, but I'd encourage you to review it after a month and see if you want to step down the hours a bit to allow more down-time. Sometimes life gets in the way of ambitious plans.

I'm not saying you won't or can't do it, just that you may need to cut yourself some slack.

With that in mind, and considering what you've posted, I think the most important tip I can give you is: remember that you're not a failure if you take more than 6 months to complete it.
Login to get fewer ads

Home studying tips on 20:38 - Nov 28 with 3045 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Home studying tips on 20:00 - Nov 28 by connorscontract

It's great to set an ambitious target, but I'd encourage you to review it after a month and see if you want to step down the hours a bit to allow more down-time. Sometimes life gets in the way of ambitious plans.

I'm not saying you won't or can't do it, just that you may need to cut yourself some slack.

With that in mind, and considering what you've posted, I think the most important tip I can give you is: remember that you're not a failure if you take more than 6 months to complete it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily I'm in a position (sort of) where I can just about afford to give it a really good crack over the next months.

It's going to be pretty tough and I may well end up taking longer. Will try not to put too much pressure on it as that wouldn't be conducive to learning...

I'll let you know how it's going after a little while. Cheers.

Home studying tips on 20:51 - Nov 28 with 3022 viewsbluefunk

Home studying tips on 20:38 - Nov 28 by ThisIsMyUsername

Yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily I'm in a position (sort of) where I can just about afford to give it a really good crack over the next months.

It's going to be pretty tough and I may well end up taking longer. Will try not to put too much pressure on it as that wouldn't be conducive to learning...

I'll let you know how it's going after a little while. Cheers.

The timetabling is vital, and I would recommend trying to vary the way you are working, for example, research on the web, reading, watching video, writing up summary notes an a topic, just to avoid boredom. Also, work in 20-30 minute segments if possible, then change something, eg the format, where you are working, get up and walk around, make a cuppa, whatever, the human attention span works to that rhythm.

If it fits your subject, try and set your self short term goals, so you feel like you are achieving something on a regular basis. As other have said, the support of others, whether they know your topic or not will be invaluable

Good luck
Home studying tips on 20:59 - Nov 28 with 3012 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Home studying tips on 20:51 - Nov 28 by bluefunk

The timetabling is vital, and I would recommend trying to vary the way you are working, for example, research on the web, reading, watching video, writing up summary notes an a topic, just to avoid boredom. Also, work in 20-30 minute segments if possible, then change something, eg the format, where you are working, get up and walk around, make a cuppa, whatever, the human attention span works to that rhythm.

If it fits your subject, try and set your self short term goals, so you feel like you are achieving something on a regular basis. As other have said, the support of others, whether they know your topic or not will be invaluable

Good luck

Great stuff... I will implement all of that in to my routine.

Thank you. It's much appreciated.

Home studying tips on 21:11 - Nov 28 with 2991 viewsreaper

I’ve been studying for the past 12 months alongside a full time job, it took me a while to find out what works for me personally, but it’s worth experimenting because everyone is different. For me...

Headphones in. Playlist of chillstep, dubstep, or sounds of thunderstorms depending on your mood and energy levels.

Don’t forget to take breaks - go for a short walk if possible but whatever you do don’t stick something on Netflix until you’re done for the day or having a long break.

Try and organise a dedicated study area, out of the way of distractions.

Short and often is better than a few long sessions. If you find yourself reading something without taking it in, you’re better off taking a quick break than struggling on.

Try and keep things interesting by testing yourself regularly, doing activities or thinking of examples (depending on what’s applicable).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024