Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... 09:45 - Jan 13 with 12824 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....it would be unfair for them to accept a debt write down wouldn't it !
Edit http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/12/carillion-lines-standby-administr

https://www.ft.com/content/e9f0f06c-f7b4-11e7-88f7-5465a6ce1a00 (access via link below)

Also.....why are Carillion (Tarmac) supplying 35,000 school meals a day ?

Here's a plan.......all those people incorrectly paid out small fortunes on shares in this company (on inaccurate accounting) in the past should be obliged to refund it.(the Directors etc) The Emperor has no clothes !

Edit the ft article can be viewed I hope via this

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ie=UTF-8&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=an
[Post edited 13 Jan 2018 10:30]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:07 - Jan 13 with 5550 viewsWD19

The gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ is significant in how people will view this.

You ‘have’ an FT subscription.
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:11 - Jan 13 with 5544 viewsNo9

This is potentially a much bigger scandal than the headlines suggest.
In the last 6 months or so, the DfT have awarded contracts to Carrillion worth circa £1.5 Bn despite knowing the company wasn't in sound financial health.

Despite what the shareholders have been handed it is now entirely possible (given Mr Graylings tendency to be fast and loose with public funds) the Taxpayer will step in to complete these works irrespective of costs.

This, & the fact reports show the government (DfT) to be at fault over the S.Rail debacle, the East coast rail fiasco & Abillio's performance, etc. etc. mean the workings of the DfT and the Secretary of State should be investigated in depth.

We are being shafted (again)
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:20 - Jan 13 with 5533 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:07 - Jan 13 by WD19

The gap between the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ is significant in how people will view this.

I was wondering about that, no, it just let me read the article...is the link no good then ?

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:22 - Jan 13 with 5530 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:11 - Jan 13 by No9

This is potentially a much bigger scandal than the headlines suggest.
In the last 6 months or so, the DfT have awarded contracts to Carrillion worth circa £1.5 Bn despite knowing the company wasn't in sound financial health.

Despite what the shareholders have been handed it is now entirely possible (given Mr Graylings tendency to be fast and loose with public funds) the Taxpayer will step in to complete these works irrespective of costs.

This, & the fact reports show the government (DfT) to be at fault over the S.Rail debacle, the East coast rail fiasco & Abillio's performance, etc. etc. mean the workings of the DfT and the Secretary of State should be investigated in depth.

We are being shafted (again)

Too big to fail v too small to succeed !

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:28 - Jan 13 with 5515 viewsStokieBlue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:07 - Jan 13 by WD19

Interestingly the gap between the haves and have nots is much smaller than in the 19th century.

Was watching a documentary the other day and Rockafellar had the equivalent of 1trn USD as his fortune and Carneggie has 600bn.

I'm not saying the existing gap is in any way right though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:36 - Jan 13 with 5509 viewsStokieBlue

That's not what the article says at all.

What it does say is the banks are unwilling to convert debt to equity unless the government can prove that Carillion has a long-term future.

This is actually the correct thing to do and is good for the public who have money or stakes in those banks. There would be two scenarios:

1) The banks refuse the conversion and Carillion defaults on the debt. The banks do take a write-down probably as much as 60% as the recovery value would be somewhere below 40% but they should have also hedged the 60% value with another instrument and thus the hit would be passed on to whoever sold the insurance.

2) The banks accept the switch and then watch as Carillions share price plummets to 0 and they lose all debt repayments, essentially a full write-off of the debt whilst Carillion goes bankrupt. If the government can prove this won't happen the banks will convert which is far more risky for them.

So in this case I don't see what your issue with the banks is, their position seems pretty fair for once.

SB

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:36 - Jan 13 with 5507 viewsNo9

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:22 - Jan 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Too big to fail v too small to succeed !

If you take a look at the list of contractors for things like Crossrail & HS2 it is clear most of the contracts have been taken by EU companies. Carrillion look to be the only UK Co who have got any work albiet with partners - which means the partners should cough up.
It also speaks volumes for the parlous state of the UK construction sector.
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:49 - Jan 13 with 5495 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:36 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

What it does say is the banks are unwilling to convert debt to equity unless the government can prove that Carillion has a long-term future.

This is actually the correct thing to do and is good for the public who have money or stakes in those banks. There would be two scenarios:

1) The banks refuse the conversion and Carillion defaults on the debt. The banks do take a write-down probably as much as 60% as the recovery value would be somewhere below 40% but they should have also hedged the 60% value with another instrument and thus the hit would be passed on to whoever sold the insurance.

2) The banks accept the switch and then watch as Carillions share price plummets to 0 and they lose all debt repayments, essentially a full write-off of the debt whilst Carillion goes bankrupt. If the government can prove this won't happen the banks will convert which is far more risky for them.

So in this case I don't see what your issue with the banks is, their position seems pretty fair for once.

SB

If Carillion goes under will the banks lose more than if it is propped up by inflated Government contracts and muddles on for a little longer ? Genuine question as I am a gardener not an 'expert' in corporate glass and mirrors !
Isn't it like a mini Iceland where short term pain would be for the best in the long run ?

Login to get fewer ads

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:54 - Jan 13 with 5488 viewsBlueBadger

Isn't the real issue here the problem with outsourcing public services to for-profit private sector groups?
If they don't record a profit(pretty difficult with a lot of public services) then they either withdraw services or require propping up at great expense to the taxpayer. And that's before you get into the expense involved in the administration and running of the process of outsourcing in the first place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:55 - Jan 13 with 5479 viewsNo9

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:36 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

SB

The question still remains as to why the DfT have handed Carrillion circa £1.5 Bn in rail contracts since last July, depsite the evidence the company was already in difficulties.
Their partners should have done some investigations relative to them being able to fund their part of the contract(s) so should bare the Carrillion pain NIT the taxpayer
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:57 - Jan 13 with 5477 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:54 - Jan 13 by BlueBadger

Isn't the real issue here the problem with outsourcing public services to for-profit private sector groups?
If they don't record a profit(pretty difficult with a lot of public services) then they either withdraw services or require propping up at great expense to the taxpayer. And that's before you get into the expense involved in the administration and running of the process of outsourcing in the first place.

That was pretty much why I mentioned the Tarmac school dinner bit.......bl00dy crazy !

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:01 - Jan 13 with 5473 viewsBlueBadger

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:57 - Jan 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

That was pretty much why I mentioned the Tarmac school dinner bit.......bl00dy crazy !

NHS contracting is going to be the new PFI. A couple of colleagues of mine are involved on the fringes of CCG commissioning and have strong suspicions that CCGs are being instructed to favour private contractors over NHS contractors even if they are more expensive as it will 'encourage more into the market'.
The Suffolk community nursing services farce with Serco is just a mere hint of what's to come.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:02 - Jan 13 with 5471 viewsfactual_blue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:01 - Jan 13 by BlueBadger

NHS contracting is going to be the new PFI. A couple of colleagues of mine are involved on the fringes of CCG commissioning and have strong suspicions that CCGs are being instructed to favour private contractors over NHS contractors even if they are more expensive as it will 'encourage more into the market'.
The Suffolk community nursing services farce with Serco is just a mere hint of what's to come.

Wasn't a Serco director on the ITFC board back in Sheepy's day?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:04 - Jan 13 with 5468 viewsBlueBadger

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:02 - Jan 13 by factual_blue

Wasn't a Serco director on the ITFC board back in Sheepy's day?

New Director Announced 29th Aug 2003 09:28
Town have announced that millionaire and lifelong fan Kevin Beeston will join the board. The club had previously revealed that there would be new directors while Lord Ryder and at least one other current board member are set to leave at November's AGM. 0

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:05 - Jan 13 with 5467 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:01 - Jan 13 by BlueBadger

Can I interest you in a pitchfork......we are producing them on a cooperative basis?

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:06 - Jan 13 with 5461 viewsfactual_blue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:04 - Jan 13 by BlueBadger

New Director Announced 29th Aug 2003 09:28
Town have announced that millionaire and lifelong fan Kevin Beeston will join the board. The club had previously revealed that there would be new directors while Lord Ryder and at least one other current board member are set to leave at November's AGM. 0

Indeed. He then set up Beestons Coaches.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:17 - Jan 13 with 5445 viewsBlueBadger

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:05 - Jan 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can I interest you in a pitchfork......we are producing them on a cooperative basis?

I'll buy it from Aldi, they're cheaper there and they don't take ages to serve you like they do in the co-op.

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 11:24 - Jan 13 with 5433 viewsBlueBadger

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:55 - Jan 13 by No9

The question still remains as to why the DfT have handed Carrillion circa £1.5 Bn in rail contracts since last July, depsite the evidence the company was already in difficulties.
Their partners should have done some investigations relative to them being able to fund their part of the contract(s) so should bare the Carrillion pain NIT the taxpayer

At a guess, the reason may be 'dogmatic insistence that the Efficient Private Sector Can Do No Wrong despite all the evidence to the contrary with outsourced an privatised public services coupled to utter incompetence'.

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 13:00 - Jan 13 with 5389 viewsStokieBlue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:49 - Jan 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

If Carillion goes under will the banks lose more than if it is propped up by inflated Government contracts and muddles on for a little longer ? Genuine question as I am a gardener not an 'expert' in corporate glass and mirrors !
Isn't it like a mini Iceland where short term pain would be for the best in the long run ?

Do you want a proper response?

SB

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 13:04 - Jan 13 with 5384 viewsJ2BLUE

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 10:28 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

Interestingly the gap between the haves and have nots is much smaller than in the 19th century.

Was watching a documentary the other day and Rockafellar had the equivalent of 1trn USD as his fortune and Carneggie has 600bn.

I'm not saying the existing gap is in any way right though.

SB

Oh you've done it now...

*waits*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:38 - Jan 14 with 5278 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 13:00 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

Do you want a proper response?

SB

Yes it is a genuine question.

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:41 - Jan 14 with 5272 viewsStokieBlue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:38 - Jan 14 by BanksterDebtSlave

Yes it is a genuine question.

OK I'll try and do one later on today.

SB

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:54 - Jan 14 with 5256 viewsimsureazzure

In a similar vein, I watched the movie The big short on Netflix last night, very entertaining and a decent insight into the big crash of 2007/2008.
I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 14:39 - Jan 14 with 5207 viewsGeoffSentence

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:54 - Jan 14 by imsureazzure

In a similar vein, I watched the movie The big short on Netflix last night, very entertaining and a decent insight into the big crash of 2007/2008.

Margot Robbie explains it very well.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 22:46 - Jan 14 with 5129 viewsStokieBlue

I see the banks want some more taxpayers' money...... on 12:41 - Jan 14 by StokieBlue

OK I'll try and do one later on today.

SB

No time today unfortunately.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024