Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations to Alastair Cook 12:54 - Sep 10 with 2128 viewsitfcjoe

A fine batsman and a fine man.

Going out as he came in, with a half century in first innings and a cenury in the second.

Amazing scenes, is he the best opener to ever play the game? He is for my money - longevity, reliability and runs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 12:55 - Sep 10 with 2105 viewsReuser_is_God

I think he probably is.

12 years, without let up, at the very top.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:02 - Sep 10 with 2075 viewsgainsboroughblue

Absolute class from the Indians clapping him off too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:05 - Sep 10 with 2059 viewsm14_blue

Superb, just superb.

I wish I was there today, one to tell the grandkids about.
Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:07 - Sep 10 with 2045 viewsSamuelowen88

Something in my eye

Poll: England v Wales Score

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:13 - Sep 10 with 2017 viewstiptreeblue

My mother can`t stand him. but i agree, i think he is the best opener to have ever played for England
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 13:14]
Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:19 - Sep 10 with 1996 viewscaught-in-limbo

Fantastic. Very happy for him.

The best opener in the game ever? Not sure about that. He's certainly up there with Boycott as one of the best English openers ever but Cook's a more likeable person.

To my mind though, they are both behind Sunil Gavaskar.

Gavaskar:

( http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=05 )

Cook: (there's a red and blue line missing from the end of the graph)

[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 13:32]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:19 - Sep 10 with 1990 viewsitfcjoe

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 12:55 - Sep 10 by Reuser_is_God

I think he probably is.

12 years, without let up, at the very top.

It seems all the top batsmen in history, both by numbers and how they are rated generally bat 3, 4 or 5.

To come in as number 1 every game, facing that rock hard brand new cherry against bowlers as fresh as they can be every single innings takes some doing. Nowhere to hide, and such an important role for the team.

Be interested to hear of any others that did, before my time but Sunil Gavasker probably is the number 1, but Cook must be England's - who else is there? Gooch maybe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:29 - Sep 10 with 1939 viewsElephantintheRoom

He's certainly the best England opener in the last 12 years. But probably nowhere near as good as Gooch, let alone a number of openers who played in a different era when test batting was fearsomely dangerous with no restrictions on how many unplayable deliveries you got.... West Indies fast bowlers in the 80s for example. Test matches were far more competitive in times past as well. Now they are shoehorned in with no build up between rounders games (20:20) and sundry other formats - and perhaps only England (sometimes) and Australia take test cricket seriously. Makes comparisons with previous generations difficult - which is a shame because crickets is a game of stats ruined by the overexposure of modern cricket.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 14:12 - Sep 10 with 1814 viewscaught-in-limbo

Can anyone tell me the last time there was an England 200run partnership?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 14:14 - Sep 10 with 1810 viewsGlebeTractor

I played against him when he was around 12/13 at Maldon. He was great then, awful bowler, but batting wise, was unbelievable even at that age.

Went to the Sri Lanka test when he was retired on 49 (I think) after ramping the ball over the keepers head for 4 at Lords, pure class.

EDIT: Yeah I was right. http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8484/scorecard/913617/england-vs-sri-lanka-3r
[Post edited 10 Sep 2018 14:18]

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 14:16 - Sep 10 with 1800 viewsbluewein

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 14:12 - Sep 10 by caught-in-limbo

Can anyone tell me the last time there was an England 200run partnership?

2016 Bairstow and Stokes in SA. Partnership was 399.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 07:28 - Sep 11 with 1574 viewsMaySixth

That was the best day I have had at cricket since the day we won the 2005 Ashes at the same venue

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 08:05 - Sep 11 with 1547 viewsMoulton

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 07:28 - Sep 11 by MaySixth

That was the best day I have had at cricket since the day we won the 2005 Ashes at the same venue

Were you the one wearing the ITFC shirt in the Peter May stand?
If so congratulations. Yes what a fantastic day, we were so lucky to have been there
Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 08:14 - Sep 11 with 1541 viewsMaySixth

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 08:05 - Sep 11 by Moulton

Were you the one wearing the ITFC shirt in the Peter May stand?
If so congratulations. Yes what a fantastic day, we were so lucky to have been there

No, wasn't me - I was between the gasholder and the vauxhall end
A privilege to be there

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 08:52 - Sep 11 with 1491 viewsRadlett_blue

Congratulations to Alastair Cook on 13:19 - Sep 10 by itfcjoe

It seems all the top batsmen in history, both by numbers and how they are rated generally bat 3, 4 or 5.

To come in as number 1 every game, facing that rock hard brand new cherry against bowlers as fresh as they can be every single innings takes some doing. Nowhere to hide, and such an important role for the team.

Be interested to hear of any others that did, before my time but Sunil Gavasker probably is the number 1, but Cook must be England's - who else is there? Gooch maybe

Openers from a different era such as Hutton, Hobbs & Sutcliffe averaged far more than Cook & don't tell me batting was easier in those days!
Looking to players I have actually seen, Boycott was statistically slightly better than Cook & Gooch slightly worse. Those three are without doubt the 3 outstanding openers England have had in my time of watching cricket.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024