Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saving the planet via road tax 17:13 - Oct 12 with 2309 viewsbritbiker

Until last month I ran a dirty 2litre 14 year old diesel medium sized van. I purchased it because I believed all the hype at the time about that engine being one of the best on the market. The road tax this year was £250.

I have just purchased a two year old 1.5 diesel small van which is euro6 and supposedly one of the cleanest diesel engines. My road tax is £250?

Had I purchased an older euro 4 or 5 engine which is not as clean then my tax would be £140ish.

I know that road tax is just another form of general taxation but the Government surely should at least pretend that the road tax bands are based on trying to do away with dirtier vehicles.

My wife just purchased a 1.6 three year old diesel car which I assume is euro 5. Her tax was £40.

Can anyone explain why euro 6 is dearer than the older 4and 5 before I harass the appropriate departments.
Saving the planet via road tax on 17:52 - Oct 12 with 2251 viewsNo9

The governments policy on diesels is at best, incoherent.
They say diesels are dirty BUT they are allowing rail companies to continue to use and increase teh numbers of diesels runnning into city centres on cc that's a lot of cars.
Now it looks as though they are going to let cruise liners tie up near the Thames barrier and run the genies 24 hours a day that's several thousand cars

Small petrol motorbikes pay more than small cars = ridiculous
Saving the planet via road tax on 18:04 - Oct 12 with 2230 viewsSwansea_Blue

You’ve answered your own question. It’s just another form of taxation. It WAS directly related to emissions (albeit not real world actuals). But isn’t any more.

For further evidence see also the premium £400/450 extra for vehicles over £40k when new, which still has to be paid by owners even if they pick up the car second hand for well under £40k. So it’s not even linked to ability to pay in some cases, and will be increasingly unfair as these vehicles become older (it only applies to vehicles ~<2 yrs old at the moment.

The Tories have always been a stealth tax party. See changes to income tax/NI contributions about 3 yrs ago - they cost me an extra £1,300 per year. Fine if that was ploughed back as extra investment in services, but it wasn’t.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Saving the planet via road tax on 18:07 - Oct 12 with 2227 viewsjjblue84

‘green’ taxes are not about saving the planet (how arrogant can man get!!) but generating revenue from you, enjoy!!
Saving the planet via road tax on 19:38 - Oct 12 with 2160 viewsbritbiker

Saving the planet via road tax on 18:04 - Oct 12 by Swansea_Blue

You’ve answered your own question. It’s just another form of taxation. It WAS directly related to emissions (albeit not real world actuals). But isn’t any more.

For further evidence see also the premium £400/450 extra for vehicles over £40k when new, which still has to be paid by owners even if they pick up the car second hand for well under £40k. So it’s not even linked to ability to pay in some cases, and will be increasingly unfair as these vehicles become older (it only applies to vehicles ~<2 yrs old at the moment.

The Tories have always been a stealth tax party. See changes to income tax/NI contributions about 3 yrs ago - they cost me an extra £1,300 per year. Fine if that was ploughed back as extra investment in services, but it wasn’t.

I tried to research it via many of the more popular motoring websites and its still as clear as mud. Many of them quote figures that don't correspond to the Dvla website.

I do try to do what I can in relation to waste and pollution but can't get my head around having a diesel that covers nearly 600 miles on one tank as opposed to switching to a petrol version and having to use an additional 30%more fuel for the same journey. I know it's different types of pollution but not really seen anything that compares like for like including the additional fuel used for petrol.

Plus there are not many petrol vans in circulation. Can't see that changing much if electric is being pushed as the main source going forward.
Saving the planet via road tax on 19:44 - Oct 12 with 2152 viewsm14_blue

I completely agree on principle but in reality it meant that people who could only afford an old banger were paying more tax than those rich enough to be driving round in sparkly new cars.

Not entirely sure I understand the new system though so no idea of it's any better.
Saving the planet via road tax on 19:45 - Oct 12 with 2162 viewsdickie

Good luck with the newer diesel when the injectors, egr valve and dpf filters coke up! I'll never have another modern diesel unless it's brand new with a long, decent manufacturers warranty
Saving the planet via road tax on 19:54 - Oct 12 with 2135 viewsbritbiker

Saving the planet via road tax on 19:45 - Oct 12 by dickie

Good luck with the newer diesel when the injectors, egr valve and dpf filters coke up! I'll never have another modern diesel unless it's brand new with a long, decent manufacturers warranty

I must admit my old van 2litre engine would have gone on forever, unfortunately other people kept crashing into me.

Having a 1.5does leave me worrying that it's not powerful enough for the job. I have unloaded all unnecessary tools and I don't push it too hard.

I guess the same is true with the little 1 litre motors that some manufactures are pushing forward in cars
Saving the planet via road tax on 23:35 - Oct 12 with 2003 viewsKievthegreat

Euro4, 5 & 6 are to do with NOx and particulates that are emitted out the tailpipes.

VEDs (road tax) is based on CO2 and is not about "dirtier vehicles" but is about reducing CO2 emissions.

They have nothing to do with one another in your case (the cleanliness of emissions does factor into cars that are registered after April 2018, but it's not the main factor in tax band and isn't relevant to your vehicles).
Login to get fewer ads

Saving the planet via road tax on 23:44 - Oct 12 with 1994 viewsKievthegreat

Saving the planet via road tax on 23:35 - Oct 12 by Kievthegreat

Euro4, 5 & 6 are to do with NOx and particulates that are emitted out the tailpipes.

VEDs (road tax) is based on CO2 and is not about "dirtier vehicles" but is about reducing CO2 emissions.

They have nothing to do with one another in your case (the cleanliness of emissions does factor into cars that are registered after April 2018, but it's not the main factor in tax band and isn't relevant to your vehicles).

Sorry, should have read that you were talking about vans. Turns out it's just a flat rate of £250 for LGVs under 3,500kg. The government clearly don't care what white van men pump out the back of their van when it comes to tax.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac
Saving the planet via road tax on 00:30 - Oct 13 with 1972 viewsbritbiker

Saving the planet via road tax on 23:44 - Oct 12 by Kievthegreat

Sorry, should have read that you were talking about vans. Turns out it's just a flat rate of £250 for LGVs under 3,500kg. The government clearly don't care what white van men pump out the back of their van when it comes to tax.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

I've done a bit more research and that does appear to be the case with vans.
Saving the planet via road tax on 01:08 - Oct 13 with 1945 viewsLord_Lucan

Gordon Brown told us to go and buy diesels because he is a useless tvvat.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Saving the planet via road tax on 11:01 - Oct 13 with 1823 viewssolemio

Saving the planet via road tax on 01:08 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

Gordon Brown told us to go and buy diesels because he is a useless tvvat.

"Go and buy diesels because I'm a useless tvvat."

Yes, I remember that speech very well.
Saving the planet via road tax on 16:53 - Oct 14 with 1694 viewsronnyd

Saving the planet via road tax on 19:54 - Oct 12 by britbiker

I must admit my old van 2litre engine would have gone on forever, unfortunately other people kept crashing into me.

Having a 1.5does leave me worrying that it's not powerful enough for the job. I have unloaded all unnecessary tools and I don't push it too hard.

I guess the same is true with the little 1 litre motors that some manufactures are pushing forward in cars

Just Google the Ford Ecoboost range of cars to see what a clusterf@ck that is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024