Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How about this for pressure? 10:35 - Dec 23 with 4937 viewsfactual_blue

Every year the King's College carol service is broadcast live around the world on Christmas Eve. The service starts with the hauntingly beautiful solo voice of a boy soprano singing Once In Royal David's City.

The soloist is chosen at the moment the broadcast starts, when the choir master points at one of the sopranos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46619530/king-s-college-
[Post edited 23 Dec 2018 10:35]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How about this for pressure? on 16:13 - Dec 23 with 4833 viewssolemio

There was an interesting documentary a couple of days ago about the last year in the life of this famous choir ostensibly because it is the centenary of the Christmas Eve Lessons and Carols service. The boys and the choral scholars (over 18 tenors and basses) acquire amazing self-discipline.

Different choir -St Pail's Cathedral - but Alastair Cook always says that this imposed discipline soon became self-discipline and stood him in very good stead in his cricket career.

Boys are trebles, not sopranos who are females. Sorry.
How about this for pressure? on 16:22 - Dec 23 with 4817 viewsjeera

How about this for pressure? on 16:13 - Dec 23 by solemio

There was an interesting documentary a couple of days ago about the last year in the life of this famous choir ostensibly because it is the centenary of the Christmas Eve Lessons and Carols service. The boys and the choral scholars (over 18 tenors and basses) acquire amazing self-discipline.

Different choir -St Pail's Cathedral - but Alastair Cook always says that this imposed discipline soon became self-discipline and stood him in very good stead in his cricket career.

Sexist.

What about castratos then? *He says in a deep, gruff voice - possibly the deepist, gruffist voice ever*.

And male sopranos. They're sopranos. And male.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

How about this for pressure? on 16:22 - Dec 23 with 4816 viewsjeera

I really hope they all know the words.

How about this for pressure? on 16:26 - Dec 23 with 4809 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One suspects the choir master has a fair idea who will be able to cope with the pressure.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How about this for pressure? on 16:29 - Dec 23 with 4798 viewssolemio

How about this for pressure? on 16:22 - Dec 23 by jeera

Sexist.

What about castratos then? *He says in a deep, gruff voice - possibly the deepist, gruffist voice ever*.

And male sopranos. They're sopranos. And male.

Yes, they are sometimes referred to as male sopranos, but in the classical world more commonly counter tenors or falsettos. Boys in choirs are trebles.

There are certainly people walking this earth who have been castrated, but sadly for non-musical reasons!!
How about this for pressure? on 16:33 - Dec 23 with 4786 viewsjeera

How about this for pressure? on 16:29 - Dec 23 by solemio

Yes, they are sometimes referred to as male sopranos, but in the classical world more commonly counter tenors or falsettos. Boys in choirs are trebles.

There are certainly people walking this earth who have been castrated, but sadly for non-musical reasons!!

Fair enough. I may be a little out of my depth on this. Once seeing 10 minutes of X Factor probably doesn't qualify me much.

I was just making a half-hearted attempt to get this year's argument out of the way before my Xmas dinner yorkshire pudding post.

Plus we're running out of time.

How about this for pressure? on 16:38 - Dec 23 with 4776 viewssolemio

It wouldn't be Christmas without the Yorkshire Pud thread on or around Christmas Day, even though all right thinking folk know that it should only be eaten with beef.

At least that is the belief of gentlemen of taste and distinction. Modesty forbids that I should name any such gentleman.
How about this for pressure? on 16:53 - Dec 23 with 4757 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How about this for pressure? on 16:38 - Dec 23 by solemio

It wouldn't be Christmas without the Yorkshire Pud thread on or around Christmas Day, even though all right thinking folk know that it should only be eaten with beef.

At least that is the belief of gentlemen of taste and distinction. Modesty forbids that I should name any such gentleman.

But they do taste good with the turkey and Christmas dinner wouldn't be Christmas dinner without trying to cram as much on the plate as possible.

Does that mean Callis doesn't get to eat Yorkshires at all or are there entirely different rules for vegetarians?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

How about this for pressure? on 17:05 - Dec 23 with 4739 viewssparks

How about this for pressure? on 16:26 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

One suspects the choir master has a fair idea who will be able to cope with the pressure.

Seems like quite a good idea actually. The nerves that come with knowing that you have to do something can really wreck you. If you dont know until the moment, you have no time to get wound up.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How about this for pressure? on 19:33 - Dec 23 with 4652 viewsbrazil1982

I always thought that was pre-recorded.
How about this for pressure? on 19:37 - Dec 23 with 4644 viewsSwansea_Blue

How about this for pressure? on 16:22 - Dec 23 by jeera

I really hope they all know the words.

If they don’t they can just do a Redwood. Bound to work, nobody would notice

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How about this for pressure? on 20:39 - Dec 23 with 4587 viewsPinewoodblue

How about this for pressure? on 16:33 - Dec 23 by jeera

Fair enough. I may be a little out of my depth on this. Once seeing 10 minutes of X Factor probably doesn't qualify me much.

I was just making a half-hearted attempt to get this year's argument out of the way before my Xmas dinner yorkshire pudding post.

Plus we're running out of time.

Onion rings?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How about this for pressure? on 21:28 - Dec 23 with 4555 viewsSibelius8

How about this for pressure? on 16:13 - Dec 23 by solemio

You're absolutely right about acquiring unique self-discipline. It's a superb musical training though you don't really appreciate it at the time. (I was a treble many years ago at Magdalen College Choir in Oxford and later a Choral Scholar at Cambridge)
How about this for pressure? on 21:36 - Dec 23 with 4542 viewssolemio

How about this for pressure? on 19:33 - Dec 23 by brazil1982

I always thought that was pre-recorded.

The tv version is pre-recorded, but the traditional 3pm Christmas Eve Nine Lessons and Carols is very much live.

My wife and I felt very privileged to be invited to the recording of the tv version a few years ago.
How about this for pressure? on 21:40 - Dec 23 with 4524 viewsericclacton

How about this for pressure? on 21:28 - Dec 23 by Sibelius8

You're absolutely right about acquiring unique self-discipline. It's a superb musical training though you don't really appreciate it at the time. (I was a treble many years ago at Magdalen College Choir in Oxford and later a Choral Scholar at Cambridge)

Ultimate.
How about this for pressure? on 21:44 - Dec 23 with 4518 viewsLord_Lucan

How about this for pressure? on 16:38 - Dec 23 by solemio

They're batter puddings actually.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How about this for pressure? on 08:15 - Dec 24 with 4341 viewssolemio

How about this for pressure? on 21:44 - Dec 23 by Lord_Lucan

They're batter puddings actually.

I like Yorkshire puddings, but some people think they're wasser.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024