Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
System Change? 16:58 - Jan 7 with 968 viewsKeaneish

A few have been calling out for it for a while and given how leaky our defence has been is it time to go back to the trusty 442? Big man / small man up top with a Skuse and Huw's central midfield pairing when both fit?

We're not exactly blessed for wide midfielders but between Lankester, Roberts, Rowe and Edwards and possibly Pilkington coming in we must be a bit more solid defensively and carry slightly more threat up top playing this shape, surely?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

System Change? on 17:00 - Jan 7 with 950 viewswkj

I'd just be happy to know what part of the 5 point plan we're currently on

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

System Change? on 17:01 - Jan 7 with 949 viewsHerbivore

Not really, all those wide players are very attacking so essentially you're exchanging a CM for another striker and that won't make us any more solid.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

System Change? on 17:09 - Jan 7 with 913 viewshomer_123

To be honest - I'd be happy to see us have a more thorough change.

Keeper - Gerks

RB - Chambers - CB - Donacien CB - Pennington - LB - Kenlocke
RM - Edwards - CM - Skuse - CM - Huws LM - Lankester
CF - Keane - CF Sears

Huws won't last 90, so Trev and Bish on the bench

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

System Change? on 17:09 - Jan 7 with 910 viewsKeaneish

System Change? on 17:01 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

Not really, all those wide players are very attacking so essentially you're exchanging a CM for another striker and that won't make us any more solid.

442 is a more solid shape than the 433 / 451 we have at the mo. Lankester and Sears in particular have been caught out a few times being higher up the pitch playing this system than they will be in a 442 (not that we want Sears to play wide any more).

The cover offered by the central three hasn't exactly been as adequate as it should be and 442 playing narrow without the ball is tighter than the system we have at the moment for me.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

System Change? on 17:11 - Jan 7 with 898 viewshomer_123

System Change? on 17:09 - Jan 7 by Keaneish

442 is a more solid shape than the 433 / 451 we have at the mo. Lankester and Sears in particular have been caught out a few times being higher up the pitch playing this system than they will be in a 442 (not that we want Sears to play wide any more).

The cover offered by the central three hasn't exactly been as adequate as it should be and 442 playing narrow without the ball is tighter than the system we have at the moment for me.

He's played 4.5.1 due to lack of threat up front, hoping that the 3 will offer more...it doesn't really as we can't hold the ball up long enough.

System Change? on 17:13 - Jan 7 with 892 viewsHerbivore

System Change? on 17:09 - Jan 7 by Keaneish

I just don't see it being the answer at all. How many of the goals we've been conceding have been down to the wide players getting caught too high up the pitch? Half seem to be from set pieces and the other half are rank bad defending from the back 4.

System Change? on 17:17 - Jan 7 with 879 viewshomer_123

System Change? on 17:13 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

I just don't see it being the answer at all. How many of the goals we've been conceding have been down to the wide players getting caught too high up the pitch? Half seem to be from set pieces and the other half are rank bad defending from the back 4.

Herbs, our single largest problem is the fact we cannot defend from the front. Our inability to hold the ball up means that we are constantly putting ourselves and our back four under pressure. Alleviating some of this pressure by having a front line that can hold the ball up an bring others into play will see our back four become more solid and less prone to individual mistakes as they have some breathing space.

The front 3 from Lambert hasn't able to do this sadly and it's causing us problems.

A change with Keane might well help be it in a 2 up front or 1 up supported by 2 wide men.

I'd like to see Sears up alongside Keane if I am honest, that 'feels' like goals or Jackson alongside him. That would offer more of a threat and give us an opportunity to spend some time in the opposing half for a change.

System Change? on 17:19 - Jan 7 with 874 viewsHerbivore

System Change? on 17:17 - Jan 7 by homer_123

Herbs, our single largest problem is the fact we cannot defend from the front. Our inability to hold the ball up means that we are constantly putting ourselves and our back four under pressure. Alleviating some of this pressure by having a front line that can hold the ball up an bring others into play will see our back four become more solid and less prone to individual mistakes as they have some breathing space.

The front 3 from Lambert hasn't able to do this sadly and it's causing us problems.

A change with Keane might well help be it in a 2 up front or 1 up supported by 2 wide men.

I'd like to see Sears up alongside Keane if I am honest, that 'feels' like goals or Jackson alongside him. That would offer more of a threat and give us an opportunity to spend some time in the opposing half for a change.

We've been spending plenty of time in the opposition half and keeping the ball hasn't been a huge issue, our use of it in the final third just hasn't been good enough. It's not like we're lumping it up and it's coming straight back at us, the personnel rather than the system as such looks to me to be the problem.

Login to get fewer ads

System Change? on 17:20 - Jan 7 with 867 viewsSwansea_Blue

System Change? on 17:00 - Jan 7 by wkj

I'd just be happy to know what part of the 5 point plan we're currently on

6. Rip it up and start again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

System Change? on 18:30 - Jan 7 with 781 viewshomer_123

System Change? on 17:19 - Jan 7 by Herbivore

We've been spending plenty of time in the opposition half and keeping the ball hasn't been a huge issue, our use of it in the final third just hasn't been good enough. It's not like we're lumping it up and it's coming straight back at us, the personnel rather than the system as such looks to me to be the problem.

Ball retention from our front three is most definitely an issue, sadly.

Lambert has admitted as such and there is a reason why Keane has been brought in. It isn't for his goal scoring.

System Change? on 18:44 - Jan 7 with 757 viewsfactual_blue

System Change? on 18:30 - Jan 7 by homer_123

Ball retention from our front three is most definitely an issue, sadly.

Lambert has admitted as such and there is a reason why Keane has been brought in. It isn't for his goal scoring.

Water retention is more of an issue for them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024