Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while 09:10 - Feb 28 with 1230 viewsStokieBlue

"Since 2003, China has poured more cement every two years than the US managed in the entire 20th century."

Just think about that. All the interstates, cities like New York, military bases, airports - everything over 100 years and China pours that much concrete every 2 years.

The projects from an engineering viewpoint are works of wonder, nobody can deny that but given concrete production accounts for 8% of the worlds CO2 production and is very bad for the environment it seems to be a hidden element not really discuss when environmental issues are raised.

The structures are all amazing, I'd love to see them but it's also interesting to consider this "hidden" cost.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/28/the-grey-wall-of-china-inside-the

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-is-tipping-us-into-clima

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:24 - Feb 28 with 1181 viewsLeaky

Interested to note that concrete producers 8% of the worlds co2. They have just poured 1000's of ton's of the stuff close to where I live to build 4 wind turbines
This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:28 - Feb 28 with 1167 viewschicoazul

that guy David Wallace Wells says basically the Chinese and the Indians are killing the planet and there is almost nothing we can do.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:32 - Feb 28 with 1151 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Does it include the concrete they are pouring in Africa?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:40 - Feb 28 with 1132 viewsWhymarkmariner

Yeah, but the US don't have as many gangsters as they used to.
This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:52 - Feb 28 with 1107 viewsWeWereZombies

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:24 - Feb 28 by Leaky

Interested to note that concrete producers 8% of the worlds co2. They have just poured 1000's of ton's of the stuff close to where I live to build 4 wind turbines

The bases and access roads for 'big' wind 'farms' are a, mostly, unrecognised threat to wild spaces. The John Muir Trust seems to be forever bogged down in having to fight planning developments instead of promoting other aims because of industrial interests. I am not saying abandon wind power, just keep it small scale so it has little or no impact (and is consequently producing energy closer to where it is going to be used so that transfer costs and impact are also kept low.)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:56 - Feb 28 with 1092 viewsStokieBlue

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:52 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

The bases and access roads for 'big' wind 'farms' are a, mostly, unrecognised threat to wild spaces. The John Muir Trust seems to be forever bogged down in having to fight planning developments instead of promoting other aims because of industrial interests. I am not saying abandon wind power, just keep it small scale so it has little or no impact (and is consequently producing energy closer to where it is going to be used so that transfer costs and impact are also kept low.)

There are numerous designs currently being tested for floating wind turbines that are anchored and thus don't need all the concrete on the mast.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:04 - Feb 28 with 1074 viewsBluefish

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:28 - Feb 28 by chicoazul

that guy David Wallace Wells says basically the Chinese and the Indians are killing the planet and there is almost nothing we can do.

If they have any oil we could blow them up and make them nicer places to live

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:32 - Feb 28 with 1020 viewsbluewein

Some pretty hard facts about cement there...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Login to get fewer ads

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:48 - Feb 28 with 985 viewsfooters

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 09:28 - Feb 28 by chicoazul

While it's all great for us to do our bit and reduce, reuse and recycle, as well as lobby MPs and companies to do more, this is sadly very true. The US is also a huge polluter. These are structural issues that require a huge amount of change, but sadly I don't see human greed and idiocy giving way in the near future.

But of course, that doesn't mean we shouldn't all continue being good eggs.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:54 - Feb 28 with 973 viewscaught-in-limbo

One man's progress is another man's destruction.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:56 - Feb 28 with 968 viewsfooters

This is bonkers if you stop and think about it for a while on 10:54 - Feb 28 by caught-in-limbo

One man's progress is another man's destruction.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024