Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done 10:17 - Apr 15 with 1460 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-47914210/what-does-the-world-s-largest-

Only started in 2016......2016!

The scale and speed at which they get sh*t done is like nothing we see here. I completely understand there are (sometimes) very good reasons why things here take longer but they really don't mess about do they.

Working with a company that is involved in HS2 I can tell you, even though money is being thrown at HS2, it's nothing even remotely like this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:21 - Apr 15 with 1437 viewsElderGrizzly

Amazing what you can do with a blatant disregard for worker’s rights and an expendable workforce
If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:22 - Apr 15 with 1427 viewshomer_123

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:21 - Apr 15 by ElderGrizzly

Amazing what you can do with a blatant disregard for worker’s rights and an expendable workforce

Oh, don't get me wrong, things are most definitely done differently there.

But the sheer amount of money they invest and the number of works involved simply dwarfs projects here (putting aside the issue you raise, which is clearly very important).

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:28 - Apr 15 with 1405 viewsElderGrizzly

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:22 - Apr 15 by homer_123

Oh, don't get me wrong, things are most definitely done differently there.

But the sheer amount of money they invest and the number of works involved simply dwarfs projects here (putting aside the issue you raise, which is clearly very important).

Agree, I get that and working with our China teams a fair bit, their work ethic is indeed a step above.

Communism eh? :)
If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:33 - Apr 15 with 1394 viewsLord_Lucan

I've banged on about this before.

I simply cannot explain how much China can build in a single year. Bullet trains, motorways through mountains etc, it is quite unbelievable. The main city I visit has been pretty much knocked down and rebuilt over the past decade.

Yes there regards to health and safety isn't the best but even if it were on par with us they would still have built HS2 ages ago - and HS3 and HS4.

I suppose they are at an advantage as they don't have The Great Crested Newt to worry about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:37 - Apr 15 with 1375 viewsLord_Lucan

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:28 - Apr 15 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, I get that and working with our China teams a fair bit, their work ethic is indeed a step above.

They are anything but communists!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:45 - Apr 15 with 1351 viewsGeoffSentence

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:33 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

I simply cannot explain how much China can build in a single year. Bullet trains, motorways through mountains etc, it is quite unbelievable. The main city I visit has been pretty much knocked down and rebuilt over the past decade.

Yes there regards to health and safety isn't the best but even if it were on par with us they would still have built HS2 ages ago - and HS3 and HS4.

I suppose they are at an advantage as they don't have The Great Crested Newt to worry about.

We also have to consider people who live in the way of, or near to, these things. I for one am jolly glad that we take our time and don't just disregard those who are affected.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:46 - Apr 15 with 1338 viewshomer_123

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:45 - Apr 15 by GeoffSentence

We also have to consider people who live in the way of, or near to, these things. I for one am jolly glad that we take our time and don't just disregard those who are affected.

There are definitely things we do that are the 'right' thing to do but even putting that to one side, the pace they work is unreal.

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:47 - Apr 15 with 1334 viewsGeoffSentence

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:46 - Apr 15 by homer_123

There are definitely things we do that are the 'right' thing to do but even putting that to one side, the pace they work is unreal.

I have to admit that the concept of on time and on budget would be welcome here.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:48 - Apr 15 with 1330 viewshomer_123

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:33 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

What gets me is that they build cities (yes, cities) and then populate them.

They put the new High Speed rail in recently in Beijing (can't quite remember the route) but one of the stops is a brand new city - complete with roads, rail (normal), hundreds of blocks of flats and housing, and everything else - they are now ready to pop people into them.

How much more efficient is that!!?!?!

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:48 - Apr 15 with 1325 viewshomer_123

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:47 - Apr 15 by GeoffSentence

I have to admit that the concept of on time and on budget would be welcome here.

Quite!

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:50 - Apr 15 with 1317 viewschicoazul

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:47 - Apr 15 by GeoffSentence

They dont have budgets.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 11:14 - Apr 15 with 1272 viewsfactual_blue

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:28 - Apr 15 by ElderGrizzly

The Chinese work ethic and communal spirit is more deeply embedded in Chinese culture than Communism could have achieved in less than a century.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 11:26 - Apr 15 with 1265 viewsNo9

Some of the answer is in how this government manage Procurement & Contract Awards.
The West Coast main rail is a good example
I read an article in a construction journal that point out, using government in house contractors, Swiss rail build rail Per Km at less than half the quoted cost for HS2

It needs investigating - look who is involved & how it is managed would you ever get a sensible priced construction contract?
If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 11:54 - Apr 15 with 1201 viewsElderGrizzly

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:37 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

They are anything but communists!

Sorry, it was a very sarcastic ‘communism’ post.
If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 14:39 - Apr 15 with 1076 viewsLord_Lucan

If you are going to build infrastructure, don't mess about, just get it done on 10:48 - Apr 15 by homer_123

What gets me is that they build cities (yes, cities) and then populate them.

They put the new High Speed rail in recently in Beijing (can't quite remember the route) but one of the stops is a brand new city - complete with roads, rail (normal), hundreds of blocks of flats and housing, and everything else - they are now ready to pop people into them.

How much more efficient is that!!?!?!

I cannot describe their work ethic and forward thinking. They built the Beijing to HK high speed train in about 7 years I think, this isn't 300 km (Manchester to London) it's over 2000km. I have been from Guangzhou to Changsha and it's amazing. Travels at about 350km per hour, when it gets from A to B they don't turn the train round they just spin all the seats round. The train stations are like airports. They had three classes and because it was so cheap I went in top class, it was crazy, every time I got up they mopped the floor behind me as I walked - it was a bit offputting tbh.

The main city I go to is Liuyang, it was apparent a few years back that the infrastructure wouldn't be adequate for expansion so bit by bit they knocked it down and started again It is unrecognisable year by year. Back in the early 2000's they didn't have enough electricity to power anything at night (including the only hotel for foreigners), you had to sleep in your clothes as it was freezing. Now the city has everything. As a very small city by Chinese standards Liuyang central has a population of 1.5m, but that's central only - Liuyang has 26 towns in it.

Quite simply they are an amazing people and it is an amazing nation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024