Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Northern Europe trip 18:35 - Jun 9 with 1657 viewsAscotBlue

Got a work trip to Hamburg coming up later in the month. Planning to take a few days off the back of it to visit Copenhagen & Malmö. Would much appreciate any tips for "must see" places, bars or eateries in any of them. Thanks in advance
Northern Europe trip on 18:41 - Jun 9 with 1642 viewsnoggin

Forget Malmo and try Aarhus, Denmark's second city. It's a university city so plenty of decent bars and restaurants. Also much cheaper than Malmo. I've been to Malmo a couple of times and always thought it was a bit boring.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 19:26]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Northern Europe trip on 18:57 - Jun 9 with 1604 viewsWeWereZombies

I was not blown away with Christiania but this is not a bad little film about it:

There was also a segment about the place on Rageeh Omar's 'Assignment' programme on ITV recently. Apart from this there is a good National Museum, and I can't remember now whether I am getting recollections mixed up with Helsinki but I do know I liked Copenhagen a lot.

Never been to Sweden.

[edit] Seeing noggin's reply has reminded me that outside Copenhagen but easily visited by train to the west is Roskilde which has a good Viking ship/ shipbuilding museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Ship_Museum_(Roskilde)

and the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art to the north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Museum_of_Modern_Art

Also, there is one hell of a lot to see and do in Hamburg itself.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 19:10]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Northern Europe trip on 19:06 - Jun 9 with 1594 viewsallezlesbleus

Loved Copenhagen when we stayed there for the Helsingborg match.

People were really friendly and loved to party. We went to a club in Copenhagen after the match and we thought it was mental. We were in the bar towards the back and every 15 minutes or so, it all kicked off at the bottom of the stairs, by the dancefloor. This went on for an hour or so, before we realised that it was drunk people falling down the stairs, who then took out other people on the way down, before they ended up in a pile at the bottom of the stairs. As they were all so drunk, they all kept falling over, whilst trying to help each other up! Some locals came up to us and asked what was wrong with us. We asked them what they meant, and they said, you've been downing pint after pint, but you are acting exactly the same as when you arrived. (They didn't know that we had been on a session for the past 36 hours or so). It all got a bit messy after they got us onto black vodka.

Can't recommend any places, but they were all very friendly (but a bit pricey).
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 19:07]
Northern Europe trip on 23:22 - Jun 9 with 1508 viewsStokieBlue

Northern Europe trip on 18:57 - Jun 9 by WeWereZombies

I was not blown away with Christiania but this is not a bad little film about it:

There was also a segment about the place on Rageeh Omar's 'Assignment' programme on ITV recently. Apart from this there is a good National Museum, and I can't remember now whether I am getting recollections mixed up with Helsinki but I do know I liked Copenhagen a lot.

Never been to Sweden.

[edit] Seeing noggin's reply has reminded me that outside Copenhagen but easily visited by train to the west is Roskilde which has a good Viking ship/ shipbuilding museum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Ship_Museum_(Roskilde)

and the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art to the north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Museum_of_Modern_Art

Also, there is one hell of a lot to see and do in Hamburg itself.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 19:10]

I thought Christiania was actually rather rubbish.

Copenhagen in the main is lovely though.

The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art is my favourite gallery in the world I think, great art is a stunning location. It's a must see.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Northern Europe trip on 23:47 - Jun 9 with 1489 viewsSpruceMoose

Northern Europe trip on 23:22 - Jun 9 by StokieBlue

I thought Christiania was actually rather rubbish.

Copenhagen in the main is lovely though.

The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art is my favourite gallery in the world I think, great art is a stunning location. It's a must see.

SB

I make you right. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Gave it a quick walk through and bogged off to go look at the world's smallest mermaid statue.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Northern Europe trip on 11:54 - Jun 10 with 1405 viewsTractorWood

Hamburg is ok. Lots of bars. Thought Copenhagen pleasant but also was a pretty tedious place, very quiet, not much going on.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Northern Europe trip on 12:19 - Jun 10 with 1384 viewsSE1blue

Copenhagen is a great little city and I would recommend doing a city boat cruise
- which are not too expensive so you can get your bearings. Otherwise you can walk most of it.

Like someone else has said, it’s a quiet city during the day - apart from when cruise ships arrive. If you want to eat outside on Nyhavn I’d suggest booking a table early in the morning.

Copenhagen is full of absolutely beautiful people - just push your lower jaw up from time to time.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Northern Europe trip on 12:39 - Jun 10 with 1367 viewsRadlett_blue

Northern Europe trip on 23:47 - Jun 9 by SpruceMoose

I make you right. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Gave it a quick walk through and bogged off to go look at the world's smallest mermaid statue.

The Little Mermaid is without doubt the most bewildering "tourist attraction" that I have ever seen. Loads of people crowd around the edge of the water to try to take a picture of a tiny statue, which has been damaged, defaced and restored many times.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Northern Europe trip on 12:45 - Jun 10 with 1359 viewsSE1blue

Northern Europe trip on 12:39 - Jun 10 by Radlett_blue

The Little Mermaid is without doubt the most bewildering "tourist attraction" that I have ever seen. Loads of people crowd around the edge of the water to try to take a picture of a tiny statue, which has been damaged, defaced and restored many times.

And good luck trying to get a look at it without someone trout pouting for Instagram in front of it.

‘Dis is me looking ace with the fish lady of Copenhagen. I think she was Queen if Denmark of sumfink’

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024