Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? 16:21 - Jan 19 with 1320 viewstractordownsouth

It was streamed on social media, i managed to see most of it even if the quality wasn't great.

Keir Starmer:
Pretty solid performance. He's clearly pitching himself to both the centre and left with his " Don't trash the last Labour government or the last four years" line. Was more chaismatic than usual but does need to smile a little more. Definitely seems very statesmanlike and his line about moving on from the referendum is likely to resonate more than Phillips not ruling out rejoining.

Rebecca Long Bailey:
Again, was surprisingly charismatic and does have a decent story to tell with regards to the poverty in the North ( even if the dates have been disputed). Whilst her policy of scrapping the House of Lords is an interesting one, I'm not so sure that it's a key issue. Won't be voting for her however, as her 10/10 rating for Corbyn rhetoric isn't going to win back the people that Corbyn himself lost.

Jess Phillips:
Quite a poor performance, was disappointed - not enough character as she usually shows and I'm not sure she's got the control. Although she did make a good point about RLB's House of Lords policy not being on the doorstep. I started off thinking I'd vote for her but she's now my third choice. Would definitely have her in the shadow cabinet though, perhaps as Home Secretary.

Emily Thornberry:
I won't be voting for her but she put in a very good shift and showed herself to be a good speaker. However, she's unfortunately the epitome of the Labour 'elite' image, which we need to shift. And whilst I agree with a lot of what she has to say, her tone can be seen as quite condascending and isn't likely to win us the next GE. She did interestingly say that if she felt that her name was a drag on the Labour ticket before said election, she'd resign as leader.

Lisa Nandy:
It's a toss up between her and Keir for me. Both of them made good points about being able to criticise the Israeli government without making anti-semitic statements, and are both in favour of the internationally recognised definition. Her focus on towns and northern areas is a much needed approach, because localising politics and decentralising power and investment from London ( she mentioned something about giving power to local councils) is likely to be a vote winner.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 17:54 - Jan 19 with 1256 viewsLord_Lucan

Thing is TDS, the best does not always win leadership - and with Labour not even the most popular wins.

I can't see Labour being nutty enough to elect RLB but they never cease to amaze me.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 18:07 - Jan 19 with 1232 viewsJ2BLUE

If you lot don't appoint Starmer you're mad.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 18:59 - Jan 19 with 1183 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 17:54 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

Thing is TDS, the best does not always win leadership - and with Labour not even the most popular wins.

I can't see Labour being nutty enough to elect RLB but they never cease to amaze me.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the momentum membership isn't as large as I thought it was, and Starmer may appeal to that lot anyway, considering he was 'loyal' to Corbyn. The current polls have Starmer beating RLB comfortably in the last round of voting, I'd take that.

The deadline for joining the party is tomorrow, before the hustings have properly begun, so there won't be people joining to vote for the momentum candidate like there was last time.

I'll get behind whoever wins as I think they'd be more competent than Johnson, but if RLB wins our task of winning will get 10x harder.

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 19:00 - Jan 19 with 1176 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 18:07 - Jan 19 by J2BLUE

If you lot don't appoint Starmer you're mad.

Toss up between Mr Starms and Lisa Nandy. Why not join the party? Deadline's tomorrow at 5pm if you want to vote in the leadership contest.

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 19:59 - Jan 19 with 1103 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 17:54 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

I wonder if [REDACTED] is going to vote?

He bottled out last time IIRC

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 21:37 - Jan 19 with 1019 viewsStokieBlue

Seems Phillips isn't a fan:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/19/hustings-labour-leader-jes

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 22:39 - Jan 19 with 979 viewsGuthrum

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 21:37 - Jan 19 by StokieBlue

Seems Phillips isn't a fan:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/19/hustings-labour-leader-jes

SB

As leader of a major political party (potentially of the country), you need to be able to keep track of multiple lines and to be able to get your messages across in a concise and clear fashion. Emotion is not enough, however honestly expressed.

She is also missing the point somewhat. Hustings are not about presenting plans, but about demonstrating the ability to sieze control of a debate and dominate the room. That is what party leaders and PMs need to do in cabinet and on the international stage. It's what voters expect.

Also, you can't compare issues like national economics or knife crime to moving on a few illegally parked cars. There's a whole different level of complexity there and not all factors are on your side or under you control. Dynamic leadership has to be balanced with patience and pragmatism.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 08:14 - Jan 20 with 860 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone watch the Labour hustings from Liverpool yesterday? on 22:39 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

As leader of a major political party (potentially of the country), you need to be able to keep track of multiple lines and to be able to get your messages across in a concise and clear fashion. Emotion is not enough, however honestly expressed.

She is also missing the point somewhat. Hustings are not about presenting plans, but about demonstrating the ability to sieze control of a debate and dominate the room. That is what party leaders and PMs need to do in cabinet and on the international stage. It's what voters expect.

Also, you can't compare issues like national economics or knife crime to moving on a few illegally parked cars. There's a whole different level of complexity there and not all factors are on your side or under you control. Dynamic leadership has to be balanced with patience and pragmatism.

Also, the Labour party needs to be full of leaders at all levels, it's not like there can only be one - the senior ministers still need to lead departments - but the main leader has to be the one that can cut through the rubbish and deliver the messages

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024