Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our current status as a club.... 15:37 - Jan 31 with 1619 viewsChrisd

I appreciate it's ME's money and it's always easier to spend other people's wealth, but I really believe we are a club that genuinely lacks any ambition anymore. Yes, we have the same old argument each time this topic raises it's head from time to time: ME is putting his own money in and keeping us afloat, the finances in football are too much for him or this is now how he wants to run the club. However, when in the Championship season on season, the money invested in the squad was reduced, you could see in the quality of player we were attracting and the steady decline and now in League One it's the bare minimum, in fact we have no money available for deals according to reports!

Sometimes when ME addressees us all, I like what he has to say and naively get sucked in believing his words to be true, but in the cold light of day he doesn't fully commit with his actions and it's a half-hearted token effort. I just never learn. I suppose I'm just a very frustrated supporter, we are right in the mix of a promotion push and it could still go either way, but I still feel we could do with a couple of 'quality' additions to help PL get us over the line. Although I don't know what goes on behind closed doors at PR, there just seems this general reluctance from our owner to put his hand in his pocket to help when it really matters. Jokingly, I suggested that the League One financial constraints would ideally suit ME's approach earlier in the season, perhaps with his lack of support remaining in this division is all he wants and that is the limit of our ambition for this once great club? You just wonder how long under ME's leadership will it be before League 2 will be the target, as financially keeping us in League One is too much for him to sustain, like in the Championship.

I really enjoy reading the threads and posts on here, so I've got my fingers crossed that this topic will allow some of us to share our grievances in the knowledge you're amongst friends.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 15:46]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our current status as a club.... on 15:59 - Jan 31 with 1563 viewsHipsterectomy

The worrying thing is that we have not shown any real consistent quality this season. We may well go up, maybe even comfortably in the end, but God help us next year. Our financial situation will only be marginally improved as well.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Our current status as a club.... on 16:00 - Jan 31 with 1560 viewsSouperJim

It's a question of risk. If he puts an extra £5m in to try and get us back up, then we fail, that's £5m down the toilet. That kind of spending also doesn't go unnoticed, the price on everything goes up in the future etc.

He has spoken recently about trying to make us sustainable. As you said right at the top, it's easy to spend other people's wealth, but he's done what, £50m+ down us? Where has it got him? Of course much of it spent poorly in hindsight, but what's to say another roll of the dice would serve him any better?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Our current status as a club.... on 16:25 - Jan 31 with 1506 viewsChrisd

Our current status as a club.... on 16:00 - Jan 31 by SouperJim

It's a question of risk. If he puts an extra £5m in to try and get us back up, then we fail, that's £5m down the toilet. That kind of spending also doesn't go unnoticed, the price on everything goes up in the future etc.

He has spoken recently about trying to make us sustainable. As you said right at the top, it's easy to spend other people's wealth, but he's done what, £50m+ down us? Where has it got him? Of course much of it spent poorly in hindsight, but what's to say another roll of the dice would serve him any better?

From my point of view, ME's ownership will be looked upon as an endless array of bad decisions on top of bad decisions. It's laughable at times. The club desperately needs to break the cycle and so does ME, he needs to find alternative investment and move on. It seems this black cloud continues to hover over us while ME is at the helm, once he goes the cloud will lift and the sun will glisten brightly once more over PR. Well, in my head that's what I'm imagining.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 16:52]

Agreed on 16:36 - Jan 31 with 1488 viewsDyland

Our current status as a club.... on 15:59 - Jan 31 by Hipsterectomy

The worrying thing is that we have not shown any real consistent quality this season. We may well go up, maybe even comfortably in the end, but God help us next year. Our financial situation will only be marginally improved as well.

A lot riding on the next few games. I'm hoping our limp showing at Rotherham was just a bad game and we'll show up against Posh. I have my doubts. Quite liked Lambert's responses today though, and at least he hasn't lost a sense of humour. We shall see how he/we respond. COYFB.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 16:36]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Our current status as a club.... on 17:15 - Jan 31 with 1413 viewsElephantintheRoom

What do you mean by ambition? The club is a Marcus Evans investment vehicle - NOT a football club. No matter how ineptly he runs it there will, by serendipity, be money rolling in....its a fairly unusual investment - but potentially a good one - and a bad one.

Wickham delivered £8million - almost what he paid for the club and he arrived because his dad was based at colchester. Mings brought in more than £10million - more than Evans actually paid for the club because Russel Osman's son played with him. Woolfenden wasnt't deemed good enough to play for the club last year and will be solf for a few million more at the end of his one season. Not many investments can pull in so much so often by blind luck

All this has to be offset from what Evans makes year on year - and what he could make IF the club reaches the premier league. I dont think his ambition has changed one iota since he bought the club... its a very poorly regulated cash cow ...which could yield a lottery win with one year in the Prem.

Sheff U are currently showing that this is entirely feasible from a position of ridicule in the third division. The difference is of course is that they are a football club - not an investment.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Our current status as a club.... on 17:48 - Jan 31 with 1364 viewsChrisd

Our current status as a club.... on 17:15 - Jan 31 by ElephantintheRoom

What do you mean by ambition? The club is a Marcus Evans investment vehicle - NOT a football club. No matter how ineptly he runs it there will, by serendipity, be money rolling in....its a fairly unusual investment - but potentially a good one - and a bad one.

Wickham delivered £8million - almost what he paid for the club and he arrived because his dad was based at colchester. Mings brought in more than £10million - more than Evans actually paid for the club because Russel Osman's son played with him. Woolfenden wasnt't deemed good enough to play for the club last year and will be solf for a few million more at the end of his one season. Not many investments can pull in so much so often by blind luck

All this has to be offset from what Evans makes year on year - and what he could make IF the club reaches the premier league. I dont think his ambition has changed one iota since he bought the club... its a very poorly regulated cash cow ...which could yield a lottery win with one year in the Prem.

Sheff U are currently showing that this is entirely feasible from a position of ridicule in the third division. The difference is of course is that they are a football club - not an investment.

We’re the furthest we’ve ever been away from the EPL both on the field and off it. This is where the ambition is lost for me, if you want to get back into the big league plans need to be put in place and investments made on bringing in key players to improve the squad. ME doesn’t really do that. I genuinely believe he ‘hopes’ something miraculous happens to gets us back to the promised land instead of actually being proactive and doing something about it.

Our current status as a club.... on 22:13 - Jan 31 with 1279 viewsportmanroadblue

Our current status as a club.... on 17:48 - Jan 31 by Chrisd

We’re the furthest we’ve ever been away from the EPL both on the field and off it. This is where the ambition is lost for me, if you want to get back into the big league plans need to be put in place and investments made on bringing in key players to improve the squad. ME doesn’t really do that. I genuinely believe he ‘hopes’ something miraculous happens to gets us back to the promised land instead of actually being proactive and doing something about it.

If the rumours are true about us being up for sale, then his sales team are pretty sh*t, if a seriously rich person wants to fork out £300 mil on a struggling prem team, why can’t MEs sales team work there magic and Get someone to buy MEs debt for £100mil, invest £50mil and in two years we get into the premier and get their money back for going up and at the same time sticking two fingers up to all the existing prem owners who have bank rolled millions for taking on a prem clubs?
Our current status as a club.... on 00:26 - Feb 1 with 1187 viewsmadmouse1959

Year after year it gets a bit boring. We hang on to the "hangers on" clinging to a pay day . It has all become too predictable. Evans will just plod on, spending as little as he can and still hopes a miracle will happen. On top of that we have Lambert asking the fans to do their bit.
Of course Evans will always cash in the better players.

shampoo dave

Login to get fewer ads

Our current status as a club.... on 01:51 - Feb 1 with 1166 viewspatrickswell

Don’t get taken in Chris. He’s the stupidest man in football. And the day he sells up and gets out will be one to celebrate.
Our current status as a club.... on 06:38 - Feb 1 with 1083 viewstractorboy1978

Our current status as a club.... on 22:13 - Jan 31 by portmanroadblue

If the rumours are true about us being up for sale, then his sales team are pretty sh*t, if a seriously rich person wants to fork out £300 mil on a struggling prem team, why can’t MEs sales team work there magic and Get someone to buy MEs debt for £100mil, invest £50mil and in two years we get into the premier and get their money back for going up and at the same time sticking two fingers up to all the existing prem owners who have bank rolled millions for taking on a prem clubs?

The idea that in your mind someone would effectively pay £100m for a L1 club is hilarious. And you've seen time and time again that simply spending money doesn't guarantee you promotion.
Our current status as a club.... on 07:59 - Feb 1 with 996 viewsbournemouthblue

Our current status as a club.... on 15:59 - Jan 31 by Hipsterectomy

Well indeed, some progress has been made but we are a long way short of having the quality to do anything in the Championship

We'll be shopping again in the bargain bucket whilst rivals spend their parachute payments

Beyond producing the next Darren Bent, Ambrose, Westlake, Supple etc etc and building a team with some talented academy developments as our core

We aren't going to do much, I would in fairness suggest the current batch of youngsters we have is as goodna batch as we have had for some time

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Our current status as a club.... on 10:45 - Feb 1 with 928 viewsElephantintheRoom

Our current status as a club.... on 06:38 - Feb 1 by tractorboy1978

The idea that in your mind someone would effectively pay £100m for a L1 club is hilarious. And you've seen time and time again that simply spending money doesn't guarantee you promotion.

Ipswich is a backwater. There is a possibility that somebody could run the club correctly and maybe even reach and survive in the Prem for a year or two - but that's it, anything else is impossible.purely on a gegraphic and economic basis.That applies to just about every team currently in the championship... and a few in this division.

Evans bought the club for what?... £8.5 million allegedly plus some bells and whistles that he threw away. So what is the club worse now it is in amuch worse position at everey level? Much less even allowing for football inflation.

Anyone fancying a punt on a football club in this region is far more likely to eye up Norwich first, then Cambridge - and then probably Luton before running their slide rule over Town. Simple economics and geography.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024