Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Their penalty.... 14:29 - Feb 2 with 3782 viewsBanburyBlue

I really cant understand how that was given! The ref did not give it, the linesman was not up with play and did not flag (unless someone saw him do it ?) how then was it a pen? Ref and linesman completely incompetent for the whole game, no excuse for us losing though.

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Their penalty.... on 14:35 - Feb 2 with 3353 viewsSwailsey

That was my major annoyance and of those near me.

It was 100% a penalty - clear cut, no doubts.

But who the fcuk decided it? Much like Chambers’ disallowed goal.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Their penalty.... on 14:37 - Feb 2 with 3335 viewspointofblue

Their penalty.... on 14:35 - Feb 2 by Swailsey

That was my major annoyance and of those near me.

It was 100% a penalty - clear cut, no doubts.

But who the fcuk decided it? Much like Chambers’ disallowed goal.

I can only presume the assistant referee communciated with the referee via his earpiece/mic rather than waving his flag.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Their penalty.... on 14:38 - Feb 2 with 3331 viewsNthsuffolkblue

And having been given, how was it not a red card?

Norris went the right way for the penalty but did not seem to stretch his arms out. Would he have saved it if he had?

How did Norris allow himself to be caught on the ball by Szmodics too?

Will Holy start against Sunderland? Surely he has to!

Only 11 players seem to have put in a worse performance than the officials!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Their penalty.... on 14:39 - Feb 2 with 3314 viewsSwailsey

Their penalty.... on 14:37 - Feb 2 by pointofblue

I can only presume the assistant referee communciated with the referee via his earpiece/mic rather than waving his flag.

I thought they didn’t have that technology here?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Their penalty.... on 14:52 - Feb 2 with 3257 viewsHerbivore

Their penalty.... on 14:38 - Feb 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

And having been given, how was it not a red card?

Norris went the right way for the penalty but did not seem to stretch his arms out. Would he have saved it if he had?

How did Norris allow himself to be caught on the ball by Szmodics too?

Will Holy start against Sunderland? Surely he has to!

Only 11 players seem to have put in a worse performance than the officials!

It was a genuine attempt to play the ball so not a red card. I thought Norris's attempt to save it was a little half hearted.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Their penalty.... on 14:54 - Feb 2 with 3246 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Their penalty.... on 14:52 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

It was a genuine attempt to play the ball so not a red card. I thought Norris's attempt to save it was a little half hearted.

Not sure it was. He was behind the player and stood no chance of getting the ball without getting the player first.

Perhaps if I watched it again I might change my view but Mills and Woolley on the radio thought at first it would be a red card too.

Their penalty.... on 14:56 - Feb 2 with 3223 viewsbahri

Their penalty.... on 14:39 - Feb 2 by Swailsey

The referees and linesman are mic'd up.
No goal line technology thou, which is poor
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 14:58]

redandella

Their penalty.... on 14:56 - Feb 2 with 3221 viewspointofblue

Their penalty.... on 14:39 - Feb 2 by Swailsey

That's the only thing I can think of as I can't see how the assistant referee communicated with the referee otherwise.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Their penalty.... on 15:02 - Feb 2 with 3187 viewsHerbivore

Their penalty.... on 14:54 - Feb 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not sure it was. He was behind the player and stood no chance of getting the ball without getting the player first.

Perhaps if I watched it again I might change my view but Mills and Woolley on the radio thought at first it would be a red card too.

It's definitely an attempted tackle, he doesn't get too far away from getting a toe on the ball. It would have been very controversial to send him off given it was an attempted tackle and not a trip or a pull.

Their penalty.... on 15:14 - Feb 2 with 3143 viewsGarv

Their penalty.... on 14:56 - Feb 2 by bahri

The referees and linesman are mic'd up.
No goal line technology thou, which is poor
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 14:58]

I think it's a disgrace to be honest.

The premier league play a different sport to the rest of us these days. It must affect how refs and assistants officiate?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Their penalty.... on 15:23 - Feb 2 with 3106 viewsbahri

Their penalty.... on 15:14 - Feb 2 by Garv

I think it's a disgrace to be honest.

The premier league play a different sport to the rest of us these days. It must affect how refs and assistants officiate?

Agree.
The differing standards of technology is a disgrace.
In the F.A. Cup if the game is at Premier League ground they use VAR if not they don't. It's double standards.
The rules are not consistent.
Makes our governing bodies a laughing stock.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 15:24]

redandella

Their penalty.... on 15:29 - Feb 2 with 3074 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Their penalty.... on 15:23 - Feb 2 by bahri

Agree.
The differing standards of technology is a disgrace.
In the F.A. Cup if the game is at Premier League ground they use VAR if not they don't. It's double standards.
The rules are not consistent.
Makes our governing bodies a laughing stock.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 15:24]

I disagree.

A pitch suitable for use in League 2 might be deemed unfit for the Premier League.

The equipment used for marking a straight white line at a lower non-league game may be far more basic and potentially faulty than that used in the Premier League. There has always been variability at different levels.

If the technology exists, improves decision-making and is available at a higher level, it would be Luddite to ignore it and not use it.

Their penalty.... on 15:30 - Feb 2 with 3069 viewslmfcblue

It was a clear pen so a correct decision
Their penalty.... on 15:37 - Feb 2 with 3044 viewsElephantintheRoom

Well it IS their decision not yours and they got it right - a very clear penalty... perhaps a conflab is not a bad idea to avoid a hasty decision. Whether it was a sending off is up to the ref and he thought not.

Unlike the Town penalty which was wholly unjust.... but you don't seem too conderned about that one. Mind you in the ref's opinion it was a penalty - and that is all that counts.

Might help your 'enjoyment' of the game if you understood what the ref and his linos are there for.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Their penalty.... on 15:39 - Feb 2 with 3031 viewsHerbivore

Their penalty.... on 15:37 - Feb 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Well it IS their decision not yours and they got it right - a very clear penalty... perhaps a conflab is not a bad idea to avoid a hasty decision. Whether it was a sending off is up to the ref and he thought not.

Unlike the Town penalty which was wholly unjust.... but you don't seem too conderned about that one. Mind you in the ref's opinion it was a penalty - and that is all that counts.

Might help your 'enjoyment' of the game if you understood what the ref and his linos are there for.

So edgy.

Their penalty.... on 16:04 - Feb 2 with 2965 viewsWickets

Yes it was a clear Penalty but the Ref did not give it and Norris made a good save. Pboro players convinced the Ref to talk to the Lino who must have said yes it was a foul . I thought it was a qenuine attempt to play the ball so yellow not a red for me . Similar to the Wycolme game player power got the descision changed but at least this time it was correct
Their penalty.... on 16:09 - Feb 2 with 2934 viewsDennyx4

In my honest opinion, the officials were swayed by the protests from the Peterborough players.

Dont get me wrong, it was a penalty, however the ref did not give it and the linesman wasnt sure, hence had not flagged and did flag for the throw in. He also later flagged for our penalty.

The decision in the end was right, but the decision only came because of the volume of complaints.

The other telling piece for me is that no booking was given for the penalty incident, because they did not know who had made the foul.
Their penalty.... on 17:44 - Feb 2 with 2811 viewsElephantintheRoom

Their penalty.... on 16:09 - Feb 2 by Dennyx4

In my honest opinion, the officials were swayed by the protests from the Peterborough players.

Dont get me wrong, it was a penalty, however the ref did not give it and the linesman wasnt sure, hence had not flagged and did flag for the throw in. He also later flagged for our penalty.

The decision in the end was right, but the decision only came because of the volume of complaints.

The other telling piece for me is that no booking was given for the penalty incident, because they did not know who had made the foul.

Hmm - isnt everything that happened totally correct if your assumptions are correct?

Peterborough players alert unsighted ref to injustice. Conflab with lino results in correct decision to award a penalty.

It IS possible to make a genuine attempt to get the ball and get it wrong... a foul but not a sending off offence. Again if your assumptions are correct and the ref didnt see it then another good decision

Their penalty.... on 17:55 - Feb 2 with 2792 viewsDennyx4

Their penalty.... on 17:44 - Feb 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Hmm - isnt everything that happened totally correct if your assumptions are correct?

Peterborough players alert unsighted ref to injustice. Conflab with lino results in correct decision to award a penalty.

It IS possible to make a genuine attempt to get the ball and get it wrong... a foul but not a sending off offence. Again if your assumptions are correct and the ref didnt see it then another good decision

I have never known a foul like that in the area not get a yellow card - wasnt expecting a red, but backs up my assumptions that they didnt see it clearly.

The delay didnt help them to identify the player either. at best the missing yellow was an oversight.

Players alerting an official to an injustice, doesnt usually mean that the official changes his mind. Agree though it would have been an injustice to Peterborough.
Their penalty.... on 18:00 - Feb 2 with 2773 viewslmfcblue

Their penalty.... on 17:55 - Feb 2 by Dennyx4

I have never known a foul like that in the area not get a yellow card - wasnt expecting a red, but backs up my assumptions that they didnt see it clearly.

The delay didnt help them to identify the player either. at best the missing yellow was an oversight.

Players alerting an official to an injustice, doesnt usually mean that the official changes his mind. Agree though it would have been an injustice to Peterborough.

Also I thought the new rule was if a pen was awarded the player wouldn’t get a red card for being the last man
Their penalty.... on 19:07 - Feb 2 with 2695 viewsWickets

Their penalty.... on 17:44 - Feb 2 by ElephantintheRoom

I always though Refs said you can only give what you see !! OK most of us agree that it was a pen but the officials just just took a punt same as the Wycolme game this time they where lucky .
Their penalty.... on 19:24 - Feb 2 with 2668 viewsElephantintheRoom

Their penalty.... on 19:07 - Feb 2 by Wickets

I always though Refs said you can only give what you see !! OK most of us agree that it was a pen but the officials just just took a punt same as the Wycolme game this time they where lucky .

The ref can take advice from the lino on something he didnt see - and get a 2nd opinion of something he thought he saw. Its something that seems to work better than VAR for the last 100 years

Their penalty.... on 19:28 - Feb 2 with 2659 viewsRadlett_blue

Their penalty.... on 18:00 - Feb 2 by lmfcblue

Also I thought the new rule was if a pen was awarded the player wouldn’t get a red card for being the last man

Under the new interpretation of the laws, a defender won't get a red card if a penalty is given if he was deemed to be making a genuine attempt to play the ball. You will still get sent off if you handle on the goal line, for example.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Their penalty.... on 08:54 - Feb 3 with 2444 viewsWickets

Their penalty.... on 19:24 - Feb 2 by ElephantintheRoom

The ref can take advice from the lino on something he didnt see - and get a 2nd opinion of something he thought he saw. Its something that seems to work better than VAR for the last 100 years

Yes thats fine but if the Linesman knew it was a foul why did he not signal a penalty in the same way as he did for our penalty ? His signal was for a throw to them if he was sure it was a penalty he would have put his flag across his chest .
Their penalty.... on 09:02 - Feb 3 with 2427 viewsHerbivore

Their penalty.... on 08:54 - Feb 3 by Wickets

Yes thats fine but if the Linesman knew it was a foul why did he not signal a penalty in the same way as he did for our penalty ? His signal was for a throw to them if he was sure it was a penalty he would have put his flag across his chest .

He signalled a corner for our penalty incident, not a penalty. Signalling a penalty involves the flag going across the chest, he pointed to the corner flag. It may be that the ref instructed them to only give throws, corners and fouls that are right under their noses and to consult with him on any other decisions. He's there to assist the ref first and foremost. It's hard to complain too much, it was a nailed on penalty.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024