Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Credit to builders everywhere 15:19 - Jun 7 with 1052 viewssparks

Bloody hard work trying to knock up a block wall.

And clearly harder than it looks, going by the manner in which the blocks dont seem to be sticking properly in place.

Something very simple I suspect- not mixing the mortar enough, not wetting the blocks, too wet, too dry... Lots of things to do differently when I try again. What i do know is I am knackered and wont be trying again for a day or two!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Credit to builders everywhere on 15:50 - Jun 7 with 996 viewsFunge

In a similar vein, coving is ludicrously difficult.

I'd wager that 20% of UK divorces occur because someone bought the wrong mitre block.
Credit to builders everywhere on 16:02 - Jun 7 with 972 viewseastangliaisblue

Credit to builders everywhere on 15:50 - Jun 7 by Funge

I'd wager that 20% of UK divorces occur because someone bought the wrong mitre block.

One word. Wallpaper!
Credit to builders everywhere on 18:19 - Jun 7 with 875 viewsEdwardStone

Concrete blocks or thermalite?

Both hard work, but thermalite much more absorbent

Thump them into place with a lump hammer....mortar needs to be a bit drier for concrete blocks. The quality/grade of the sand makes a big difference....use a good quality yellow building sand or Golden Plastering sand. Red building or anything with a bit of grit in it can be very sullen and not allow the blocks to move

Mortar too runny, blocks move too much

If it is any consolation my brickies are now quoting £300 per trowel per day...Shall I send them along tomorrow?
Credit to builders everywhere on 18:21 - Jun 7 with 864 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Bloody hard work trying to knock up a block wall"

Where's Keno when you need him?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Credit to builders everywhere on 18:23 - Jun 7 with 859 viewssparks

Credit to builders everywhere on 18:19 - Jun 7 by EdwardStone

Concrete blocks or thermalite?

Both hard work, but thermalite much more absorbent

Thump them into place with a lump hammer....mortar needs to be a bit drier for concrete blocks. The quality/grade of the sand makes a big difference....use a good quality yellow building sand or Golden Plastering sand. Red building or anything with a bit of grit in it can be very sullen and not allow the blocks to move

Mortar too runny, blocks move too much

If it is any consolation my brickies are now quoting £300 per trowel per day...Shall I send them along tomorrow?

Aerated blocks from wickes. I was lazy and used ready mix Hanson mortar. Its drying all sandy.

Thanks for the comments.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2020 18:43]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Credit to builders everywhere on 18:28 - Jun 7 with 852 viewsjeera

I once built a breeze block wall.

Fortunately before it was too late a mate who knew what he was doing showed up, dismantled half of it, and put it back how it should have been.

It was a bit wonky I had to admit, and the higher it got, the wonkier it looked.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Credit to builders everywhere on 19:00 - Jun 7 with 792 viewsGeoffSentence

This is why my philosophy for these home improvement things is 'pay someone else to do it'. With the one condition that the 'someone else' is competent. Pays gividends in the long run.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Credit to builders everywhere on 00:47 - Jun 8 with 673 viewsGuthrum

Credit to builders everywhere on 15:50 - Jun 7 by Funge

Not only that, but you need to know which way round and which way up to use it. The worst thing about doing coving is wonky/curved walls and non-90-degree corners.

Like putting skirting board on the wall below bay windows.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024