Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phurrt 20:39 - Jun 9 with 1474 viewsthebooks

Hard to fathom just how dismal our club can become, but the PE teacher has just spent ten paragraphs explaining why Paul Lambert won’t be sacked.

My god.
Phurrt on 20:43 - Jun 9 with 1430 viewsLibero

He’s not even a qualified Teacher mate, he was a Learning Support Assistant.
EDIT: After browsing his LinkedIn I must state that I'm actually incorrect, he was a fully qualified teacher.

He has 5000 jobs at the club and is probably just about qualified for one of them.
Proper tired of hearing how “he speaks well” - He’s just another mouth piece for Evans, a cheerleader and apologist for the worst point in the clubs history.

Evans, Lambert and O’Neil out.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 23:20]
Phurrt on 20:46 - Jun 9 with 1397 viewsShawsey

Phurrt on 20:43 - Jun 9 by Libero

EDIT: After browsing his LinkedIn I must state that I'm actually incorrect, he was a fully qualified teacher.

He has 5000 jobs at the club and is probably just about qualified for one of them.
Proper tired of hearing how “he speaks well” - He’s just another mouth piece for Evans, a cheerleader and apologist for the worst point in the clubs history.

You missed out the assistant groundsman. The white lines weren't straight last home game.
Phurrt on 20:52 - Jun 9 with 1375 viewsitfcjoe

I just don't see the need for this. He was the Academy Manager and for all the faults of the club, the academy has been one of our successes so he clearly was capable in that role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Phurrt on 20:53 - Jun 9 with 1363 viewsLibero

Phurrt on 20:46 - Jun 9 by Shawsey

You missed out the assistant groundsman. The white lines weren't straight last home game.

I questioned his appointment and relevant skills at the time and was shutdown on here, I think the more time that passes the more obvious it is that LO’N is out of his depth, nothing but a puppet, I can’t take anything he say’s seriously.

I can only assume Evans wanted a new Milton-esqe figure, someone doing a multitude of jobs behind the scenes with a local link that would gain good will from supporters and offer Evans insight that may evade him otherwise.

The club needs a proper reshuffle and restructure ASAP.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 20:58]
That's harsh..... on 20:58 - Jun 9 with 1339 viewsBloots

….he was a decent enough bar manager at the Regent.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Phurrt on 21:08 - Jun 9 with 1288 viewstractorboy1978

Phurrt on 20:53 - Jun 9 by Libero

I questioned his appointment and relevant skills at the time and was shutdown on here, I think the more time that passes the more obvious it is that LO’N is out of his depth, nothing but a puppet, I can’t take anything he say’s seriously.

I can only assume Evans wanted a new Milton-esqe figure, someone doing a multitude of jobs behind the scenes with a local link that would gain good will from supporters and offer Evans insight that may evade him otherwise.

The club needs a proper reshuffle and restructure ASAP.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 20:58]

That's not O'Neill's fault though is it? It is Evans. He's employing the poor bloke to effectively do three fairly significant roles - academy manager, DOF and CEO. And he's probably not relatively paid that well for it either. O'Neill is a decent guy with the club at heart.

We've needed a proper structure with proper people in the right roles since ME came in. That is nothing new.
Phurrt on 21:31 - Jun 9 with 1246 viewsLibero

Phurrt on 20:52 - Jun 9 by itfcjoe

I just don't see the need for this. He was the Academy Manager and for all the faults of the club, the academy has been one of our successes so he clearly was capable in that role

Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s not a position he held for long, is it?
At my estimate 2 years? I believe the appointment coincided with one of the campaigns to up the level of the Academy?
Before that he was a part time coach at the Academy and I believe did some kind of sports science degree?

You’re much closer to the Academy stuff than anyone else on the board so maybe you can tell us a little about how LO’N took the post of Academy manager?
I was under the impression he was positioned to do more of the clerical work in order to free up BK and allow him to focus on the areas he traditionally always had done, is that a fair assessment?

What do you think LO’N achieved during his time as “Academy Manager” that was so impressive? Is there a specific project or task that prepared him for the important role(s) he now occupies?

I respect your view and know you’re well informed so I’m keen to hear what you have to say.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 21:44]
Phurrt on 21:37 - Jun 9 with 1227 viewsBloomBlue

So an individual changes their career and you want to attack them, unreal
Login to get fewer ads

Phurrt on 22:28 - Jun 9 with 1146 viewsitfcjoe

Phurrt on 21:31 - Jun 9 by Libero

Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s not a position he held for long, is it?
At my estimate 2 years? I believe the appointment coincided with one of the campaigns to up the level of the Academy?
Before that he was a part time coach at the Academy and I believe did some kind of sports science degree?

You’re much closer to the Academy stuff than anyone else on the board so maybe you can tell us a little about how LO’N took the post of Academy manager?
I was under the impression he was positioned to do more of the clerical work in order to free up BK and allow him to focus on the areas he traditionally always had done, is that a fair assessment?

What do you think LO’N achieved during his time as “Academy Manager” that was so impressive? Is there a specific project or task that prepared him for the important role(s) he now occupies?

I respect your view and know you’re well informed so I’m keen to hear what you have to say.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 21:44]

He still holds the position now, since EPPP came in Klug has been focussed purely on coaching and coaching the coaches so O'Neill has picked up the full burden of the academy manager role, I think that was 2014/15 so is 6-7 seasons as the academy manager.

He's always been Sports Science side of things in the academy, with presumably some involvement with first team and worked way up to Head of that in the academy, then was made number 2 at the academy below Klug and did that for a few years before being made manager.

The academy doesn't have a huge amount of staff - it is basically managed in it's entirety by O'Neill, Klug and Helen Broughton.

I can't tell you exactly what he does, but he's impressed Evans and is one of the first 'football people' to get his trust, so much so that he will present at MEG events as well.

I'm not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread either, just seems silly when claimed he's a part time PE teacher etc when he's held a senior role in the academy for a decade.

Who would you rather have in Evans ear - O'Neill, Clegg, Milne or a Redknapp/David Pleat or whoever is his latest mate?

O'Neill has been heavily involved in our recruitment in the last 2 windows - personally I'd say that he's helped build a squad which should be competing.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Phurrt on 23:02 - Jun 9 with 1095 viewsLibero

Phurrt on 22:28 - Jun 9 by itfcjoe

He still holds the position now, since EPPP came in Klug has been focussed purely on coaching and coaching the coaches so O'Neill has picked up the full burden of the academy manager role, I think that was 2014/15 so is 6-7 seasons as the academy manager.

He's always been Sports Science side of things in the academy, with presumably some involvement with first team and worked way up to Head of that in the academy, then was made number 2 at the academy below Klug and did that for a few years before being made manager.

The academy doesn't have a huge amount of staff - it is basically managed in it's entirety by O'Neill, Klug and Helen Broughton.

I can't tell you exactly what he does, but he's impressed Evans and is one of the first 'football people' to get his trust, so much so that he will present at MEG events as well.

I'm not saying he is the best thing since sliced bread either, just seems silly when claimed he's a part time PE teacher etc when he's held a senior role in the academy for a decade.

Who would you rather have in Evans ear - O'Neill, Clegg, Milne or a Redknapp/David Pleat or whoever is his latest mate?

O'Neill has been heavily involved in our recruitment in the last 2 windows - personally I'd say that he's helped build a squad which should be competing.

Appreciate your response Joe,

Is my assertion about O'Neil's appointment as Academy Manager/Assistant Manager to supplement/free up Klug correct? I seem to remember that he was specifically brought in to deal with various factors re: the Academy category assessment? Clerical, admin and public relations work mostly, your response appears to confirm that.
If that is the case then we're essentially promoting a bloke who failed (twice) in his primary objective.

I think I phrased my initial question poorly, sorry.
I know he's still in situ, my question was how long was he in situ as Academy Manager/Assistant Manager before getting given these extra important role(s) by Evans?
I ask this as from my knowledge of his career his trajectory is very odd and his credentials less than clear/water tight.

If someone is going to be given such an important role(s) at our club and appears on the surface to be so bizarrely under qualified I'd at least like to know a specific project or job they've taken on that has showcased their potential.

I also think your description of O'Neil as a "football man" is rather generous. Never made a first team appearance in the professional game and barely played in the semi-pro/amateur game. Still, I appreciate that's subjective.

It's clear that Klug and others have a soft spot for him/see something in him but I'd just to know what it is and see some evidence of it as all I see is a bloke that's had a very jumbled and undefined career after being released by Ipswich Town who has somehow been projected into a position of relative power within the club as "Academy Manager" yet has failed in his primary objective (achieving the next category status) and then been given an even more important job(s) within the club without evidence of qualification for the role(s)

I've listened to him talk, he does talk a good game and maybe he will be a superb head of recruitment/director of football/wearer of many hats/whatever.

I'd happily draw a line under everything that I think is a bit questionable pre his taking on of multiple roles at the club if the club could tell supporters just what it is he actually does, why he was selected to do it and how success in his role(s) is being defined by Evans.

Personally I think they're pertinent questions moving forwards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I've just had a look at his LinkedIn, firstly I'm incorrect he wasn't just a LSA he did have a full teaching role which is a bit baffling considering my professional experience with him.

Still, checking out his LinkedIn answered a few of my questions re:timeline of career, etc, here is a list of all of his former roles for those interested...

Ipswich Town FC
16 years

General Manager of Football Operations and Academy Manager
Dec 2018 — Present1 year 7 months

Ipswich

Academy Manager
Jul 2015 — Present, 5 years
Ipswich, United Kingdom

Assistant Academy Manager and Head of Sport Science
Jul 2013 — Jun 2015, 2 years
Ipswich, United Kingdom

Head of Academy Sports Science
Jul 2011 — Jun 2013, 2 years
Ipswich, United Kingdom

PT Academy Age group coach
Jul 2007 — Jun 2012, 5 years
Ipswich, United Kingdom

Academy Sports Scientist
Jul 2004 — 2008, 4 years
Ipswich Town

Football Association of Wales
Physical Perfomance Coach
Football Association of Wales
Jan 2011 — 2018, 7 years
International Sport science support to U17, U19 and U21's Squads.

Suffolk County Council
3 years 11 months

Head of Physical Education and Head of Key stage 3
Sep 2008 — Jul 2011, 2 years 11 months
Combs Middle School
Head of Year 7 & Year 8

Head of Physical Education
Sep 2007 — Jul 2009, 1 year 11 months
Combs Middle School
Head of Physical Education KS2 + KS3

Ipswich Borough Council
Arts and Entertainment Assistant
Ipswich Borough Council
Mar 2001 — Sep 2009, 8 years 7 months

Suffolk and Norfolk School Centred Initial Teacher Training
Post Graduate Certificate of Education
Suffolk and Norfolk School Centred Initial Teacher Training
Aug 2006 — May 2007, 10 months
Suffolk
PGCE - Thomas Mills High School and Northgate High School

Adecco
Recruitment Consultant
Adecco
Aug 2005 — Jun 2006, 11 months
Ipswich, United Kingdom

Challenger Sports
Football Coach
Challenger Sports
Apr 2004 — Aug 2005, 1 year 5 months
United States

Ipswich Town FC
Ipswich Town Scholarship
Ipswich Town FC
Jul 1998 — Jun 2002, 4 years
Ipswich, United Kingdom

I've no issues conceding that I am probably being overly skeptical and analytical of his career path, however I still think there are pertinent questions to ask about his current role(s) and what exactly he has done to impress Evans (specific successful projects or skills evidenced, etc)
It'd also be helpful to know how the club intends to measure success in his job(s)
[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 23:38]
Phurrt on 00:42 - Jun 10 with 973 viewsIllinoisblue

Phurrt on 22:28 - Jun 9 by itfcjoe

Would like to know more about his Sports Science role. Given our disastrous, continued run of serious Injuries it’s perhaps an area that needs looking at in more detail.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024