Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans 01:06 - Aug 8 with 4117 viewspatrickswell

with playing a long game as they did when we were in the Championship, where the plan appeared to be wait for FFP to be applied properly and swingeingly.

O’Neill’s comments about the cap limiting Evans’s ability to put money into the playing squad are laugh out loud funny. It’s a bit late for all that now. It wasn’t a few years ago, but it is now.

Evans Out!
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 07:05 - Aug 8 with 4008 viewsbournemouthblue

Given the relative prudence in the Championship, there is a fair proportion of irony here

We always seem to be on the wrong side of history, if roles were reversed we'd be loving see Norwich suffer like this

I fear we have entered a parallel universe where Donald Trump can be President, Boris Johnson can be Prime Minister and Norwich City can be the dominant East Anglian Football team. The World is upside down!

It's like Norwich fans bought an Ipswich Town Voodoo doll and they have been having great success with it.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 07:55 - Aug 8 with 3951 viewsSteve_M

From wasting the competitive advantage he provided in the early years, to letting Mick and Milne take all the flak for us becoming a mid-table Championship club, to letting Hurst gut a decent squad, to the five year contract for Lambert. Twelve and a half years of wonderful ownership.

I wonder if he regrets upping the price when he had interested buyers a few years back.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:08 - Aug 8 with 3930 viewsChrisd

As a club we appear one of the few that didn’t vote for the salary cap, but I bet ME enjoyed a good night’s sleep last night and probably slept with a broad smile across his face.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:29 - Aug 8 with 3888 viewsDubtractor

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 07:55 - Aug 8 by Steve_M

From wasting the competitive advantage he provided in the early years, to letting Mick and Milne take all the flak for us becoming a mid-table Championship club, to letting Hurst gut a decent squad, to the five year contract for Lambert. Twelve and a half years of wonderful ownership.

I wonder if he regrets upping the price when he had interested buyers a few years back.

Yep. There are those who defend him, and no doubt there are much worse owners out there, but he has been a disaster for our club.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 8:34]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:32 - Aug 8 with 3876 viewsdissboy2

sickening isn't it
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:41 - Aug 8 with 3854 viewspatrickswell

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 07:05 - Aug 8 by bournemouthblue

Given the relative prudence in the Championship, there is a fair proportion of irony here

We always seem to be on the wrong side of history, if roles were reversed we'd be loving see Norwich suffer like this

I fear we have entered a parallel universe where Donald Trump can be President, Boris Johnson can be Prime Minister and Norwich City can be the dominant East Anglian Football team. The World is upside down!

It's like Norwich fans bought an Ipswich Town Voodoo doll and they have been having great success with it.

I know one thing: I’ve forgotten what it feels like to be on the winning side in any kind of vote over the last 5 years at least.

It sucks. Our first third tier season in 60+ years and the game decides, “Right, you’re operating under a handicap now. Your size relative to the division means nothing. It’s your own fault, you should have got relegated sooner.”
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:45 - Aug 8 with 3852 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:08 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

As a club we appear one of the few that didn’t vote for the salary cap, but I bet ME enjoyed a good night’s sleep last night and probably slept with a broad smile across his face.

Why? Our only advantage at this level was our finances and being able to out spend others. Now we need to be better run and better managed to gain an advantage. We're screwed.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:02 - Aug 8 with 3820 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:45 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Why? Our only advantage at this level was our finances and being able to out spend others. Now we need to be better run and better managed to gain an advantage. We're screwed.

He doesn’t have to spend out as much on wages which he’s currently paying out and whatever surplus the club does make through ticket sales, hospitality etc... he’ll certainly be reaping the benefits. It seems to work in his favour much more.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 16:03]

Login to get fewer ads

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:04 - Aug 8 with 3811 viewsDanTheMan

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:29 - Aug 8 by Dubtractor

Yep. There are those who defend him, and no doubt there are much worse owners out there, but he has been a disaster for our club.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 8:34]

The only defense for him you see if "he could be worse". I've never seen anyone defend him with any sort of positives.

He's been a complete disaster for this club.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:05 - Aug 8 with 3802 viewsDanTheMan

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:02 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

He doesn’t have to spend out as much on wages which he’s currently paying out and whatever surplus the club does make through ticket sales, hospitality etc... he’ll certainly be reaping the benefits. It seems to work in his favour much more.

He bought something where he's pumped millions of pounds in, and with these rules in he won't even be able to sell it as much. I doubt he was very happy at all.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:13 - Aug 8 with 3773 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:02 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Then why didn't he vote for it? He's shown consistently that he's happy to put in around £6m a season on average to finance us and there's been nothing to suggest that he isn't wanting that to continue. He backed Lambert to bring players in following relegation without us having to move players on first. ME will want us to go back up and this removes one of our few advantages over our rivals. To suggest he's happy with that is speculative at best.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:17 - Aug 8 with 3764 viewsRegencyBlue

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 08:45 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Do you really think we were going to outspend others at this, or any other level, anyway?

Our wages budget was amongst the lowest in the Championship and given the warnings coming from Portman Road about promotion at the first attempt being vital, before our disastrous campaign after which promotion hadn’t been the objective at all, apparently, I think Evans would have continued cost cutting hand over fist anyway.

COVID-19, like FFP before it, will be used for years as an excuse to justify minimal/no investment from our illustrious owner with the salary cap now the icing on the cake.

I agree with your summation though, although having said that I think we have ultimately been screwed since Evans walked in the door!
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:20 - Aug 8 with 3756 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:17 - Aug 8 by RegencyBlue

Do you really think we were going to outspend others at this, or any other level, anyway?

Our wages budget was amongst the lowest in the Championship and given the warnings coming from Portman Road about promotion at the first attempt being vital, before our disastrous campaign after which promotion hadn’t been the objective at all, apparently, I think Evans would have continued cost cutting hand over fist anyway.

COVID-19, like FFP before it, will be used for years as an excuse to justify minimal/no investment from our illustrious owner with the salary cap now the icing on the cake.

I agree with your summation though, although having said that I think we have ultimately been screwed since Evans walked in the door!

Yes we would outsepnd others at this level purely on the basis that our revenue is significantly greater than most of our rivals at this level. That wasn't the case in the Championship, not remotely.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:23 - Aug 8 with 3745 viewsRegencyBlue

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:04 - Aug 8 by DanTheMan

The only defense for him you see if "he could be worse". I've never seen anyone defend him with any sort of positives.

He's been a complete disaster for this club.

You do also get the buy the club then argument!

I fail to see how these people cannot see what a disaster Evans has been but there are still some out there who support him no matter what!
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:43 - Aug 8 with 3708 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:13 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Then why didn't he vote for it? He's shown consistently that he's happy to put in around £6m a season on average to finance us and there's been nothing to suggest that he isn't wanting that to continue. He backed Lambert to bring players in following relegation without us having to move players on first. ME will want us to go back up and this removes one of our few advantages over our rivals. To suggest he's happy with that is speculative at best.

Pretence? If he is an owner that is looking to get out, then this works perfectly for him. He doesn’t need to waste money on overspending on player’s wages and if we make a surplus in certain areas of the club he reaps the benefit to soften the blow of the debt. The £6m he puts in keeps us ticking over, nothing more, it’s not enough to make any real difference. I would’ve thought the majority of club owners in L1 and 2 are pleased with this outcome, even those that voted against it.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:51 - Aug 8 with 3695 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:05 - Aug 8 by DanTheMan

He bought something where he's pumped millions of pounds in, and with these rules in he won't even be able to sell it as much. I doubt he was very happy at all.

He was never getting his money back on us anyway. So if he is able to reduce haemorrhaging money surely that’s the next best thing for any football owner of a club that is stagnating?

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:54 - Aug 8 with 3677 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:43 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Pretence? If he is an owner that is looking to get out, then this works perfectly for him. He doesn’t need to waste money on overspending on player’s wages and if we make a surplus in certain areas of the club he reaps the benefit to soften the blow of the debt. The £6m he puts in keeps us ticking over, nothing more, it’s not enough to make any real difference. I would’ve thought the majority of club owners in L1 and 2 are pleased with this outcome, even those that voted against it.

If ME really wanted a salary cap he'd have voted for it. It passed by one vote and was always on a knife edge so voting against it for the sake of pretence seems a rather high risk strategy. ME might save his £6m a season now but he knows the only way he gets out of here with any of his money back is for us to either get to the Prem (highly unlikely) or to be in a position where getting to the Prem is plausible and that would mean us being back in the Championship. He could have made far bigger cut backs last season but didn't. We outbid rivals for Norwood and paid decent money for KVY. We didn't get rid of any of our better players. There's no evidence to suggest that ME would be happy with the salary cap. It disadvantages us.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:01 - Aug 8 with 3657 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:54 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

If ME really wanted a salary cap he'd have voted for it. It passed by one vote and was always on a knife edge so voting against it for the sake of pretence seems a rather high risk strategy. ME might save his £6m a season now but he knows the only way he gets out of here with any of his money back is for us to either get to the Prem (highly unlikely) or to be in a position where getting to the Prem is plausible and that would mean us being back in the Championship. He could have made far bigger cut backs last season but didn't. We outbid rivals for Norwood and paid decent money for KVY. We didn't get rid of any of our better players. There's no evidence to suggest that ME would be happy with the salary cap. It disadvantages us.

He had the opportunity to get his money back when we were sitting top 2 under MM, but he choose not to invest whether that was done by him or MM, who knows? I’m not saying you’re wrong as you make some valid points, but we’re a club that’s been on a slow downward trajectory for a number of seasons under ME, so if he can save money in his position he must see it as a bonus.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 16:04]

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:06 - Aug 8 with 3639 viewsDanTheMan

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:51 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

He was never getting his money back on us anyway. So if he is able to reduce haemorrhaging money surely that’s the next best thing for any football owner of a club that is stagnating?

Not if the value of the thing he was pumping money into dropped over night with one decision. Or if the ability to increase it's value again becomes that much harder.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:07 - Aug 8 with 3634 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:01 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

He had the opportunity to get his money back when we were sitting top 2 under MM, but he choose not to invest whether that was done by him or MM, who knows? I’m not saying you’re wrong as you make some valid points, but we’re a club that’s been on a slow downward trajectory for a number of seasons under ME, so if he can save money in his position he must see it as a bonus.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2020 16:04]

I disagree. If he thought saving money would be a bonus he'd have voted for the cap rather than against it. He knows this disadvantages us relative to our rivals.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:09 - Aug 8 with 3626 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:07 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

I disagree. If he thought saving money would be a bonus he'd have voted for the cap rather than against it. He knows this disadvantages us relative to our rivals.

Like I've said to you before that's fine to disagree.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:10 - Aug 8 with 3618 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:09 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Like I've said to you before that's fine to disagree.

Sure, but it's good if when disagreeing with someone you provide some plausible evidence to support your own view. Only one of us has done that and it's not you.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:22 - Aug 8 with 3575 viewsChrisd

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:10 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Sure, but it's good if when disagreeing with someone you provide some plausible evidence to support your own view. Only one of us has done that and it's not you.

Once again you have the uncanny knack of turning most threads into an argument because someone has a different view to your own. If you can't accept or see that we've been underfunded in a lot of areas of the club for some time, I can see why ME might not be too disappointed (behind closed doors) with the outcome of yesterday's meeting, especially if his interest in us is on the wane.

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:37 - Aug 8 with 3526 viewsRegencyBlue

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 09:20 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Yes we would outsepnd others at this level purely on the basis that our revenue is significantly greater than most of our rivals at this level. That wasn't the case in the Championship, not remotely.

We will never know for sure now but I’m not convinced about that.

I can’t verify this in any way but I was told by a couple of people, who are in a position to know at least, that significant cuts were in the process of being planned at the club in the event promotion didn’t happen, and that was before COVID-19 became the issue it did.

I just cannot see any sign that Evans was/is looking to do anything other than what he has been doing for years already.
Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:37 - Aug 8 with 3526 viewsHerbivore

Let us at least hope that today’s scenario stops people trying to credit Evans on 10:22 - Aug 8 by Chrisd

Once again you have the uncanny knack of turning most threads into an argument because someone has a different view to your own. If you can't accept or see that we've been underfunded in a lot of areas of the club for some time, I can see why ME might not be too disappointed (behind closed doors) with the outcome of yesterday's meeting, especially if his interest in us is on the wane.

The last bit is pure speculation. As for being underfunded, he's put in around £6m a season to cover out losses. You think that's not enough, that's fine. However, it's a massive leap from that to think he'll be happy with a decision that leaves us at a significant disadvantage. We will cut costs but our ability to go back up will be compromised and with it so will our saleability as a club. And again, if ME was happy with the salary cap he'd have voted for it rather than against it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024