Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VJ Day today 08:38 - Aug 15 with 2415 viewsKeno

I know of many "east anglians" were affected by their experiences in the Far East, especially those held in the POW camps

For them and their families today should not be forgotten

Thank you

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

VJ Day today on 08:56 - Aug 15 with 2389 viewsFtnfwest

Amen to that sir. A lot who came back from the camps didn’t last for long either. The war ended and that’s always worth remembering
VJ Day today on 09:16 - Aug 15 with 2363 viewsWeWereZombies

I think it was on BBC Radio Suffolk a few years ago they had a piece on an ex-serviceman from Lowestoft who was being held prisoner close to Hiroshima when the atomic bomb was dropped, mixed emotions can probably not begin to describe his feelings on anniversaries like these.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

VJ Day today on 09:48 - Aug 15 with 2332 viewsmidastouch

I have a Sunday Mirror newspaper clipping that was kindly passed to me by my auntie, as dated Sunday 6th September, 1970.  Printed on page 16 of this edition is mention of my great-uncle Kenneth Barber, along with a remarkable story of a kind Buddhist priest called Shinkai Yamaguchi. I have included part of the article here as can't think of a better day to share it.

"Japanese custom is to cremate the dead.  It is thought to help repose the soul.  When prisoners-of-war died they, too, were cremated. No one cared what happened to their ashes, for anti-enemy feeling ran high.  No one, that is, except a young Buddhist priest, Shinkai Yamaguchi.

With great fortitude he braved the ridicule and anger of almost everyone who knew him and persuaded the prison authorities to let him take the ashes of these enemies to his temple in the hills. 

He believed it was his sacred duty to tend the souls of human beings that had died without spiritual comfort. 

He got their names from their friends, the date and cause of death, from the guards, and throughout the war he held services for them.

When the war ended the Allies took the ashes from him but he continued to hold memorial services. 

Eventually the Allies gave him full addresses of the next-of-kin and he wrote to them, telling them what he had done.  Many replied, some sent photographs.  It was these we went to see."

The moving article written by then journalist Anne Allen ended in saying:
"The families of those men who died in Osaka can know that they are remembered with dignity and love.  And that their dying has inspired a very great man to work for peace."

While saying goodbye to Anne Allen, Shinkai Yamaguchi remarked:
"Please do your best to get all the people who know the sadness of wartime death to join together and see that it can never happen again.  All I work for is peace, but I need their help." 

I have two letters sent by Shinkai Yamaguchi to Kenny's parents. The first is dated August 25th, 1955, and the following is dated September 1st, 1966. 

The letter from Shinkai Yamaguchi in 1966 ends in saying: "It is my earnest desire that when we hold a grand memorial service at my temple at exactly 2 o'clock in the afternoon October 20 every year, praying for the repose of their souls and for world peace, you will also be kind enough to join the prayer together with us regardless of whether you are a Buddhist or not.

To close this letter, I sincerely hope that you are all very well and happy at home and that we will be good friends and can exchange communications in the future."

What a remarkably kind gesture by Shinkai Yamaguchi.  I'm sure Kenny's parents could not help but be touched after receiving these heart-warming letters.

Kenny's ashes were moved by the Allies to Yokohama War cemetery in Japan, after being handed over by Shinkai Yamaguchi in 1945.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 13:57]

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

VJ Day today on 09:56 - Aug 15 with 2301 viewsBloomBlue

Well said that man.

One of my oldest friends and I mean oldest in terms of age and I know I'm no youngster who died a few years ago was a British prisoner of war in a Japanese war camp and the stories from that were horrendous. The Japanese pulled his fingernails out with a pair of pliers and he suffered with his hands for the rest of his life. When he went into the camp he was 12stone when he came out he was just under 7stone

After the war because of that treatment in a PoW camp he refused to buy anything made in Japan as did his Children & Grandchildren although that became more difficult as so many things came from Japan.

RIP Stanley
VJ Day today on 09:57 - Aug 15 with 2295 viewsKeno

VJ Day today on 09:48 - Aug 15 by midastouch

I have a Sunday Mirror newspaper clipping that was kindly passed to me by my auntie, as dated Sunday 6th September, 1970.  Printed on page 16 of this edition is mention of my great-uncle Kenneth Barber, along with a remarkable story of a kind Buddhist priest called Shinkai Yamaguchi. I have included part of the article here as can't think of a better day to share it.

"Japanese custom is to cremate the dead.  It is thought to help repose the soul.  When prisoners-of-war died they, too, were cremated. No one cared what happened to their ashes, for anti-enemy feeling ran high.  No one, that is, except a young Buddhist priest, Shinkai Yamaguchi.

With great fortitude he braved the ridicule and anger of almost everyone who knew him and persuaded the prison authorities to let him take the ashes of these enemies to his temple in the hills. 

He believed it was his sacred duty to tend the souls of human beings that had died without spiritual comfort. 

He got their names from their friends, the date and cause of death, from the guards, and throughout the war he held services for them.

When the war ended the Allies took the ashes from him but he continued to hold memorial services. 

Eventually the Allies gave him full addresses of the next-of-kin and he wrote to them, telling them what he had done.  Many replied, some sent photographs.  It was these we went to see."

"The families of those men who died in Osaka can know that they are remembered with dignity and love.  And that their dying has inspired a very great man to work for peace."

"Please do your best to get all the people who know the sadness of wartime death to join together and see that it can never happen again.  All I work for is peace, but I need their help." 

I have two letters sent by Shinkai Yamaguchi to Kenny's parents. The first is dated August 25th, 1955, and the following is dated September 1st, 1966. 

The letter from Shinkai Yamaguchi in 1966 ends in saying: "It is my earnest desire that when we hold a grand memorial service at my temple at exactly 2 o'clock in the afternoon October 20 every year, praying for the repose of their souls and for world peace, you will also be kind enough to join the prayer together with us regardless of whether you are a Buddhist or not.

To close this letter, I sincerely hope that you are all very well and happy at home and that we will be good friends and can exchange communications in the future."

What a remarkably kind gesture by Shinkai Yamaguchi.  I'm sure Kenny's parents could not help but be touched after receiving these heart-warming letters.

Kenny's ashes were moved by the Allies to Yokohama War cemetery in Japan, after being handed over by Shinkai Yamaguchi in 1945.

that is an amazing story, thank you for sharing

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

VJ Day today on 10:07 - Aug 15 with 2282 viewseastangliaisblue

I have been to the war cemetary in Kanchanburi in Thailand, where the bridge over the river Kwai is situated. I couldn't believe how many graves are marked with either the Suffolk/Norfolk Regiment. The whole place is very sobering.

Thankyou to all who served and lost their lives in that dreadful place of war.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 10:28]
VJ Day today on 10:22 - Aug 15 with 2267 viewsfactual_blue

VJ Day today on 08:56 - Aug 15 by Ftnfwest

Amen to that sir. A lot who came back from the camps didn’t last for long either. The war ended and that’s always worth remembering

It's sobering to think as well that many of the Far Eastern former POWs died because of the state of medical knowledge. It's very easy to kill a malnourished person by - from kindness - simply giving them too much to eat.

The same happened when the concentration camps were liberated, and even to the Germans who surrendered at Stalingrad. The seemingly grotesque number of Stalingrad POWs who died was greatly inflated by the lack of medical knowledge on how to treat severe malnutrition and severe hypothermia.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

VJ Day today on 10:39 - Aug 15 with 2220 viewsmidastouch

VJ Day today on 09:56 - Aug 15 by BloomBlue

Well said that man.

One of my oldest friends and I mean oldest in terms of age and I know I'm no youngster who died a few years ago was a British prisoner of war in a Japanese war camp and the stories from that were horrendous. The Japanese pulled his fingernails out with a pair of pliers and he suffered with his hands for the rest of his life. When he went into the camp he was 12stone when he came out he was just under 7stone

After the war because of that treatment in a PoW camp he refused to buy anything made in Japan as did his Children & Grandchildren although that became more difficult as so many things came from Japan.

RIP Stanley

Login to get fewer ads

VJ Day today on 11:52 - Aug 15 with 2155 viewsFtnfwest

VJ Day today on 10:22 - Aug 15 by factual_blue

It's sobering to think as well that many of the Far Eastern former POWs died because of the state of medical knowledge. It's very easy to kill a malnourished person by - from kindness - simply giving them too much to eat.

The same happened when the concentration camps were liberated, and even to the Germans who surrendered at Stalingrad. The seemingly grotesque number of Stalingrad POWs who died was greatly inflated by the lack of medical knowledge on how to treat severe malnutrition and severe hypothermia.

They did indeed. My grandfather having been in the home guard also ran a pub from before the war up to the early 70s. Several guys who’d served in Burma and had come back from captivity used to to come into the pub but gradually their health went downhill over the course of 12-18 months and they never recovered.
VJ Day today on 12:28 - Aug 15 with 2109 viewsPendejo

VJ Day today on 09:56 - Aug 15 by BloomBlue

Well said that man.

RIP Stanley

Here is the most appropriate place for me to join this thread.

Both my grandfathers fought in Burma and all the way to Changi, they were both reasonably comfortable with buying German, though they'd both prefer to buy British.

Neither would buy Japanese, and it wasn't until they'd passed away that the families bought Japanese cars.

My paternal grandfather didn't talk at all about his experience.

My maternal grandfather was a bit more communicative on the matter. He fought alongside the Gurkhas, and held them in very high regard. He was presented with a kukri, which he had above his mantelpiece. He also brought back with him a taste for Asian food. To the extent that on his return he made sure he worked on the spice quays, bringing home the empty, aromatic, sacks.

Talk to him about the Japanese and his mood darkened, he would relate similar stories to yours of the well built men coming out as skeletons, the torture and abuse they spoke of. But let's not forget the victims were not just soldiers, or men.

The other day in a South London park I came across a group commemorating the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, and wondered if they'd heard such stories as my grandfather had told of mass rape and torture, as their sympathies seemed be very much one sided.

I have worked with two Japanese people, both of whom were wonderful people born at least 2 decades after the war and I hear them no malice, that was then, this is now.

Here's hoping that the world understands that should be no more wars... If only.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

VJ Day today on 12:38 - Aug 15 with 2094 viewsPendejo

VJ Day today on 10:39 - Aug 15 by midastouch

Well worth just over an hour of anyone's time

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

VJ Day today on 13:17 - Aug 15 with 2058 viewsfactual_blue

VJ Day today on 11:52 - Aug 15 by Ftnfwest

They did indeed. My grandfather having been in the home guard also ran a pub from before the war up to the early 70s. Several guys who’d served in Burma and had come back from captivity used to to come into the pub but gradually their health went downhill over the course of 12-18 months and they never recovered.

Even worse, the ex-POWs were forbidden to talk about their dreadful experiences.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

VJ Day today on 14:05 - Aug 15 with 2006 viewsmidastouch

VJ Day today on 09:57 - Aug 15 by Keno

that is an amazing story, thank you for sharing

Just done some further digging online and found a couple of great photos, please see the following links:

http://www.230battalion.org.au/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=202&pid=5019#top_d

Juganji Temple
"This is a picture when soldiers' ashes were delivered to G.H.Q. in October (sic) 1945. (photo by Osak Asahi Press)"

The ashes of over 1,000 Allied POWs were interred in Juganji Temple prior to the end of the War. In October, 1945 they were transferred to Yokohama.

On the boxes shown in the photo the following labels can be seen:

American 485
British 381
Dutch 163

http://www.230battalion.org.au/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=202&pid=5017#top_d

Juganji Temple, Osaka, Japan
"The main of the Juganji Temple where the ashes had been enshrined and served by Rev. Shinkai Yamaguchi."

The ashes of over 1,000 Allied POWs were interred in Juganji Temple prior to the end of the War. In October, 1945 they were transferred to Yokohama.

Also found an article printed in the Guardian in 1965 about Shinkai Yamaguchi:
https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=14218670&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1

VJ Day today on 18:09 - Aug 15 with 1940 viewsBloomBlue

VJ Day today on 12:28 - Aug 15 by Pendejo

Here is the most appropriate place for me to join this thread.

Both my grandfathers fought in Burma and all the way to Changi, they were both reasonably comfortable with buying German, though they'd both prefer to buy British.

Neither would buy Japanese, and it wasn't until they'd passed away that the families bought Japanese cars.

My paternal grandfather didn't talk at all about his experience.

My maternal grandfather was a bit more communicative on the matter. He fought alongside the Gurkhas, and held them in very high regard. He was presented with a kukri, which he had above his mantelpiece. He also brought back with him a taste for Asian food. To the extent that on his return he made sure he worked on the spice quays, bringing home the empty, aromatic, sacks.

Talk to him about the Japanese and his mood darkened, he would relate similar stories to yours of the well built men coming out as skeletons, the torture and abuse they spoke of. But let's not forget the victims were not just soldiers, or men.

The other day in a South London park I came across a group commemorating the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, and wondered if they'd heard such stories as my grandfather had told of mass rape and torture, as their sympathies seemed be very much one sided.

I have worked with two Japanese people, both of whom were wonderful people born at least 2 decades after the war and I hear them no malice, that was then, this is now.

Here's hoping that the world understands that should be no more wars... If only.

Victims on all sides.

In terms of the 2 nuclear bombs Stan never celebrate the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki but Stan's point was always... The Japanese War Ministry ordered all prison camp commandants to prepare for the “final disposition” telling them in the event of an Allied invasion all PoWs should be executed. But because of Japan's sudden surrender that never happened and after Stan discovered the order to execute all PoW's, the bombs did force Japan into that surrender and as he said that probably saved his life. Yes he would say that's selfish, but after the way he had been treated as a PoW he had lost all/any respect for them

He also always made the point all sides do things wrong in war but why he never forgave them is they used PoWs as forced labour, never provided enough food, punished them and then the Japanese tortured them for no reason other than for a laugh it seemed to him. As he said the work, no food and punishment were torture, without the need to add in torture, of pulling out his fingernails. The following day he couldn't work because of his hands so they beat him with bamboo sticks. He also saw many things he wouldn't talk about and he said he was sure future generations would forgive but he couldn't.
VJ Day today on 18:47 - Aug 15 with 1912 viewsTangledupin_Blue

VJ Day today on 09:48 - Aug 15 by midastouch

With all the crap going on these days (Trump, Belarus, Syria, Yemen etc) it is good to hear a story of selflessness, courage and dedication which goes a long way to restoring ones faith in humanity. Mr Yamaguchi should be remembered; and thanks, Mr Touch, for sharing.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

VJ Day today on 20:11 - Aug 15 with 1867 viewsjaykay

my wifes grand father died on the death railway and now rests in taukkyan war cemetery.
he was only 30 years old leaving a wife and 3 children.
although one p.o.w. from the death camp lives close by me and is 102 and still lives a active life.
one tory m.p. for the then EYE Parliament constituency was run out of our town in the 50s when he came to canvas, by several who survived the death camp. the reason being he came to no harm what so ever in the death camp. i think words of grass and stool pigeon were some of the kinder words thrown at him

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

VJ Day today on 00:04 - Aug 16 with 1796 viewsronnyd

Read on AOL today as i was turning on my laptop, that the results of a poll of under 40s found that the vast majority didn't know what VJ day even meant. Also a large percentage would have not celebrated it if they had known about. They were, and still are the forgotten army. History, it seems, appears to be becoming a forgotten subject. Such a shame.,
VJ Day today on 01:25 - Aug 16 with 1777 viewsjeera

VJ Day today on 11:52 - Aug 15 by Ftnfwest

An uncle of mine, my dad's eldest brother, was stationed in Burma for some time. He was ground crew in the RAF.

He had some nasty recurring bouts of malaria throughout his life and also became a full-on raging alcoholic.

Remarkably really, he lived well into his late 70s.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

VJ Day today on 08:41 - Aug 16 with 1732 viewstrueblue1970

My great uncle was over their in on of those camps, he would never speak of what happened over there or what he had witnessed, till the day he passed he still would have nightmares about his experiences
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024