Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead 02:38 - Sep 19 with 1873 viewsGuthrum

US Supreme Court judge*. She was on the liberal side of things. This could allow Trump to install another conservative, altering the balance of the court just before the election.

McConnell, who blocked Obama's late attempt to install a new judge, has vowed to rush through Congressional approval for a Trump appointee, even with less than two months to go.

* Once appointed, they hold the job for life, unlike in the UK.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 02:52 - Sep 19 with 1859 viewsSpruceMoose

I'll start off by saying that RBG lived an inspirational life and her passing will leave a gigantic hole in the hearts of many, especially women and young girls. It's sad that she felt she had to keep fighting for so long as her health deteriorated, but speaks volumes as to her character that she did so.

Amazingly even Trump responded to the news somewhat like a real human.

Now.

Mitch McConnell in 2016: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

Mitch McConnell in 2020: "President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

Less than an hour after her death was announced. Ghoulish. Hypocritical. Expected.

Democrats are powerless to stop this. It seems to me like it'll come down to four Republican senators - Collins, Romney, Murkowski and Gardner, and of those I'd say only Romney might possibly be a no vote - despite what the others have said. If Mark Kelly is elected in Arizona (if this drags out until November, which is admittedly unlikely) then that could be another vote for the Democrats.

One interesting angle could be how many Trump voters were planning to hold their nose and vote for Trump solely to get that SC seat? If he gets it before the election, does their desire to vote for him dry up? Does electing a SC judge now damage his election hopes at all?

Regardless of all that, my thinking is that it's time for the Democratic Party to announce that if Republicans unjustly force this appointment through, then should the Democrats take the White House and Senate in November they'll stack the court and increase the number of judges, probably to eleven.

Oh, and we should grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico while we are at it too. I'm tired of trying to play fairly against opponents who have tampered with the deck. This isn't about Trump voters, this purely concerns the conduct of the fully compromised and corrupt Republican party.

The Republicans have let the cat out of the bag now, if we get the chance, we should take full advantage.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 3:08]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 06:52 - Sep 19 with 1744 viewsElderGrizzly

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 02:52 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

I'll start off by saying that RBG lived an inspirational life and her passing will leave a gigantic hole in the hearts of many, especially women and young girls. It's sad that she felt she had to keep fighting for so long as her health deteriorated, but speaks volumes as to her character that she did so.

Now.

Mitch McConnell in 2016: “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president."

Mitch McConnell in 2020: "President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate."

Less than an hour after her death was announced. Ghoulish. Hypocritical. Expected.

Democrats are powerless to stop this. It seems to me like it'll come down to four Republican senators - Collins, Romney, Murkowski and Gardner, and of those I'd say only Romney might possibly be a no vote - despite what the others have said. If Mark Kelly is elected in Arizona (if this drags out until November, which is admittedly unlikely) then that could be another vote for the Democrats.

One interesting angle could be how many Trump voters were planning to hold their nose and vote for Trump solely to get that SC seat? If he gets it before the election, does their desire to vote for him dry up? Does electing a SC judge now damage his election hopes at all?

Regardless of all that, my thinking is that it's time for the Democratic Party to announce that if Republicans unjustly force this appointment through, then should the Democrats take the White House and Senate in November they'll stack the court and increase the number of judges, probably to eleven.

Oh, and we should grant statehood to DC and Puerto Rico while we are at it too. I'm tired of trying to play fairly against opponents who have tampered with the deck. This isn't about Trump voters, this purely concerns the conduct of the fully compromised and corrupt Republican party.

The Republicans have let the cat out of the bag now, if we get the chance, we should take full advantage.

Republicans classy as ever

And there is an ‘out’ if Trump does ram through a pick. Dems add more seats to the Supreme Court if they win the election

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 07:25 - Sep 19 with 1709 viewstractordownsouth

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 06:52 - Sep 19 by ElderGrizzly

Republicans classy as ever

And there is an ‘out’ if Trump does ram through a pick. Dems add more seats to the Supreme Court if they win the election

Collins is so pro-life, he’s delighting in someone else’s death

Probably hates big government too, unless said government is controlling women’s bodies

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 08:43 - Sep 19 with 1619 views26_Paz

Now.

Agree the appointment should be made after the election

The Paz Man

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 08:48 - Sep 19 with 1619 viewsMookamoo

Now.

Murkowski has already said she wont vote for a justice this side of the election.

Interesting how it will change the polling numbers.
Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 10:05 - Sep 19 with 1556 viewstractordownsouth

To be honest, I think the hypocrisy of McConnell and Graham over the date of the appointment may actually help the GOP. Not only does it shift the focus away from the Covid shambles, but it may scare a few conservatives who were considering voting for Biden back to the GOP with the threat of a liberal judge if Biden gets in.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 10:44 - Sep 19 with 1512 viewsSpruceMoose

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 10:05 - Sep 19 by tractordownsouth

To be honest, I think the hypocrisy of McConnell and Graham over the date of the appointment may actually help the GOP. Not only does it shift the focus away from the Covid shambles, but it may scare a few conservatives who were considering voting for Biden back to the GOP with the threat of a liberal judge if Biden gets in.

Of course, that only applies if they decide to not nominate and sit a judge before the election. You would be right though that if they were to decide to do that, the promise of Trump installing a judge who would roll back Roe v Wade provides a compelling reason for some voters to opt for vote for him.

The opposite could also be true though. Such an assault of women's right also provides a great motivation for the Bernie or Bust group to suck it up and vote Biden.

I look at it this way. What's more important to the Republicans? Getting Trump another four years or securing a position that will shape the country for decades to come? I think they will appoint now, rather than risk losing this opportunity.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 10:45]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:42 - Sep 19 with 1429 viewsElderGrizzly

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 10:44 - Sep 19 by SpruceMoose

Of course, that only applies if they decide to not nominate and sit a judge before the election. You would be right though that if they were to decide to do that, the promise of Trump installing a judge who would roll back Roe v Wade provides a compelling reason for some voters to opt for vote for him.

The opposite could also be true though. Such an assault of women's right also provides a great motivation for the Bernie or Bust group to suck it up and vote Biden.

I look at it this way. What's more important to the Republicans? Getting Trump another four years or securing a position that will shape the country for decades to come? I think they will appoint now, rather than risk losing this opportunity.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 10:45]

The “add two new judges” route if the Dems win the Senate and Presidency does appear to be gaining traction too.

Senior Dems tweeting support for it and nothing to stop them if they do win.

That might be enough of a threat to stop the GOP
Login to get fewer ads

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 21:20 - Sep 22 with 1304 viewsSpruceMoose

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:42 - Sep 19 by ElderGrizzly

The “add two new judges” route if the Dems win the Senate and Presidency does appear to be gaining traction too.

Senior Dems tweeting support for it and nothing to stop them if they do win.

That might be enough of a threat to stop the GOP

Mitt Romney reaches a new level of idiocy by announcing that the president he voted to impeach for committing crimes in office should get to pick the new Supreme Court Justice.

What a surprise that when the time comes to make an actual impact by going against Trump he looks the other way. Just goes to show him breaking ranks in the past was completely cynical and calculated.

Never trust a conservative.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 07:53 - Sep 23 with 1221 viewsitfcjoe

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 21:20 - Sep 22 by SpruceMoose

Mitt Romney reaches a new level of idiocy by announcing that the president he voted to impeach for committing crimes in office should get to pick the new Supreme Court Justice.

What a surprise that when the time comes to make an actual impact by going against Trump he looks the other way. Just goes to show him breaking ranks in the past was completely cynical and calculated.

Never trust a conservative.

I think the President should be able to, he's elected for 4 years after all.

But the Republicans have surely made that impossible with their actions last time round?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:09 - Sep 23 with 1192 viewsSpruceMoose

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 07:53 - Sep 23 by itfcjoe

I think the President should be able to, he's elected for 4 years after all.

But the Republicans have surely made that impossible with their actions last time round?

He's allowed to. That's correct. Obama was allowed to too, but that was blocked.

It's the hypocrisy that drives people insane, and it's the insanity that makes Republicans love doing it all the more.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:48 - Sep 23 with 1183 viewsElderGrizzly

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:09 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

He's allowed to. That's correct. Obama was allowed to too, but that was blocked.

It's the hypocrisy that drives people insane, and it's the insanity that makes Republicans love doing it all the more.

The best part will be they do it, then the Dems win the Presidency and the Senate and add 2 judges to the Supreme Court. Which again, they are allowed to do.

Pelosi could also start impeachment proceedings against Barr or Trump which will automatically suspend all processes to do with SC nominations/hearings.

The Dems need to play as dirty as the GOP here
Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:53 - Sep 23 with 1178 viewsSpruceMoose

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:48 - Sep 23 by ElderGrizzly

The best part will be they do it, then the Dems win the Presidency and the Senate and add 2 judges to the Supreme Court. Which again, they are allowed to do.

Pelosi could also start impeachment proceedings against Barr or Trump which will automatically suspend all processes to do with SC nominations/hearings.

The Dems need to play as dirty as the GOP here

Quite.

The Democrats need to appreciate that you can't beat the opponent when you're playing with their loaded deck.

Republicans are bad faith actors. They can't be trusted with to stick to established norms, can't be trusted to be partners, can't be trusted to act as grown ups who work towards a better life for everyone.

Democrats need to pay by their rules, and set the system up so that the Republicans are locked out of power for a generation or more.

Just let it be said - it wasn't the Democrats who polluted and killed American democracy.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 14:00 - Sep 23 with 1178 viewsElderGrizzly

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 13:53 - Sep 23 by SpruceMoose

Quite.

The Democrats need to appreciate that you can't beat the opponent when you're playing with their loaded deck.

Republicans are bad faith actors. They can't be trusted with to stick to established norms, can't be trusted to be partners, can't be trusted to act as grown ups who work towards a better life for everyone.

Democrats need to pay by their rules, and set the system up so that the Republicans are locked out of power for a generation or more.

Just let it be said - it wasn't the Democrats who polluted and killed American democracy.

Jim Jordan is already 'crying' about the inevitable too. Even more funny is he doesn't have the ability to stop them now, let alone if they win

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 14:28 - Sep 23 with 1165 viewsSpruceMoose

Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead on 14:00 - Sep 23 by ElderGrizzly

Jim Jordan is already 'crying' about the inevitable too. Even more funny is he doesn't have the ability to stop them now, let alone if they win

Ahem.. I think you mean Gym 'What 100 sex abuse reports?!' Jordan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024