Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chambo v Ref - interesting read 12:46 - Oct 22 with 1467 viewsBlueyandCrazy

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/features/11400/dunlavy-column-an-iron-first-is-ne

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:23 - Oct 22 with 1332 viewsSWGF

Strange perpetrator to highlight, given he could have, as per the photo at the top of the article, picked a far more high-profile exponent of the art of calling the ref every name under the sun. Given this happens in every single match, surprised of the need to name-check Chambers.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:35 - Oct 22 with 1275 viewscrossyitfc

Grass
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:42 - Oct 22 with 1257 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's got the kind of zeal I'd expect from a disgruntled Blackpool supporter.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:49 - Oct 22 with 1210 viewsSteve_M

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:23 - Oct 22 by SWGF

Strange perpetrator to highlight, given he could have, as per the photo at the top of the article, picked a far more high-profile exponent of the art of calling the ref every name under the sun. Given this happens in every single match, surprised of the need to name-check Chambers.

Well, quite. Compare with the Derby side of a few years ago for example.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:56 - Oct 22 with 1180 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

oh f*ck off ref you grass.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:21 - Oct 22 with 1116 viewsCrayonKing

I know the done thing is to stick up for your team whatever they do (partly why politics is so broken nowadays, but I digress) but this seems completely out of order from Chambers.

I usually hate the whole “footballers are role models” argument when applied to off-field matters, but when they’re on the pitch they really are. My 6 year-old daughter can name 3 footballers: Messi, Ronaldo, and Luke Chambers and I’d hate for her to see/hear him constantly telling the ref to f-off and thinking that is how you’re supposed to behave on a football pitch.

What I don’t get is why refs don’t book players for it though? Foul and abusive language is against the rules and the refs are supposed to enforce the rules! Given the issue it’s having on referee recruitment it seems like it should be a major focus for the governing bodies to sort out.

I expect that there will be clampdown sooner-or-later, not because they care about referee recruitment but because empty stadiums mean it’s that much more audible and broadcasters will get fed up of apologising for bad language every game
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:37 - Oct 22 with 1076 viewsParsley

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:21 - Oct 22 by CrayonKing

I know the done thing is to stick up for your team whatever they do (partly why politics is so broken nowadays, but I digress) but this seems completely out of order from Chambers.

I usually hate the whole “footballers are role models” argument when applied to off-field matters, but when they’re on the pitch they really are. My 6 year-old daughter can name 3 footballers: Messi, Ronaldo, and Luke Chambers and I’d hate for her to see/hear him constantly telling the ref to f-off and thinking that is how you’re supposed to behave on a football pitch.

What I don’t get is why refs don’t book players for it though? Foul and abusive language is against the rules and the refs are supposed to enforce the rules! Given the issue it’s having on referee recruitment it seems like it should be a major focus for the governing bodies to sort out.

I expect that there will be clampdown sooner-or-later, not because they care about referee recruitment but because empty stadiums mean it’s that much more audible and broadcasters will get fed up of apologising for bad language every game

Agreed that it's out of order from Chambers but I wouldn't single him out, a lot of players do it and it will happen most if not all games which is why refs let it go. I don't know why they don't clamp down on it as it seems quite an easy fix? start punishing it with cards it would soon stop. I also think having refs microphoned up would help gain more respect as they can explain their decisions to viewers and also it would pick up any abuse from players which wouldn't come across well.
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:49 - Oct 22 with 1043 viewsGarv

It doesn't look great when printed in black and white, but I really don't think what's he's quoted as saying is that bad in the grand scheme.

I'm surprised the author of that article has needed stadiums to be empty to realise what sort of things get said on the pitch.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:51 - Oct 22 with 1025 viewsCrayonKing

It’s probably just an example he saw recently, and I guess putting a name to it makes the story more personal than just “players often say this sort of thing”. We’re also a fairly big club by EFL standards (despite the last 15 years) so there’s probably an element of clickbait too - I certainly wouldn’t have clicked it if it hadn’t been posted here.
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:56 - Oct 22 with 1029 viewsPhilTWTD

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 13:42 - Oct 22 by Swansea_Blue

That's got the kind of zeal I'd expect from a disgruntled Blackpool supporter.

I know Chris, he's not a Blackpool fan. I saw the second incident and LC was angry about a tackle from behind on Alan Judge, which the referee had felt wasn't a foul, while Teddy Bishop had also been the victim of a couple of poor challenges which had gone without cards being shown. The comment was more 'do your f-ing job' as I recall it and the comment to the linesman was along the lines of whether he'd been watching the incident. I think I made reference to it on here in a thread at the time.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 15:04 - Oct 22 with 986 views66notout

I heard Chambers was particularly vocal in this game and I would guess the journo is basing his article on the half in which Chambo was rampaging up and down the flank adjacent to the press box. Simple as...
Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 17:19 - Oct 22 with 791 viewsPlums

Chambo v Ref - interesting read on 14:21 - Oct 22 by CrayonKing

I totally agree. I’ve seen referees ignore players doing this at non league level before a ball is kicked. It’s intimidation and needs stamping out. A yellow card immediately and it would soon stop.
We now have sin bins in youth football for this but unless the professional exponents are punished for it, it won’t stop.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024