Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Job retention bonus scrapped 22:09 - Nov 5 with 1379 viewsallezlesbleus

With the good news that the Furlough scheme has finally been extended, it appears to have passed under the radar that the government has now scrapped the £1,000 job retention bonus due to be paid to companies in February.

With November's income wiped out for many small companies, this could be the final nail in the coffin for some.

There does not seem to have been a great deal of thought gone into making things fairer. For example, the business rate relief was a welcomed initiative for retailers that had to shut during lockdown......but why did the retailers (such as the large supermarket chains) also get this relief, when they were able to trade as normal and probably had increased sales?

Job retention bonus scrapped on 22:57 - Nov 5 with 1317 viewshoppy

Unfortunately I know of a number of people that the furlough scheme being extended has been announced too late, having already been made redundant and looking for new jobs in a very crowded market for those seeking new positions.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:05 - Nov 5 with 1297 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

"There does not seem to have been a great deal of thought."

You summed it up in one sentence.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:11 - Nov 5 with 1284 viewsSwansea_Blue

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:05 - Nov 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

"There does not seem to have been a great deal of thought."

You summed it up in one sentence.

Oh there's been thought alright. It's the same as their high profile giveaway by raising the tax threshold. Looks good on paper, but when you analyse the effect of ALL their taxes/financial changes people are actually worse off. The Tories always give with one hand and take back more in stealth taxes with the other.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:16 - Nov 5 with 1271 viewscatch74

I’m thinking/hoping it will be revisited, maybe push it back by a few months .

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:19 - Nov 5 with 1266 viewscatch74

Job retention bonus scrapped on 22:57 - Nov 5 by hoppy

Unfortunately I know of a number of people that the furlough scheme being extended has been announced too late, having already been made redundant and looking for new jobs in a very crowded market for those seeking new positions.

That’s not good - if it was after September than they can be re-employed, not sure which companies would do that though, as they’d still have to pay 5% and that’s fo people they’ve clearly decided they won’t need moving forward.

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:41 - Nov 5 with 1241 viewsKropotkin123

Furlough is too little too late for most vulnerable jobs. My work would have kept me on if furlough was extended earlier.

Instead I'm covering rent, bills and food with job seekers allowance. No help beyond that as I had the audacity to try and save money for a home.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Job retention bonus scrapped on 00:01 - Nov 6 with 1214 viewsvapour_trail

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:41 - Nov 5 by Kropotkin123

Furlough is too little too late for most vulnerable jobs. My work would have kept me on if furlough was extended earlier.

Instead I'm covering rent, bills and food with job seekers allowance. No help beyond that as I had the audacity to try and save money for a home.

God speed, Kropotkin. Hope you get the breaks you need.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Job retention bonus scrapped on 00:16 - Nov 6 with 1204 viewsKropotkin123

Job retention bonus scrapped on 00:01 - Nov 6 by vapour_trail

God speed, Kropotkin. Hope you get the breaks you need.

Thank you. Fortunately I do have those savings. But others don't and it will be an unnecessary struggle for them due to the government's slow action.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:27 - Nov 6 with 1081 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:41 - Nov 5 by Kropotkin123

I'm about to be in the exact same position as you. Was looking forward to getting our own place next year...

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:35 - Nov 6 with 1055 viewsallezlesbleus

Job retention bonus scrapped on 23:16 - Nov 5 by catch74

I’m thinking/hoping it will be revisited, maybe push it back by a few months .

The problem is another 3 to 6 months later could be too late.

Small businesses that have been losing money week in, week out due to the downturn in footfall in city/town centres had that glimmer of hope that the JRS payment in February would help see them through the winter and give them half a chance to carry on trading (and employing staff) from the spring onwards.
Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:43 - Nov 6 with 1044 viewscatch74

Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:35 - Nov 6 by allezlesbleus

The problem is another 3 to 6 months later could be too late.

Small businesses that have been losing money week in, week out due to the downturn in footfall in city/town centres had that glimmer of hope that the JRS payment in February would help see them through the winter and give them half a chance to carry on trading (and employing staff) from the spring onwards.

I assume there will be a relaxation for December followed by further restrictions in January - small business grants maybe a solution. I think it needs to get to the point where there is long term planning in place next year, rather than reactive policies.
On a personal note, I was budgeting for the retention money, would have been about £10k for us. We also made the call to hire a marquee, with the tiered system it meant as we went up a tier we could still have mixed groups outside, with heat and cover. All in quite an expense, 3 days later the lockdown is announced.

Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:43 - Nov 6 with 1044 viewsMonkeyAlan

Job retention bonus scrapped on 22:57 - Nov 5 by hoppy

Yes. My Mrs is one of those. There are a lot out there.
Job retention bonus scrapped on 09:33 - Nov 6 with 1006 viewsallezlesbleus

Job retention bonus scrapped on 08:43 - Nov 6 by catch74

I assume there will be a relaxation for December followed by further restrictions in January - small business grants maybe a solution. I think it needs to get to the point where there is long term planning in place next year, rather than reactive policies.
On a personal note, I was budgeting for the retention money, would have been about £10k for us. We also made the call to hire a marquee, with the tiered system it meant as we went up a tier we could still have mixed groups outside, with heat and cover. All in quite an expense, 3 days later the lockdown is announced.

My understanding of it is that the JRS may come into play at the end of furlough, which is now scheduled for the end of March. This would make it likely that employers would need to keep the staff paid in April, May and June and would then get the payment in July.

We have had to pay full rent and service charge during the lockdown periods, plus standing charges on electric, water, credit card merchant services, maintenance & cleaning contracts, plus NI, PAYE and pension costs, as well as advertising campaigns that run annually. If our business is allowed to re-open on 3 December, we would have been forced to close for 19 out of 37 weeks. In the 18 weeks that we have been open, our takings are around 40% down on last year, because the town centre footfall is so low.

I totally agree with you, Catch74. Businesses are trying to follow the recommended health guidelines (at considerable expense) and are trying innovative ways to increase custom in a safe way and the lack of consistent advice from Boris, means that a lot of those efforts turn out to be expensive wastes of money, because the of the rules changing.

It was only a month or so ago that a national lockdown was totally ruled out by Boris and there was no chance that Furlough was going to be extended, so all employers made decisions based on the JSS.....which then changed and then was cancelled when the Furlough scheme was extended.

Totally joke, but not a funny one.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 9:35]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024