Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bloody Sunday 1920 10:21 - Nov 21 with 1946 viewsMoriarty

100 years ago today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/diarmaid-ferrit

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:34 - Nov 21 with 1650 viewsKeno

This still brings a tear too the eye and lump to the throat

and credit that the English anthem wasn't booed out

A welsh friend of mine was there that day and said the singing of the Irish Anthem was the most spine tingling thrilling singing he had heard a
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 11:02]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:38 - Nov 21 with 1652 viewsfactual_blue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:34 - Nov 21 by Keno

A welsh friend of mine was there that day and said the singing of the Irish Anthem was the most spine tingling thrilling singing he had heard a

If you listened to some on here, you'd believe only the IRA were murdering scum.

But that'll be from people who are essentially ignorant.

Or Have An Agenda.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:52 - Nov 21 with 1627 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:38 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

If you listened to some on here, you'd believe only the IRA were murdering scum.

Or Have An Agenda.

The IRA of the war of independence evolved into pro and anti treaty during the civil war and from there into the constitutional parties of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

They took the gun out of Irish politics to a large extent.

PS Maybe Biden’s win will boost Mayo to All Ireland glory this year!

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:00 - Nov 21 with 1617 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:34 - Nov 21 by Keno

Did you mean “Wasn’t booed”?

Croke Park is a great stadium. If the GAA ran Irish football, how much better would our fortunes be!?

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:02 - Nov 21 with 1609 viewsKeno

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:00 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

Did you mean “Wasn’t booed”?

Croke Park is a great stadium. If the GAA ran Irish football, how much better would our fortunes be!?

sorry, thanks for the edit!!

Thats an interesting one, also makes you wonder if football had followed Rugbys example what that team would be like

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:12 - Nov 21 with 1600 viewsGlasgowBlue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:38 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

Or Have An Agenda.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that. The British committed uncountable atrocities over the centuries. Somebody would have to be pretty one sided to suggest otherwise.

That doesn't excuse the Provisional IRA for the murders of innocent civilians from the period of the troubles, or those who actively supported them at the time.

A united Ireland is something that is not only desirable, but inevitable. I would always support this through peaceful means.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:16 - Nov 21 with 1584 viewsfooters

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:52 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

The IRA of the war of independence evolved into pro and anti treaty during the civil war and from there into the constitutional parties of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael.

Haha let's hope! Is he also a son of Mayo?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:17 - Nov 21 with 1592 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:02 - Nov 21 by Keno

sorry, thanks for the edit!!

Thats an interesting one, also makes you wonder if football had followed Rugbys example what that team would be like

Apparently that’s something George Best wanted to see.

Might well happen in years to come as a united island now seems more a question of “when” than “if”.

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:19 - Nov 21 with 1584 viewsGlasgowBlue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:17 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

Apparently that’s something George Best wanted to see.

Might well happen in years to come as a united island now seems more a question of “when” than “if”.

You still wouldn't score any goals.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:20 - Nov 21 with 1585 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:16 - Nov 21 by footers

I may be doing Facters a grave injustice but I think so.

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:34 - Nov 21 with 1568 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:19 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

You still wouldn't score any goals.

Indeed!

But at least (according to some) we’ll be more enjoyable to watch because we’ll be ace at tippy tappy.

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:37 - Nov 21 with 1563 viewsleitrimblue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:16 - Nov 21 by footers

He's a Ballina man, yer probably cousins
Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:48 - Nov 21 with 1542 viewsfooters

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:37 - Nov 21 by leitrimblue

He's a Ballina man, yer probably cousins

Good to know, cheers! But Ballina's probably too far East for my lot, they'd get a nosebleed.

Let's hope my invite to the inauguration is just lost in the post then...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:59 - Nov 21 with 1525 viewsGuthrum

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 10:52 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

The Irish independence movement had been split before 1916. Even as men were mobilising for the Easter Rising, there were others trying to prevent it going ahead. Did it advance or set back the cause? The heavy-handed British response created martyrs and stirred up a lot of antagonism, but the violence and destruction appalled many contmporary Irish, plus making the Government more determined to crack down.

There is a whole raft of "what ifs". I think it extremely likely that Home Rule would have been achieved in 1914-15, had the First World War not intervened. From there it could have moved to Dominion status and then effective independence (as per Canada, Australia, etc.). Tho that might have sparked an earlier, different civil war launched by Carson and the diehard Unionists. Partition may or may not have happened.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:01 - Nov 21 with 1522 viewsmikeybloo88

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:12 - Nov 21 by GlasgowBlue

I haven't seen anyone suggest that. The British committed uncountable atrocities over the centuries. Somebody would have to be pretty one sided to suggest otherwise.

That doesn't excuse the Provisional IRA for the murders of innocent civilians from the period of the troubles, or those who actively supported them at the time.

A united Ireland is something that is not only desirable, but inevitable. I would always support this through peaceful means.

Doesn't excuse them from the murder of countless British soldiers and RUC officers either in my book...but no point getting into all that again. Certainly not on here anyway where the tide of poison has risen to new levels of late...
Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:03 - Nov 21 with 1519 viewsleitrimblue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:48 - Nov 21 by footers

Good to know, cheers! But Ballina's probably too far East for my lot, they'd get a nosebleed.

Let's hope my invite to the inauguration is just lost in the post then...

Ballinas probably the big city your ancestors went on a crazy expedition too once or twice a year. Quick store up on jam, fist fight, carvery lunch, failed attempt to find a wife an back home again
Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:04 - Nov 21 with 1520 viewsfactual_blue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:20 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

I may be doing Facters a grave injustice but I think so.

If I have any Irish heritage, then I'd most likely be from Galway or Donegal, and of travelling stock.

That is a possibility, as one of my paternal grandfather's jobs was running a coconut shy. But, as his existence was kept secret from me (he was, alive until I was twelve, but disowned by his children), I'll never know for certain. I don't think he was himself born in Ireland, but it wouldn't surprise me if his family had come to England in the mid-19th century.

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:17 - Nov 21 with 1511 viewsleitrimblue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:04 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

If I have any Irish heritage, then I'd most likely be from Galway or Donegal, and of travelling stock.

That is a possibility, as one of my paternal grandfather's jobs was running a coconut shy. But, as his existence was kept secret from me (he was, alive until I was twelve, but disowned by his children), I'll never know for certain. I don't think he was himself born in Ireland, but it wouldn't surprise me if his family had come to England in the mid-19th century.

If your from Traveller stock from Galway-Donegal area then we probably related....
Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:21 - Nov 21 with 1498 viewsKeno

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:03 - Nov 21 by leitrimblue

Ballinas probably the big city your ancestors went on a crazy expedition too once or twice a year. Quick store up on jam, fist fight, carvery lunch, failed attempt to find a wife an back home again

by carvery lunch do you mean 4 different types of cooked potatoes?

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:35 - Nov 21 with 1473 viewsleitrimblue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:21 - Nov 21 by Keno

by carvery lunch do you mean 4 different types of cooked potatoes?

Exactly, it's not a real carvery/Sunday lunch without mashed, roasted, and gratined potatoes and a side order of chips or boxty
Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:44 - Nov 21 with 1450 viewsbluelagos

Excellent article, thanks.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:48 - Nov 21 with 1448 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 11:59 - Nov 21 by Guthrum

The Irish independence movement had been split before 1916. Even as men were mobilising for the Easter Rising, there were others trying to prevent it going ahead. Did it advance or set back the cause? The heavy-handed British response created martyrs and stirred up a lot of antagonism, but the violence and destruction appalled many contmporary Irish, plus making the Government more determined to crack down.

There is a whole raft of "what ifs". I think it extremely likely that Home Rule would have been achieved in 1914-15, had the First World War not intervened. From there it could have moved to Dominion status and then effective independence (as per Canada, Australia, etc.). Tho that might have sparked an earlier, different civil war launched by Carson and the diehard Unionists. Partition may or may not have happened.

I don’t think it had split before 1916.

Eoin McNeil and others didn’t want the rebellion to go ahead as they believed the chances of success were poor.. The Aud had been scuttled and arms were in short supply. Pearse and others believed in a blood sacrifice and 1916 became what it did. A different view and approach certainly but nothing like the split that flowed from the Treaty.

Pearse and his colleagues knew defeat was certain in 1916. As you say, General Maxwell oversaw the executions which changed everything. The reason Pearse surrendered was because of civilian casualties. He had otherwise been committed to fighting to the end.

It was the Treaty which flowed from the war of independence which created the split that led directly to the civil war which in turn moulded Irish politics.

Whatever about what iffs, I certainly think the South has undergone more significant social and economic change, especially over the last 20 - 30 years.

I think there is some acknowledgment amongst more moderate unionists that a united island will happen. GFA is the mechanism. I think there will be a border poll in the next decade but wouldn’t be one to call the outcome!
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 12:52]

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:52 - Nov 21 with 1440 viewsbluelagos

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:48 - Nov 21 by Moriarty

I don’t think it had split before 1916.

Eoin McNeil and others didn’t want the rebellion to go ahead as they believed the chances of success were poor.. The Aud had been scuttled and arms were in short supply. Pearse and others believed in a blood sacrifice and 1916 became what it did. A different view and approach certainly but nothing like the split that flowed from the Treaty.

Pearse and his colleagues knew defeat was certain in 1916. As you say, General Maxwell oversaw the executions which changed everything. The reason Pearse surrendered was because of civilian casualties. He had otherwise been committed to fighting to the end.

It was the Treaty which flowed from the war of independence which created the split that led directly to the civil war which in turn moulded Irish politics.

Whatever about what iffs, I certainly think the South has undergone more significant social and economic change, especially over the last 20 - 30 years.

I think there is some acknowledgment amongst more moderate unionists that a united island will happen. GFA is the mechanism. I think there will be a border poll in the next decade but wouldn’t be one to call the outcome!
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 12:52]

Ref your comment about economic change, I read recently that Ireland now has a higher GDP per capita than the UK.

Is that correct?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 12:53]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 13:11 - Nov 21 with 1418 viewsMoriarty

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:52 - Nov 21 by bluelagos

Ref your comment about economic change, I read recently that Ireland now has a higher GDP per capita than the UK.

Is that correct?
[Post edited 21 Nov 2020 12:53]

Could indeed be.

Probably also a view that Brexit might cause a wobble for us but a greater wobble for the U.K. so hopefully a deal can be done.

fka omuircheartaigh

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 13:17 - Nov 21 with 1408 viewsfactual_blue

Bloody Sunday 1920 on 12:35 - Nov 21 by leitrimblue

Exactly, it's not a real carvery/Sunday lunch without mashed, roasted, and gratined potatoes and a side order of chips or boxty

...and no meat.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024