Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Email scam 10:58 - Dec 1 with 894 viewsGavTWTD

This is a new one, for me anyway. I received an email from a person I know on a Yahoo email account saying they needed help urgently with something. I replied and they wanted me to buy some amazon gift cards. The email that time came from the same prefix but a gmail account. Obviously then suspicious I replied back and they ignored my validation check and wanted me to go out any buy 4 x £100 amazon gift cards in store, photograph the pins and send them on.

Obviously I've not done this but it's worrying they were able to get me even to engage with them, mainly because the initial email was vague.

I know my Dad will have been contacted in the same way and it's worrying that it's yet another thing I have to warn him about.

I've contacted the real person behind the original email and it's in hand to get the issue sorted and the police are even involved.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Email scam on 11:00 - Dec 1 with 853 viewshoppy

I've been aware of this one as well - fortunately no harm came from it, but you're right - there are vulnerable people that might be taken in with it.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Email scam on 11:03 - Dec 1 with 833 viewsusm

I take it thats a No then, Gav?
OK, I'll move on

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Email scam on 11:04 - Dec 1 with 824 viewsSteve_M

This has been happening in companies for a while, spoofed account e-mail address that looks to be from a senior manager asking for payment to be made to particular place. We've upped our security around that as well as increased the phishing training e-mails which continue to catch the unwary.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Email scam on 11:06 - Dec 1 with 804 viewswkj

These days I have to say I send everything with a yahoo domain straight into spam. Although this isn't yahoo's fault, they are notorious for accounts being hacked (i had 3 yahoo accounts hacked previously.)

It is a good warning though, the attempts are getting much more sophisticated.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Email scam on 11:12 - Dec 1 with 760 viewsPlums

One of my colleagues fell for this last year. They managed to get the money back. The email purported to come from the boss at the time Christmas gifts were being bought. Nasty.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 11:13]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Email scam on 11:45 - Dec 1 with 671 viewsitfc_bucks

That's all well and good, but I'm still waiting on my audi, from 2008!

Do you realise how much depreciation will have taken out of it in that time!
Email scam on 11:50 - Dec 1 with 654 viewsclive_baker

There aren't many people in the world I truly hate, but scammers are up there. Door knockers, phone callers, email scammers etc I can't stand them. Especially the ones that target old and vulnerable people. My grandad was harassed last year by some cowboys knocking on his door telling him his roof was shot. Thankfully he's still got enough wits about him to tell them to do one, and being an ex builder knows his onions.

w*****s

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Email scam on 12:31 - Dec 1 with 565 viewsHerbivore

This one has been around for a while, had an email with the exact same scam from our head of department but using a non-work email address about a year ago.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024