Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good news for our post-Covid future 11:19 - Dec 19 with 2054 viewsDarth_Koont

There’s a reasonable and equitable solution at hand that will minimise the burden. And won’t negatively affect the economy.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/News/Latest-news-from-LSE/2020/L-December/Tax-cuts-for-the

Pronouns: He/Him

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:35 - Dec 19 with 1931 viewsfactual_blue

The LSE is a Marxist institution that accepts money from the EU, according to 'well-informed' people who don't understand the academic world at all, but learn all they need from The School of Hard Knocks and The University of Life.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:39 - Dec 19 with 1913 viewsJ2BLUE

You mean the benefit doesn't trickle down? I'm stunned.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:40 - Dec 19 with 1913 viewsfooters

I've yet to order it because of the delays but Grace Blakeley's new book on the post-covid world looks pretty good. A definite must after Crimbo.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:41 - Dec 19 with 1911 viewsfooters

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:39 - Dec 19 by J2BLUE

Always knew you'd come round, mate. You were too good for the Top Gear Gang. Welcome home.

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:42 - Dec 19 with 1905 viewsfactual_blue

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:41 - Dec 19 by footers

Always knew you'd come round, mate. You were too good for the Top Gear Gang. Welcome home.

Although he's already ruined his own future.

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:43 - Dec 19 with 1902 viewsfooters

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:42 - Dec 19 by factual_blue

Although he's already ruined his own future.

That's fine. I'll just take him to Minehead on holiday instead.

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:45 - Dec 19 with 1894 viewsfactual_blue

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:43 - Dec 19 by footers

That's fine. I'll just take him to Minehead on holiday instead.

That's a cruel and unusual punishment.

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:45 - Dec 19 with 1892 viewsDarth_Koont

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:35 - Dec 19 by factual_blue

The LSE is a Marxist institution that accepts money from the EU, according to 'well-informed' people who don't understand the academic world at all, but learn all they need from The School of Hard Knocks and The University of Life.

Indeed.

Although any reputable economist understands and respects the Marxist perspective on capitalism and the inequality and injustice it breeds if unregulated and under-taxed. The other economists are bought and paid for by greed-lobbying “think tanks” along the lines of climate change-denying scientists or chain-smoking doctors.

Login to get fewer ads

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:49 - Dec 19 with 1874 viewsDarth_Koont

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:39 - Dec 19 by J2BLUE

Same here. Who’d have guessed that the people (and the media and politicians they buy) pretending their self-interest was the same as society’s best interests were being “economical” with the truth?

Although this goes a step further and suggests the lower-tax incentive doesn’t even grow the economy that they’re taking a larger and larger share of. That’s always been a mainstay of their argument.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 12:52]

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:56 - Dec 19 with 1833 viewsfactual_blue

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:49 - Dec 19 by Darth_Koont

Same here. Who’d have guessed that the people (and the media and politicians they buy) pretending their self-interest was the same as society’s best interests were being “economical” with the truth?

Although this goes a step further and suggests the lower-tax incentive doesn’t even grow the economy that they’re taking a larger and larger share of. That’s always been a mainstay of their argument.
[Post edited 19 Dec 2020 12:52]

The very few people I've encountered who have had contact with Very Rich People all say the same thing: Very Rich People are interested only in keeping and increasing their own wealth.

Good news for our post-Covid future on 13:00 - Dec 19 with 1820 viewsjaykay

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:41 - Dec 19 by footers

keep a eye on him footers the dark lord ( retracted} wont let him go easily.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Good news for our post-Covid future on 13:00 - Dec 19 with 1819 viewsCoachRob

Good news for our post-Covid future on 12:45 - Dec 19 by Darth_Koont

Indeed.

Although any reputable economist understands and respects the Marxist perspective on capitalism and the inequality and injustice it breeds if unregulated and under-taxed. The other economists are bought and paid for by greed-lobbying “think tanks” along the lines of climate change-denying scientists or chain-smoking doctors.

Economics is a cult, yes there are a few heterodox economists trying to apply a scientific perspective to it e.g. Ole Peters but mainly it is people spouting nonsense which is derived from cult figures like Samuelson and Nordhaus.

The whole field needs a overhaul and some students are trying to get a pluralistic pedagogy through groups like Rethinking Economics.
Good news for our post-Covid future on 13:13 - Dec 19 with 1784 viewseireblue

I am sure Rishi and Johnson will be relieved to read that.
Good news for our post-Covid future on 14:50 - Dec 19 with 1675 viewslowhouseblue

Good news for our post-Covid future on 13:00 - Dec 19 by CoachRob

Economics is a cult, yes there are a few heterodox economists trying to apply a scientific perspective to it e.g. Ole Peters but mainly it is people spouting nonsense which is derived from cult figures like Samuelson and Nordhaus.

The whole field needs a overhaul and some students are trying to get a pluralistic pedagogy through groups like Rethinking Economics.

ole peters is just a fuss on twitter. even if you accept his stuff on expected utility, it doesn't lead any where existing. it's a curiosity which it using a narrow and crude taken on economics as a straw man.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Good news for our post-Covid future on 17:35 - Dec 19 with 1554 viewsCoachRob

Good news for our post-Covid future on 14:50 - Dec 19 by lowhouseblue

ole peters is just a fuss on twitter. even if you accept his stuff on expected utility, it doesn't lead any where existing. it's a curiosity which it using a narrow and crude taken on economics as a straw man.

Ouch, Ole will love that.

Got any ideas on how economics can be saved from the laughing stock it has become?
Good news for our post-Covid future on 18:05 - Dec 19 with 1501 viewslowhouseblue

Good news for our post-Covid future on 17:35 - Dec 19 by CoachRob

Ouch, Ole will love that.

Got any ideas on how economics can be saved from the laughing stock it has become?

there's a real risk of confusing economics as a subject / discipline/ set of methods with a particular ideological approach promoted by some (even many) economists. conclusions are contested and different political positions can be developed. the idea that peters is the first person to challenge expected utility or particular approaches to risk and uncertainty is bizarre - that critque has been pretty central to economic debates since at least keynes. alas undergrad text books give a very narrow view of the discipline - they should have much more variety and debate - but believing that all economics is what is in particular text book is just setting up a straw man.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Good news for our post-Covid future on 21:29 - Dec 19 with 1372 viewsCoachRob

Good news for our post-Covid future on 18:05 - Dec 19 by lowhouseblue

there's a real risk of confusing economics as a subject / discipline/ set of methods with a particular ideological approach promoted by some (even many) economists. conclusions are contested and different political positions can be developed. the idea that peters is the first person to challenge expected utility or particular approaches to risk and uncertainty is bizarre - that critque has been pretty central to economic debates since at least keynes. alas undergrad text books give a very narrow view of the discipline - they should have much more variety and debate - but believing that all economics is what is in particular text book is just setting up a straw man.

Yeah absolutely agree about plurality - I come from a very similar background as Ole i.e. not an economist but a scientist. I find ad hominem attacks the norm in economics debates, there seems to be little interdisciplinary work and when there is - say Oxford Martin with Doyne it descends into the same old arguments.

I first got introduced to this subject by being dragged along to a talk by Prof Victoria Chick about Keynes and the Cambridge Controversy. I am baffled by what economists even want to achieve - is it just a political debate or do economists want to build macro-models similar to Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics.

I not sure want you mean by economics is more than the textbook as this is what undergraduates are trained from ad nausium. This is the future of the subject and if Nordhaus and his DICE model are anything to go by, there won't be one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024