Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would a school have an opinion on the length of 19:18 - Jan 12 with 1038 viewsgiant_stow

A girl's skirt, as long as its not too short?!

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jan/12/school-threatens-legal-action-

Not letting a muslim girl wear a long skirt seems to skirt on discrimination to me.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 19:24]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:22 - Jan 12 with 1009 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Interesting idea and I do wonder the reasoning.

I was at Kesgrave when they banned skirts because they were getting ridiculously short.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:26 - Jan 12 with 986 viewsgiant_stow

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:22 - Jan 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

I was at Kesgrave when they banned skirts because they were getting ridiculously short.

It's weird innit

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:37 - Jan 12 with 950 viewsNthQldITFC

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:22 - Jan 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Crikey. Surely that would expose even more flesh?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:40 - Jan 12 with 944 viewsjeera

I saw this earlier and couldn't come up with anything in the school's defence myself.

The kid looks perfectly respectable in her photos so what's the issue here?

It's not for them to dictate the shortness of a skirt a girl should be comfortable with, for any reason.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 20:43 - Jan 12 with 888 viewsClareBlue

The headline is misleading in that there is no threat of legal action because of the length of skirt it is because she is not attending school because she is not returning to school after being sent home for breaching uniform policy.

If there is a problem, it is with the policy not with the enforcement of it. The policy was changed 2 years ago so you have got to ask what the rationale was for that change. There could be very good reasons.

Parents sign up to school policies and the school can not enforce it indiscriminately. If there needs to be exemptions for any reasons, including religious, this needs to be part of the policy. The emphasis has to be on getting a change in uniform policy not saying it is discrimination for enforcing an agreed to policy.
Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 20:53 - Jan 12 with 881 viewsjeera

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 20:43 - Jan 12 by ClareBlue

The headline is misleading in that there is no threat of legal action because of the length of skirt it is because she is not attending school because she is not returning to school after being sent home for breaching uniform policy.

If there is a problem, it is with the policy not with the enforcement of it. The policy was changed 2 years ago so you have got to ask what the rationale was for that change. There could be very good reasons.

Parents sign up to school policies and the school can not enforce it indiscriminately. If there needs to be exemptions for any reasons, including religious, this needs to be part of the policy. The emphasis has to be on getting a change in uniform policy not saying it is discrimination for enforcing an agreed to policy.

"it is because she is not attending school because she is not returning to school after being sent home for breaching uniform policy."

She was absent because she'd been sent home.

As for the rest of your post, the article does say she had previously been attending with no problems.

Anyone having a problem with a school girl choosing to wear a more modest option for any reason is a prize A tw@t.

The colours are fine, she looks the part. No adult should be so petty to point out anything else.

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 21:21 - Jan 12 with 850 viewsCBBlue

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 20:43 - Jan 12 by ClareBlue

Surely then the school policy is in breach of the 2010 Equality Act

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 21:45 - Jan 12 with 825 viewsjeera

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 21:21 - Jan 12 by CBBlue

Surely then the school policy is in breach of the 2010 Equality Act

That and the common sense act.

She's allowed to wear trousers and the skirt is near-as-dammit the same length, so there is no reason at all to be particular about this.

It comes across as cultural bullying as it stands, yes.

Login to get fewer ads

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 22:08 - Jan 12 with 786 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 19:37 - Jan 12 by NthQldITFC

Crikey. Surely that would expose even more flesh?

I am not too sure that with the shortness of the skirts and the fact they were cycling along the A1214 they would have revealed any more!

Of course, as I am sure you know, the rule became all students wear trousers. It made national news as the first school to "ban skirts".

It is interesting how uniform policies do develop as we see more changes in culture. I can imagine there may have been a reason for fixing both minimum and maximum lengths and probably stating the style that fitted the uniform but most schools when confronted with an issue that is to do with religious practice make allowances and change the policy reasonably promptly.

Sometimes you think these stories are very much presenting a skewed student side of the story but this does not, on the face of it, appear that way.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 22:10]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why would a school have an opinion on the length of on 06:56 - Jan 13 with 684 viewsdickie

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024