Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the weirder comments from last night 09:40 - Feb 17 with 1232 viewsTractorJack

When asked about getting the best out of current squad:

"Whether the quality is there, nobody knows.'

Huh?? Nobody is able to evaluate the quality of the players?
One of the weirder comments from last night on 09:46 - Feb 17 with 1145 viewsEwan_Oozami

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:10 - Feb 17 with 1043 viewsGeoffSentence

One of the weirder comments from last night on 09:46 - Feb 17 by Ewan_Oozami

Darren Drysdale is pretty decent on bass.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:13 - Feb 17 with 1009 viewsSwansea_Blue

I can associate with that. We play so crap as a unit that you wonder whether there's actually anything more in the players. Look at Parrott when he came in fresh for his first couple of games. Loads of clever running, nice touches, involved in things. 2 weeks in of our coaching and he looked like a Sunday league player last night.

That's a fan's perspective though. You'd think the professional coaches who work with them every day would know whether they have the quality. If not they shouldn't be in a job.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2021 10:14]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:24 - Feb 17 with 938 viewsRadlett_blue

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:13 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

I can associate with that. We play so crap as a unit that you wonder whether there's actually anything more in the players. Look at Parrott when he came in fresh for his first couple of games. Loads of clever running, nice touches, involved in things. 2 weeks in of our coaching and he looked like a Sunday league player last night.

That's a fan's perspective though. You'd think the professional coaches who work with them every day would know whether they have the quality. If not they shouldn't be in a job.

I think this was a throw-away comment from Lambert, implying that many of the players he inherited - notably Hurst's signings - probably weren't good enough.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:30 - Feb 17 with 887 viewsSwansea_Blue

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:24 - Feb 17 by Radlett_blue

I think this was a throw-away comment from Lambert, implying that many of the players he inherited - notably Hurst's signings - probably weren't good enough.

Ah right. It wasn't there in many of them in fairness. They certainly don't look players in this league, never mind suitable for the jump up to the championship.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:48 - Feb 17 with 836 viewsHerbivore

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:13 - Feb 17 by Swansea_Blue

Our manager and coaches didn't think Donacien was good enough, he's been one of Fleetwood's best players since leaving us. Our manager didn't think Emmanuel had the quality needed, he's a regular for a side challenging for automatic promotion. I think what he says is true, they really don't know whether the players are any good or not. That's not because the players aren't good enough, far from it, it's because the staff here just don't have a clue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:55 - Feb 17 with 783 viewsSomethingBlue

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:48 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

Our manager and coaches didn't think Donacien was good enough, he's been one of Fleetwood's best players since leaving us. Our manager didn't think Emmanuel had the quality needed, he's a regular for a side challenging for automatic promotion. I think what he says is true, they really don't know whether the players are any good or not. That's not because the players aren't good enough, far from it, it's because the staff here just don't have a clue.

They clearly don't, although in Emmanuel's case Lambert wouldn't have been the first manager to think that. There is a wider, longer-term problem within the club around failing to get the best out of players — often academy products — who then thrive elsewhere. It began with Jordan Rhodes and has got much worse.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

One of the weirder comments from last night on 11:16 - Feb 17 with 697 viewsHerbivore

One of the weirder comments from last night on 10:55 - Feb 17 by SomethingBlue

They clearly don't, although in Emmanuel's case Lambert wouldn't have been the first manager to think that. There is a wider, longer-term problem within the club around failing to get the best out of players — often academy products — who then thrive elsewhere. It began with Jordan Rhodes and has got much worse.

This is also fair. I think the thing is that people also talk about quality like it's something fixed. You hear statements like "the players are midtable League 1 quality" or "he's a League 2 player at best". I'm pretty sure the latter has been used about Donacien, despite him playing perfectly capably for other League 1 sides over the last couple of years.

I always go back to the likes of Hyam, Tabb and Anderson. Would anyone say those guys were top 6 Championship footballers? Probably not, but they all featured regularly for us when we did finish top 6 in the Championship and didn't look particularly out of place. They were good enough to play the role asked of them in a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Players need the right conditions to show their quality and young players need to be nurtured properly. Currently our development of our younger players is abysmal, they get dropped in out of nowhere for a couple of games and then bombed out for months on end. The lack of any kind of cohesive system and game plan doesn't exactly give anyone else the opportunity to shine either.

We see moments of quality but it's not consistent. That said, I don't see how anyone can look at the personnel we have at our disposal and say that individual ability is the problem here. We have players that can't make our bench that would walk into most sides at this level, and likely look good when doing so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

One of the weirder comments from last night on 11:49 - Feb 17 with 641 viewsRadlett_blue

One of the weirder comments from last night on 11:16 - Feb 17 by Herbivore

This is also fair. I think the thing is that people also talk about quality like it's something fixed. You hear statements like "the players are midtable League 1 quality" or "he's a League 2 player at best". I'm pretty sure the latter has been used about Donacien, despite him playing perfectly capably for other League 1 sides over the last couple of years.

I always go back to the likes of Hyam, Tabb and Anderson. Would anyone say those guys were top 6 Championship footballers? Probably not, but they all featured regularly for us when we did finish top 6 in the Championship and didn't look particularly out of place. They were good enough to play the role asked of them in a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Players need the right conditions to show their quality and young players need to be nurtured properly. Currently our development of our younger players is abysmal, they get dropped in out of nowhere for a couple of games and then bombed out for months on end. The lack of any kind of cohesive system and game plan doesn't exactly give anyone else the opportunity to shine either.

We see moments of quality but it's not consistent. That said, I don't see how anyone can look at the personnel we have at our disposal and say that individual ability is the problem here. We have players that can't make our bench that would walk into most sides at this level, and likely look good when doing so.

Indeed. A good manager makes his team more effective than the sum of its parts, largely be assessing the players he has & finding a system which gets the best out of them, which usually involves playing them in positions in which they are comfortable.
Lambert doesn't appear remotely capable of doing this.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024