Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. 12:33 - Apr 6 with 3285 viewsistanblue

A lot of fans seem to cling to the idea that a massive rebuilding job in the summer will be the cure to all our problems. But does anyone seriously believe that we will rebuild properly whilst Evans and his puppet O'Neill are at the helm? Cook won't be backed financially so we'll be targeting League 1/2 castoffs and loans. Our scouting network is also non-existent at the moment (hence the announcement about data-driven recruitment in future).
Even if Cook gets rid of all of them (which is what a lot seem to want), they'll most likely be replaced with players of similar quality. Factor in the need for the new players to gel after such a large turnover and I seriously think we could be marooned in League 1 (or worse) for years to come. That is unless Evans gets the message that he isn't wanted here and sells up but that seems unlikely unfortunately.
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 12:37 - Apr 6 with 3226 viewsHARRY10

does this need a new thread ?
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 12:41 - Apr 6 with 3206 viewsjayessess

Cook shouldn't need to be "backed financially" to put together a competitive team in this division.

Why on Earth should we need significant additional investment when our average matchday income is more than twice the average for the division?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:08 - Apr 6 with 3111 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There will be loads of freebies knocking about in the summer, and we must be one of the most attractive clubs (and paying the most wages) for League 1. I have faith in Cook to get decent players in without having to pay transfer fees.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:12 - Apr 6 with 3092 viewsDeano69

and if we stay as we are with a squad of 50 and no quality at all, we'll be stuck in League 1 forever.

answers on a postcard?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:14 - Apr 6 with 3083 viewsDevereuxxx

The hope has to be that new players will bring a shift in mentality.

At the moment the squad is completed mired in a malaise, at best they are short of confidence at worst they are disinterested.

We need players who are hungry for success - we'll be an attractive club for players in league One over the summer as many will see us as one of the best routes to championship football. The current lot don't care.
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:32 - Apr 6 with 3029 viewshaynes_toe1

I think people underestimate the work required for a full clearout and rebuild. It's a challenge to get a whole new set of players playing together with understandings etc. I also think the competing League One clubs, either that come down from the championship or fail to get promoted this season, will have equal or better scouting networks in place, and some will have bigger budgets.
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:52 - Apr 6 with 2978 viewsjayessess

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:32 - Apr 6 by haynes_toe1

I think people underestimate the work required for a full clearout and rebuild. It's a challenge to get a whole new set of players playing together with understandings etc. I also think the competing League One clubs, either that come down from the championship or fail to get promoted this season, will have equal or better scouting networks in place, and some will have bigger budgets.

Who's going to have a bigger budget than us?
There's one club in this division with a bigger fan base than us: Sunderland.
There's two others with similar, but still smaller, fan bases - Charlton and Portsmouth.
There's one other team whose average attendances cracked 5 figures in their last normal season - Hull.

Of those, at least one of Sunderland and Hull will go up, possibly both. You might even see the back of Portsmouth too.

Wycombe are nailed on to be one of the relegated sides, Rotherham likely joining them. So realistically, only one big club coming down.

There's a strong possibility that next season it'll be just be us, Sheffield Wednesday and one other with a fan base of 16,000+.

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:08 - Apr 6 with 2939 viewsDeano69

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 13:32 - Apr 6 by haynes_toe1

Something has to give.

Our squad is too big, wages need to be reduced, what we are producing right now is barely League 1 quality. The majority of the players on the squad are not likely to make it to the first team as we seem to hit the loan market in preference, so clearly there's no faith in the extended squad of players.

Our youth players of any real capability seem to exit on deals to the likes of Chelsea etc where I am sure there's no real hope of making the first team, yet it would look good on the CV.

There is no real prospective first team player policy, succession planning, path to the first team or strategy to attract good players that I can see. Which I appreciate doesn't help with a rebuild but the last few managers have all commented on major changes required from top to bottom in the club. No one seems to want to take it on though.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:18 - Apr 6 with 2914 viewsOldsmoker

I wonder if Evans looks at the balance sheet and sees assets rather than players. His valuations might mean he is loathe to release certain players. If they don't get games then I don't see them being attractive to other clubs and that's another seasons worth of wages wasted on a player.
Clubs have been hit financially during the pandemic and I'm convinced that most teams are going to try to compete next season with smaller squads because they have no choice but to cut costs.
If Evans was a football man then he would release a lot more players than he is likely to with his business man mentality making the decisions.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:44 - Apr 6 with 2866 viewsjayessess

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:18 - Apr 6 by Oldsmoker

I wonder if Evans looks at the balance sheet and sees assets rather than players. His valuations might mean he is loathe to release certain players. If they don't get games then I don't see them being attractive to other clubs and that's another seasons worth of wages wasted on a player.
Clubs have been hit financially during the pandemic and I'm convinced that most teams are going to try to compete next season with smaller squads because they have no choice but to cut costs.
If Evans was a football man then he would release a lot more players than he is likely to with his business man mentality making the decisions.

That's likely what happened with Jackson in the Summer. Evans didn't want to take the loss, even though Lambert didn't want him.

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:49 - Apr 6 with 2859 viewsStockholmBlue

Maybe i have a different view than most when it comes to the rebuild. Many seem to think we need 10-15 new players. I dont. We do have too many players in the team at present so we need to offload about 10-15 players but think we only need about 4-5 new players in. We do need a new backbone as we are too soft. If we can get a really good commandons CB, a tough ballwinning CDM and CF that can score goals we will be fine. And a GK ofcourse. The fifth need would be a LB but maybe Kenlock could do enough for this level.

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:00 - Apr 6 with 2802 viewsRadlett_blue

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:44 - Apr 6 by jayessess

That's likely what happened with Jackson in the Summer. Evans didn't want to take the loss, even though Lambert didn't want him.

Add Donacien to that list - a player who has been totally surplus to requirements ever since Hurst went. Again, Evans didn't want to take the loss in January, so he can take a bigger loss in June unless he wants to trigger a 1 year stay of execution.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:13 - Apr 6 with 2778 viewsjayessess

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 14:49 - Apr 6 by StockholmBlue

Maybe i have a different view than most when it comes to the rebuild. Many seem to think we need 10-15 new players. I dont. We do have too many players in the team at present so we need to offload about 10-15 players but think we only need about 4-5 new players in. We do need a new backbone as we are too soft. If we can get a really good commandons CB, a tough ballwinning CDM and CF that can score goals we will be fine. And a GK ofcourse. The fifth need would be a LB but maybe Kenlock could do enough for this level.

Currently the club has 15 approaching end of contract, 6 loanees, 12 under contract beyond this Summer (plus a few other kids who have appeared for the first team less than 5 times).

The 12 are:

GK: Holy, Cornell
DF: Kenlock, Vincent-Young, Woolfenden
MF: Downes, Dozzell, Nolan
AMF: Dobra, Lankester
FW: Norwood, Hawkins

Even if we keep 5 of the out of contract players (Let's say Bishop, Chambers, Nsiala, Nydam, Judge) and don't sell any of the under contract ones I can't see that 4-5 would be enough?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 15:14]

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:44 - Apr 6 with 2710 viewsDyland

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:13 - Apr 6 by jayessess

Currently the club has 15 approaching end of contract, 6 loanees, 12 under contract beyond this Summer (plus a few other kids who have appeared for the first team less than 5 times).

The 12 are:

GK: Holy, Cornell
DF: Kenlock, Vincent-Young, Woolfenden
MF: Downes, Dozzell, Nolan
AMF: Dobra, Lankester
FW: Norwood, Hawkins

Even if we keep 5 of the out of contract players (Let's say Bishop, Chambers, Nsiala, Nydam, Judge) and don't sell any of the under contract ones I can't see that 4-5 would be enough?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2021 15:14]

Not a bad core, that...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:52 - Apr 6 with 2691 viewsjayessess

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:44 - Apr 6 by Dyland

Not a bad core, that...

Weeeeell... I think you'd need a lot of faith to have that as half your squad. Faith in some of them translating potential into something concrete. Faith in some others staying fit and in form.

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 17:02 - Apr 6 with 2628 viewsDyland

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:52 - Apr 6 by jayessess

Weeeeell... I think you'd need a lot of faith to have that as half your squad. Faith in some of them translating potential into something concrete. Faith in some others staying fit and in form.

true dat

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 17:12 - Apr 6 with 2614 viewsbobbyramsey

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 15:44 - Apr 6 by Dyland

Not a bad core, that...

The same "core" that has failed so miserably this season....
'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 17:15 - Apr 6 with 2605 viewsjayessess

'clearout' 'rebuild' etc. on 17:12 - Apr 6 by bobbyramsey

The same "core" that has failed so miserably this season....

Hardly. There's only 3 in there who've featured in more than half our league games!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024