Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another by-election coming up 17:29 - May 9 with 1181 viewstractordownsouth

Tracy Brabin has won the West Yorkshire mayoralty, meaning she will have to resign as MP for Batley and Spen, Jo Cox's old seat. Labour majority is 3.5k (similar size to Hartlepool) - very small Brexit Party vote from 2019, but a Brexit-backing independent won 6k. A different seat to Hartlepool in as much as it was Conservative until 1992 and has never had a large Labour majority, but it's a similar challenge.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Another by-election coming up on 17:50 - May 9 with 1102 viewsGlasgowBlue

Usual caveats as per EG's earlier thread.

Just make sure Angela Rayner doesn't go up there in a hoodie, leopard print leggings and stomper boots .
[Post edited 9 May 2021 17:52]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another by-election coming up on 07:49 - May 10 with 900 viewsHARRY10

Something odd here

If you only read the rightwing rags and the rightwing nutters on here you would imagine that Labour had all been wiped out - yet it turns out that then truth is far different. Nothing new there then.

Lers hope that whoever is selected is not met with the stupidity of Hartlepool voters

" Labour went wrong with Ed instead of David Miliband." whereas David was the a Starmer type politician (same views)

""Brexit is done, gone, and we need to move on from that. We need jobs, investment, not just all mouth and no action. "Actions speak louder than words." So you vote for some whose whole political career is summed up by those latter words - with no grasp that opposition parties have no control over government investment.

Sadly to gets worse

""All my family were fishermen, there was no way I was going to vote against Brexit"

If any of the above nonsense had any worth then other similar areas suffering from the ravages of the free market would have voted for bigotry as well. the reality is that the reason that places like Hartlepool grew and prospered are the very reasons the opposite is now happening.

The heavy industries/coal mining have been closing as production is shifted abroad, and energy needs are met by other means. Where previously workers could move to other areas it is actually Tory policy on housing that has blocked this. Even if you own your own house it is unlikely that you will be able to move 'south', and there certainly is not any social housing to move to.

As to another lie peddled above, that the Labour candidate was 'parachuted' in

"It is understood that members of the local executive committee were organising to select Williams, their favoured candidate, and that those heading the local party approve of the approach taken by Labour nationally. The Hartlepool Labour secretary sent an email, which was leaked, showing that they wanted a candidate shortlist comprising only Williams"

The lesson here being that you don't save foxes by blaming hunt saboteurs from not doing enough to stop the fox hunters. Sadly, as elsewhere, that lesson will only be learned through+ bitter experience.

Ask UK fishermen and farmers.
Another by-election coming up on 07:52 - May 10 with 891 viewsVic

Another by-election coming up on 07:49 - May 10 by HARRY10

Something odd here

If you only read the rightwing rags and the rightwing nutters on here you would imagine that Labour had all been wiped out - yet it turns out that then truth is far different. Nothing new there then.

Lers hope that whoever is selected is not met with the stupidity of Hartlepool voters

" Labour went wrong with Ed instead of David Miliband." whereas David was the a Starmer type politician (same views)

""Brexit is done, gone, and we need to move on from that. We need jobs, investment, not just all mouth and no action. "Actions speak louder than words." So you vote for some whose whole political career is summed up by those latter words - with no grasp that opposition parties have no control over government investment.

Sadly to gets worse

""All my family were fishermen, there was no way I was going to vote against Brexit"

If any of the above nonsense had any worth then other similar areas suffering from the ravages of the free market would have voted for bigotry as well. the reality is that the reason that places like Hartlepool grew and prospered are the very reasons the opposite is now happening.

The heavy industries/coal mining have been closing as production is shifted abroad, and energy needs are met by other means. Where previously workers could move to other areas it is actually Tory policy on housing that has blocked this. Even if you own your own house it is unlikely that you will be able to move 'south', and there certainly is not any social housing to move to.

As to another lie peddled above, that the Labour candidate was 'parachuted' in

"It is understood that members of the local executive committee were organising to select Williams, their favoured candidate, and that those heading the local party approve of the approach taken by Labour nationally. The Hartlepool Labour secretary sent an email, which was leaked, showing that they wanted a candidate shortlist comprising only Williams"

The lesson here being that you don't save foxes by blaming hunt saboteurs from not doing enough to stop the fox hunters. Sadly, as elsewhere, that lesson will only be learned through+ bitter experience.

Ask UK fishermen and farmers.

Hardly a vote winner to call voters ‘stupid’.

I think this is what’s wrong with our politics these days - it’s become very tribal, and the other tribe is ‘stupid or whatever. Maybe though they’re not stupid, maybe they just have a different opinion!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Another by-election coming up on 08:23 - May 10 with 844 viewsvapour_trail

Another by-election coming up on 17:50 - May 9 by GlasgowBlue

Usual caveats as per EG's earlier thread.

Just make sure Angela Rayner doesn't go up there in a hoodie, leopard print leggings and stomper boots .
[Post edited 9 May 2021 17:52]

Stay classy.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Another by-election coming up on 08:47 - May 10 with 803 viewsGlasgowBlue

Another by-election coming up on 08:23 - May 10 by vapour_trail

Stay classy.

It’s a private joke between me and TDS who have been discussing the elections and the Rayner sacking off board.

The Rayner reference was from a story that claims Starmer became disillusioned with her for turning up in Hartlepool wearing a hoodie, leopard print leggings and combat boots which he concluded was inappropriate and made her unsuitable to run labour’s campaigns.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/09/how-labour-fault-lines-led-to-a

Absolutely ridiculous from Starmer if true, but well done for being so desperate to have a pop at me on a Monday morning.

Rent fookin free.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 8:54]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Another by-election coming up on 09:19 - May 10 with 754 viewsEwan_Oozami

Labour's campaign should be:

More food banks, but only for rich people
We got Brexit done, so stop moaning
More police on the streets, but we'll defund them so they have to patrol naked
Deport illegal immigrants to Premier Inns rather than 5 star hotels
Political correctness made illegal..but only for lefties
We'll sell our NHS to the Americans for peanuts....

just for the lols...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Another by-election coming up on 09:51 - May 10 with 708 viewsHARRY10

Another by-election coming up on 07:52 - May 10 by Vic

Hardly a vote winner to call voters ‘stupid’.

I think this is what’s wrong with our politics these days - it’s become very tribal, and the other tribe is ‘stupid or whatever. Maybe though they’re not stupid, maybe they just have a different opinion!

Measuring those particular comments against rational thought then, yes, they are stupid.

One of the main problems with politics now is this nonsense that just because someone holds a view, it should be respected.

It should not.

Their right to hold an opinion and express it should be respected, and upheld (with certain caveats) but what you are doing is rather hypocritical ie should not refer to opinions as stupid

Claiming that as your family have long been fishermen, so that is why you have to support brexit is taking that stupidity to another level - much as blaming an opposition party for not using government money for investment is.

If certain voters in Hartlepool chose to vote Tory then that is their choice - but if they choose to lie about the reasons or what has happened then I will choose to call them stupid.

And if their voting is done on the basis of what I have said on this forum, rather than looking at a wider picture then even you will accept they are stupid.
Another by-election coming up on 12:05 - May 10 with 653 viewsyorkshireblue

Given the national spotlight the Hartlepool result has got, I expect all parties will be fighting hard.

What will Labour do in this strong Leave area?
- select a local candidate, they have a number of long standing councillors for example?
- select a ‘rising star’ who may not have any connection to the local area?
- Bring in someone like Ed Balls - previously MP for neighbouring Outwood & Morley and lives locally?

What will the Tories do? Google suggests that the previous candidates in the seat have had no connection to the area and have been parachuted in. Certainly in my nearby West Yorkshire constituency this is very common… but with such a high profile race I’m not sure this is the best approach for them, personally.

I have seen a National newspaper say that there is a similar demographic to Hartlepool, which is utter twaddle.
Login to get fewer ads

Another by-election coming up on 12:09 - May 10 with 643 viewstractordownsouth

Another by-election coming up on 12:05 - May 10 by yorkshireblue

Given the national spotlight the Hartlepool result has got, I expect all parties will be fighting hard.

What will Labour do in this strong Leave area?
- select a local candidate, they have a number of long standing councillors for example?
- select a ‘rising star’ who may not have any connection to the local area?
- Bring in someone like Ed Balls - previously MP for neighbouring Outwood & Morley and lives locally?

What will the Tories do? Google suggests that the previous candidates in the seat have had no connection to the area and have been parachuted in. Certainly in my nearby West Yorkshire constituency this is very common… but with such a high profile race I’m not sure this is the best approach for them, personally.

I have seen a National newspaper say that there is a similar demographic to Hartlepool, which is utter twaddle.

More middle class that Hartleppol isn't it? I think it should be a local candidate (although Paul Williams was that candidate and was picked by Hartlepool CLP) but if not then Caroline Flint would be a good pick. She was a popular figure across the party and wanted to back a soft Brexit - if she loses at least then we'll know if the "remainer in a leave constituency" actually has any impact.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Another by-election coming up on 13:18 - May 10 with 581 viewsyorkshireblue

Another by-election coming up on 12:09 - May 10 by tractordownsouth

More middle class that Hartleppol isn't it? I think it should be a local candidate (although Paul Williams was that candidate and was picked by Hartlepool CLP) but if not then Caroline Flint would be a good pick. She was a popular figure across the party and wanted to back a soft Brexit - if she loses at least then we'll know if the "remainer in a leave constituency" actually has any impact.

Yes. Although since living in Yorkshire, I'm yet to meet anyone from West or South Yorkshire who would describe themselves other than working class and be offended if you suggested otherwise... no matter the size of their trust fund! or school they went to!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024