Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Bristol. 08:38 - Jun 4 with 1570 viewsnoggin

This is how statues of slave traders should be displayed.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-57350650

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Well done Bristol. on 09:10 - Jun 4 with 1454 viewsEwan_Oozami

I don't get this modern art at all.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Well done Bristol. on 09:13 - Jun 4 with 1419 viewsnoggin

Well done Bristol. on 09:10 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

I don't get this modern art at all.....

The red paint should be on his hands, surely?

Well done Bristol. on 09:29 - Jun 4 with 1356 viewsEwan_Oozami

Well done Bristol. on 09:13 - Jun 4 by noggin

The red paint should be on his hands, surely?

In my view the artist brings the viewer face to face with their own preconceived hierarchy of cultural values and assumptions of artistic and empirical worth - the work imaginatively propels its viewer forward into the seemingly infinite progression of possible histories, whilst simultaneously pulling them backwards in a quest for the 'original' source of wealth of empire. The red and blue colours on the work represent the triumph of the Union Flag but the white is missing, and the statue is lying down rather than in the traditional upright position, this represents the deaths and suffering of those enslaved.

(In case anyone thinks that is the real blurb and gets all anti-wokery and culture-warriored...........I just made it up as a satire on art puffery)
[Post edited 4 Jun 2021 9:35]

Well done Bristol. on 09:34 - Jun 4 with 1327 viewsnoggin

Well done Bristol. on 09:29 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

In my view the artist brings the viewer face to face with their own preconceived hierarchy of cultural values and assumptions of artistic and empirical worth - the work imaginatively propels its viewer forward into the seemingly infinite progression of possible histories, whilst simultaneously pulling them backwards in a quest for the 'original' source of wealth of empire. The red and blue colours on the work represent the triumph of the Union Flag but the white is missing, and the statue is lying down rather than in the traditional upright position, this represents the deaths and suffering of those enslaved.

(In case anyone thinks that is the real blurb and gets all anti-wokery and culture-warriored...........I just made it up as a satire on art puffery)

Plitikal corektnus gon maad.

Well done Bristol. on 09:52 - Jun 4 with 1253 viewsfactual_blue

borls

rewl bre tanya

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Well done Bristol. on 09:56 - Jun 4 with 1240 viewseireblue

Well done Bristol. on 09:29 - Jun 4 by Ewan_Oozami

By claiming that his discourse is in satire, what Ewan has forced us to do is look deeper into the message and what lies within ourselves.
Ewan has thoughtfully forced us to compare what we took from the message initially and then consider how we view it when it is finally revealed as satire. It is telling that Ewan notes, but skips, commentary on the missing white paint, initially we feel there is some significance, then, when confronted with the claim this is merely satire, we ignore it. But white is often used as a colour to denote a road to peace in many flags, is Ewan cleverly revealing to ourselves that as humans we often skip over looking for that path to peace and too quickly we jump to identify with red or blue, and embrace the comfort of a polarised position.

Crikey, this sh1t really does just write itself, anyone know how to submit stories to magazines for cash?
Well done Bristol. on 10:32 - Jun 4 with 1167 viewsEwan_Oozami

Well done Bristol. on 09:56 - Jun 4 by eireblue

By claiming that his discourse is in satire, what Ewan has forced us to do is look deeper into the message and what lies within ourselves.
Ewan has thoughtfully forced us to compare what we took from the message initially and then consider how we view it when it is finally revealed as satire. It is telling that Ewan notes, but skips, commentary on the missing white paint, initially we feel there is some significance, then, when confronted with the claim this is merely satire, we ignore it. But white is often used as a colour to denote a road to peace in many flags, is Ewan cleverly revealing to ourselves that as humans we often skip over looking for that path to peace and too quickly we jump to identify with red or blue, and embrace the comfort of a polarised position.

Crikey, this sh1t really does just write itself, anyone know how to submit stories to magazines for cash?

You've summed it up perfectly there....

Well done Bristol. on 10:38 - Jun 4 with 1131 viewsHerbivore

Why are they erazing are hisstory?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Well done Bristol. on 10:40 - Jun 4 with 1118 viewsEwan_Oozami

Well done Bristol. on 10:38 - Jun 4 by Herbivore

Why are they erazing are hisstory?

Not so much erased as Hoxtonifed...

Well done Bristol. on 10:44 - Jun 4 with 1109 viewslowhouseblue

seems entirely appropriate as does the consultation with residents about what they want in the longer term. what ever they decide, i hope there'll be something on its original site to explain, the full history and the reason why it has gone elsewhere. it's that full history that matters rather than some artistically inconsequential lump of metal.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Well done Bristol. on 10:50 - Jun 4 with 1092 viewsnoggin

Well done Bristol. on 10:44 - Jun 4 by lowhouseblue

seems entirely appropriate as does the consultation with residents about what they want in the longer term. what ever they decide, i hope there'll be something on its original site to explain, the full history and the reason why it has gone elsewhere. it's that full history that matters rather than some artistically inconsequential lump of metal.

The only worry would be that the Little Englanders of Bristol swamp the questionnaire with "Poot It bAck uPP!"
[Post edited 4 Jun 2021 10:53]

Well done Bristol. on 11:09 - Jun 4 with 1034 viewslowhouseblue

Well done Bristol. on 10:50 - Jun 4 by noggin

The only worry would be that the Little Englanders of Bristol swamp the questionnaire with "Poot It bAck uPP!"

consultation, elections, referendums, democracy all involve other people i'm afraid.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Well done Bristol. on 11:17 - Jun 4 with 1013 viewseireblue

Well done Bristol. on 10:50 - Jun 4 by noggin

I think maybe some sort of timeshare arrangement should be considered.

The people that like the statute have had it displayed for about 125 years.

Let's give the choice on what should be in that space for the next 125 years to a group with another preference.

Sharing is caring.
Well done Bristol. on 11:20 - Jun 4 with 998 viewsnoggin

Well done Bristol. on 11:09 - Jun 4 by lowhouseblue

consultation, elections, referendums, democracy all involve other people i'm afraid.

To be honest it would be worth it for the bantz of seeing it ripped down again, wouldn't it? Proper democracy.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2021 11:20]

Well done Bristol. on 15:11 - Jun 4 with 809 viewsRadlett_blue

Well done Bristol. on 11:09 - Jun 4 by lowhouseblue

And such solutions as "Boaty McBoatface".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Well done Bristol. on 15:36 - Jun 4 with 764 viewsHerbivore

Well done Bristol. on 15:11 - Jun 4 by Radlett_blue

And such solutions as "Boaty McBoatface".

Outrageous really that we accepted the result of a public vote on a national act of self-harm like Brexit, but happily overruled the public voting to give a boat a funny name. We really need to sort our priorities out.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Well done Bristol. on 15:42 - Jun 4 with 747 viewsdominiciawful

Well done Bristol. on 09:52 - Jun 4 by factual_blue

borls

rewl bre tanya

Poor Tanya.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024