Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German 09:46 - Jul 2 with 1929 viewsSouperJim

Including the referee.

I'd like to think they are professional people who would not be swayed by their national team having been knocked out by us in the previous round. However, you do have to question whether this is a conflict of interest.

Compare to club football, where officials have to declare any club loyalty and are then not allowed to officiate a game featuring their own club or one of their known rivals...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:50 - Jul 2 with 1898 viewsJakeITFC

Well we had a Dutch referee for the game v Germany, who probably consider themselves bigger rivals with each other.
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:54 - Jul 2 with 1875 viewsclive_baker

The standard of refereeing thus far has been excellent, lets hope that continues tomorrow night. I'm sure we don't have to worry about bias. Not to mention the fact the England & Germany rivalry is more of an English phenomenon anyway, the Germans consider Italy & Netherlands as greater rivals than us. I'm not sure the fact we knocked them out isn't going to sway anything.

From our perspective we need to keep our heads and play our game. Not give the referees a chance to get cards out or give decisions, but that's always the case regardless of the ref.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2021 9:54]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:54 - Jul 2 with 1867 viewsEastTownBlue

But surely we have improved their chances of officiating in the final ?
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:56 - Jul 2 with 1856 viewsjayessess

Absolutely no reason to imagine officials from any country wouldn't officiate the game to the best of their ability.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:03 - Jul 2 with 1822 viewsSouperJim

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:56 - Jul 2 by jayessess

Absolutely no reason to imagine officials from any country wouldn't officiate the game to the best of their ability.

I suspect you are right, but just to play devil's advocate, if Liverpool knock out Chelsea in the fifth round of the FA cup, would it be ok for a Chelsea fan to referee Liverpool's game in the quarter finals?

I genuinely don't know, but do the FA not have rules against this kind of thing, to avoid controversy?

[Redacted] on 10:07 - Jul 2 with 1785 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:08 - Jul 2 with 1764 viewsjayessess

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:03 - Jul 2 by SouperJim

I suspect you are right, but just to play devil's advocate, if Liverpool knock out Chelsea in the fifth round of the FA cup, would it be ok for a Chelsea fan to referee Liverpool's game in the quarter finals?

I genuinely don't know, but do the FA not have rules against this kind of thing, to avoid controversy?

I mean, yes, of course it would be fine, why wouldn't it be?
Referees are professionals with careers to defend, they aren't going to potentially blow all that up because they're upset a team they like lost a football match.

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:11 - Jul 2 with 1737 viewsJackSted

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 09:56 - Jul 2 by jayessess

Idk man the 2002 World Cup springs to mind

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Login to get fewer ads

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:22 - Jul 2 with 1671 viewsjayessess

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:11 - Jul 2 by JackSted

Idk man the 2002 World Cup springs to mind

Not sure quite why an Ecuadorian official's inept performance in a game between Italy and Korea is particularly relevant here?

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:44 - Jul 2 with 1573 viewsSouperJim

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:08 - Jul 2 by jayessess

I mean, yes, of course it would be fine, why wouldn't it be?
Referees are professionals with careers to defend, they aren't going to potentially blow all that up because they're upset a team they like lost a football match.

I think the concern would be unintentional bias, rather than a deliberate attempt to sabotage.

Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 10:51 - Jul 2 with 1530 viewseireblue

Is that the referee that likes to attend games to get a feel for how the players conduct themselves, apparently he likes to make it a family day out and brings his young daughter…..
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 11:00 - Jul 2 with 1470 viewsSharkey

I doubt Germany’s losing would concern them. On the other hand, hearing their national anthem booed might rankle a bit.
Several of the officials for England vs Ukraine are German on 11:24 - Jul 2 with 1309 viewsalial

This is a little silly in my opinion. The pinnacle for referees / officials at the / any Tournament is officiating the Final. The Germans are out, them being 'bias' towards Ukraine would only damage 1) their reputation and 2) end their own Tournament.

They probably don't care we knocked them out ... they will want to officiate the Final and not going to jeopardise their careers over a relatively insignificant thing when they are in their 'own' Tournament.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024