Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon 21:53 - Aug 28 with 1086 viewstractorshark

I hope those who thought a season in League One would be good for us now appreciate how far this club has fallen.
I readily accept the team is still gelling but it’s embarrassing seeing this side scared stiff of very average opposition.
Sheff Utd spent six years in this division, the last 2 and a bit seasons haven’t exactly provided us with any evidence to suggest we won’t do the same.
You can make excuses or dress it up how you like but today we didn’t play particularly well (maybe for 20 or so minutes) and there are definite question marks over some of the signings and the manager himself.
My rational side says keep faith with Cook and, to be fair, the substitutions were mainly forced upon him today (although why Dobra is going out on loan to accommodate Aluko is beyond me).
But when you’ve been an Ipswich fan for 40 years, witnessed the highs and endured plenty of lows, it sticks in the throat to see us petrified of the sort of opposition we’ve played this month.
And to think I used to believe the John Duncan era was our lowest point.
Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:07 - Aug 28 with 1027 viewsRyorry

"Scared stiff"? Really? What made you think that was the case?

"Very average opposition" - seems a bit disrespectful to me, they clearly matched us, stats were

Possession
Home50% Away50%

Shots
Home11Away11

Shots on Target
Home5Away4

Corners
Home4Away6

Fouls
Home7Away12

(From BBC Sport)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:15 - Aug 28 with 988 viewspointofblue

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:07 - Aug 28 by Ryorry

"Very average opposition" - seems a bit disrespectful to me, they clearly matched us, stats were

Possession
Home50% Away50%

Shots
Home11Away11

Shots on Target
Home5Away4

Corners
Home4Away6

Fouls
Home7Away12

(From BBC Sport)

Yes, they matched us. Whether we should have allowed them to match us is another debate altogether.

I don't think nwe were necessarily scared stiff of them but we were scared still of the situation we found ourselves in - to an extent at 0-0 late in the first half and most certainly at 2-1.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:23 - Aug 28 with 968 viewstractorshark

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:07 - Aug 28 by Ryorry

Possession
Home50% Away50%

Shots
Home11Away11

Shots on Target
Home5Away4

Corners
Home4Away6

Fouls
Home7Away12

(From BBC Sport)

Once they scored their first, our players were scared of taking responsibility and guilty of muddled thinking.
Lost possession countless times, wayward passing and panic every time a cross or set-piece came into the box.
The equaliser had an inevitability about it. It was the same at Cheltenham.
You have to stand up and be counted in those situations.
As for disrespect and the stats, the fact they matched us is even more damning.
These 3 teams won’t be at the top of League One come the end of the season.
If you gauge our level on matching up with the likes of Morecambe, Cheltenham and AFC Wimbledon, then we have very differing views of where Ipswich should be.
Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:25 - Aug 28 with 959 viewsjayessess

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:15 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

Yes, they matched us. Whether we should have allowed them to match us is another debate altogether.

I don't think nwe were necessarily scared stiff of them but we were scared still of the situation we found ourselves in - to an extent at 0-0 late in the first half and most certainly at 2-1.

We retreated at 2-1, resorted to time wasting and long clearances, rather than trying to push forward for a 3rd, which certainly betrayed a bit of fear.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:30 - Aug 28 with 937 viewspointofblue

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 22:25 - Aug 28 by jayessess

We retreated at 2-1, resorted to time wasting and long clearances, rather than trying to push forward for a 3rd, which certainly betrayed a bit of fear.

The bizarre thing is I think we were pushing for a third but, oddly, thought the long ball was the answer. Probably because the right was ripped apart by the subs and left was hurt by Coulson, who had a fantastic game, being subbed and we had absolutley no one of any use in the middle of the park.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 23:12 - Aug 28 with 872 viewsHighgateBlue

We may well not manage to spend six years in this division if we keep on defending as we have been...
Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 23:17 - Aug 28 with 854 viewstimothyeo

Possession
Home50% Away50%

Shots
Home11Away11

Shots on Target
Home5Away4

Corners
Home4Away6

Fouls
Home7Away12

(From BBC Sport)

That they matched us is the biggest concern. Cook has been an unmitigated failure so far, delivering worse than Lambert.
Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 10:17 - Aug 29 with 633 viewstractorshark

Scared of Morecambe, Cheltenham and now AFC Wimbledon on 23:17 - Aug 28 by timothyeo

That they matched us is the biggest concern. Cook has been an unmitigated failure so far, delivering worse than Lambert.

It's probably a little harsh on Cook but the stats don't lie. 4 wins in 22 is shocking. If that was his record from August, he wouldn't be in a job.
I think a lot of fans are giving him a free ride based on last season's car crash. But you have to remember we were a point off the playoffs when he arrived.
I never agreed with him slagging off the players in public, even if I did agree with the sentiment.
The squad did need an overhaul but that was the hand he was dealt for the remainder of that season and his job was to man-manage and motivate it as best he could. Telling people they have no future at the club was not the way to go.
When McCarthy arrived, the squad was all over the shop but he got the best out of them and we stayed up against all odds.
Cook just wrote off the season. Now that's coming back to haunt him because the pressure is on from the off.
I genuinely hope he does succeed and this is just a gelling period. The last thing the club needs is another transitional period while a new manager comes in - and my head says Cook has the nous and track record to turn this around.
But the fixtures have been kind to us in August and we've done sod all. September is a lot harder and the goodwill will drain from the fans very quickly if results do not improve.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024