Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Train Station Aggro. 19:52 - Sep 6 with 2908 viewsPaoloMarinero

Full of optimism for this season, I've decided to travel from the South West to take my 9 year old son to a handful of games at Portman Rd (plus a few away days hopefully). We'd travel by train, but I recently read on here about the aggro at the train station following the match with Wimbledon. For anyone who takes the train, was this a one-off, or does this happen regularly? The whole thing has given me pause because A) I obviously don't want to get mixed up in it and B) I don't particularly want my son to witness people fighting each other. We'd be getting the 17.41 to Liverpool St.

Perhaps naively, prior to reading about Wimbledon, it hadn't even crossed my mind that it could be a problem.

Train Station Aggro. on 20:07 - Sep 6 with 2782 viewsPendejo

You'd probably be alright on the 17:41 and arriving at station 17:30

I was in 17:41 and there was lots of space anchor aware of any problem.

The problem was some extremely hobby and seemingly "up for it" individuals and the busiest train. There will always be the risk, I guess. But don't allow it to worry you, use your spider senses to keep away from any boisterous throngs of knob ends.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Train Station Aggro. on 21:00 - Sep 6 with 2568 viewsPaoloMarinero

Train Station Aggro. on 20:07 - Sep 6 by Pendejo

You'd probably be alright on the 17:41 and arriving at station 17:30

I was in 17:41 and there was lots of space anchor aware of any problem.

The problem was some extremely hobby and seemingly "up for it" individuals and the busiest train. There will always be the risk, I guess. But don't allow it to worry you, use your spider senses to keep away from any boisterous throngs of knob ends.

Good to know the 17.41 is better. I wouldn't be so worried if I was on my own, as you say, it should be easy enough to avoid it, but don't really want to introduce my boy to that side of football.
Train Station Aggro. on 21:09 - Sep 6 with 2531 viewsSteve_M

It’s vey unusual and wasn’t more than a handful of idiots very much looking for a reaction. I understand your concerns but think it will be ok. Even last Saturday, we sat at the back of the platform observing from a good distance. Once the earlier train (17:18?) was out of the way it was quiet.

Two other things to note, the 17:09 should be running from 18 September and that is easy enough to make from PR, that’s goes from Platform 3 whilst there is another train on Platform 2. But there is engineering work starting again (bus Colchester to Ingatestone I think) which will just be tedious.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Train Station Aggro. on 21:20 - Sep 6 with 2457 viewsPaoloMarinero

Train Station Aggro. on 21:09 - Sep 6 by Steve_M

It’s vey unusual and wasn’t more than a handful of idiots very much looking for a reaction. I understand your concerns but think it will be ok. Even last Saturday, we sat at the back of the platform observing from a good distance. Once the earlier train (17:18?) was out of the way it was quiet.

Two other things to note, the 17:09 should be running from 18 September and that is easy enough to make from PR, that’s goes from Platform 3 whilst there is another train on Platform 2. But there is engineering work starting again (bus Colchester to Ingatestone I think) which will just be tedious.

Thanks for the info, that's reassuring. I've noted the replacement bus service which adds an hour to the travel time, which makes it a non-starter. It looks like it's back to normal later in Oct, so we'll make our debut train trip around then. I've earmarked Cambridge away as the first one though, provided I can get tickets.
Train Station Aggro. on 21:39 - Sep 6 with 2375 viewsHARRY10

As far as I have seen, it was a one off - which might have been why it was covered, being such a rare event.

I wouldn't let that put you off, your lad will hear 'robust' language and any number of fans getting extremely angry and threatening all manner of 'things' at players and refs.

Kids are quite resilient, and there is just as much risk of witnessing trouble at Liverpool Street as at our station. So my thought would be that he will gain far more than ever he might 'lose' were such incidents to happen.

I don't advocate you put him or anyone else in direct danger, but there is an element of risk just sat on a train. Much as in a car (crash), bus (terrorist attack) or tube where there is a fair chance of pe'ed up fans being a nuisance with you having nowhere to go.

As said, the time with his father, and the experience of being at a live football match, far outweigh any concerns about witnessing trouble.
Train Station Aggro. on 00:03 - Sep 7 with 2122 viewsBluefish

There might be very rare exceptions but generally trouble finds people looking for it. I go to a lot of games from afar so generally mix with the locals at away games. In the days under Mick when we were good enough to visit carrot Road I would go there and travel hole by car. For my last visit teenage son was clearly in colours and fro. Memory I was decked out in a scarf. We got outside to lots of trouble with police and fencing dividing fans. As usual I asked the police if we could walk around the segregation back to the cat and they agreed, 5 yards later we were stopped by some friendly nodge fans to warn me if I walked down the one way home segregation route that we would be risking our safety. To he fair they had a point of sorts but I smiled and carried on , we went the whole way round to a few words but nothing else. Just act sensibly and the majority are good people from both sides

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Train Station Aggro. on 10:20 - Sep 7 with 1609 viewsDJR

The 17.41 (when running properly) and not showing your colours, and you should be fine. Having followed Ipswich throughout the 70s, when hooliganism was at its worse, I have not then or since worn or shown my colours at away games when outside the ground, or on public transport on which there are opposition fans. Admittedly things are much better now, but I take the view that it only takes one idiot.
Train Station Aggro. on 10:33 - Sep 7 with 1558 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Train Station Aggro. on 21:20 - Sep 6 by PaoloMarinero

Thanks for the info, that's reassuring. I've noted the replacement bus service which adds an hour to the travel time, which makes it a non-starter. It looks like it's back to normal later in Oct, so we'll make our debut train trip around then. I've earmarked Cambridge away as the first one though, provided I can get tickets.

Cambridge away is likely to be very interesting and not something I would be happy taking my 7yr old too, although I am hard has nails and can swing haymakers if the need arises ;)

The walk down Newmarket Rd towards the town for more beers or station if you are not local culminates in a trip down the subway and away from prying eyes which is where I recall it getting heated last time I went.
Login to get fewer ads

Train Station Aggro. on 10:51 - Sep 7 with 1485 viewsSteve_M

Train Station Aggro. on 21:20 - Sep 6 by PaoloMarinero

Colchester to Ingatestone on a bus isn't too bad, better than the slow crawl into Newbury Park on a coach to still be a long tube journey away from central London, now that is tedious.

Actually if the 17:09 is running, it probably adds about 10 minutes to the journey back versus your original thinking with the 17:41 so it might not be too bad.

Cambridge is likely to be dickhead central from both sets of fans, might not be an ideal early match for your son.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Train Station Aggro. on 10:52 - Sep 7 with 1479 viewsNthQldITFC

Train Station Aggro. on 10:33 - Sep 7 by BlueBlueBluex2

Cambridge away is likely to be very interesting and not something I would be happy taking my 7yr old too, although I am hard has nails and can swing haymakers if the need arises ;)

The walk down Newmarket Rd towards the town for more beers or station if you are not local culminates in a trip down the subway and away from prying eyes which is where I recall it getting heated last time I went.

Herewith, a swinging haymaker...

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Train Station Aggro. on 20:07 - Sep 7 with 1057 viewsPaoloMarinero

Train Station Aggro. on 10:51 - Sep 7 by Steve_M

Colchester to Ingatestone on a bus isn't too bad, better than the slow crawl into Newbury Park on a coach to still be a long tube journey away from central London, now that is tedious.

Actually if the 17:09 is running, it probably adds about 10 minutes to the journey back versus your original thinking with the 17:41 so it might not be too bad.

Cambridge is likely to be dickhead central from both sets of fans, might not be an ideal early match for your son.

Looks like I'll be rethinking Cambridge away then....

Being very much a lover not a fighter type (code for wuss, ha!), I'd genuinely forgotten that you need to consider this sort of thing nowadays.
Train Station Aggro. on 21:25 - Sep 7 with 954 viewsgainsboroughblue

Train Station Aggro. on 10:51 - Sep 7 by Steve_M

If its anything like the last league fixtures between Ipswich and Cambridge, it's potentially one to avoid.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024