Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
from the horse's mouth: 21:50 - Nov 8 with 1739 views_sanctimoanious_

"It's about having the discipline to stick with the plan. We'll put in the resources and be patient. We feel a tonne of conviction this will be a success."

Lovely.
from the horse's mouth: on 22:08 - Nov 8 with 1600 viewsDarth_Koont

That’s all very serious, professional and experienced.

But where does that leave my knee-jerk amateur opinion? FFS.

Pronouns: He/Him

from the horse's mouth: on 22:10 - Nov 8 with 1580 viewsVic

But we MUST go up this season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

from the horse's mouth: on 22:15 - Nov 8 with 1495 viewsDarth_Koont

from the horse's mouth: on 22:10 - Nov 8 by Vic

But we MUST go up this season.

I think a few too many people have overshot on that goal.

For me, anyone taking over ITFC whose “plan” relies on instant promotion, rather than continuous and sustainable build over 3-4 years, isn’t serious about an English football league club anyway.

It’s all about establishing and sustaining momentum and a trajectory.

from the horse's mouth: on 22:18 - Nov 8 with 1466 viewsCoastalblue

from the horse's mouth: on 22:15 - Nov 8 by Darth_Koont

For me, anyone taking over ITFC whose “plan” relies on instant promotion, rather than continuous and sustainable build over 3-4 years, isn’t serious about an English football league club anyway.

But the argument, as far as I'm aware has never been about we must go up this season, not that I've seen anyway, on here it's been about how far short Cook could fall of that goal and get another go at it. A valid question, especially early in the season, and we're not out of the woods yet.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

from the horse's mouth: on 22:36 - Nov 8 with 1344 viewsbackwaywhen

They have a current fund of £15 billion and last year returned a profit of 3.5 £billion plenty of time and resources to do this properly.
Remember we have a divine right to p!ss the league on 00:08 - Nov 9 with 1185 viewsunstableblue

from the horse's mouth: on 22:08 - Nov 8 by Darth_Koont

That’s all very serious, professional and experienced.

But where does that leave my knee-jerk amateur opinion? FFS.

But in all seriousness it did strike me that as long as there is incremental progress - yes with set backs on the way - they’ll give Cook two seasons for promotion.

As long as there isn’t a string of losses and we’re not troubling the play-offs that is.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

from the horse's mouth: on 07:55 - Nov 9 with 923 viewsArnieM

Absolutely 100% nailed it with that ^^^^^^ 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

from the horse's mouth: on 08:17 - Nov 9 with 838 viewsOldboy

Fair enough, he ain't the greatest of looking blokes, but a horse?
Our new owner flew over especially to speak to Town fans and you insult him. A bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.
Login to get fewer ads

from the horse's mouth: on 08:33 - Nov 9 with 775 viewspennblue

from the horse's mouth: on 22:18 - Nov 8 by Coastalblue

But the argument, as far as I'm aware has never been about we must go up this season, not that I've seen anyway, on here it's been about how far short Cook could fall of that goal and get another go at it. A valid question, especially early in the season, and we're not out of the woods yet.

I think on here it has been "if we are not HMS p*ssing the League by October then we need to change the manager".

But it is a good question, and there even be a set of metrics they are using to determine what 'success' is this season. Certainly the football is much more entertaining.

For me, we have to be in the play offs, to ask for automatic promotion in the 1st proper season is a tough ask. Still think we should try to achieve that of course.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2021 8:35]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

from the horse's mouth: on 08:36 - Nov 9 with 752 viewspennblue

We have strong evidence to support this view too - Leicester City, Brighton, West Ham, Bournemouth.

Sustaining that success is another question entirely of course.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

from the horse's mouth: on 08:48 - Nov 9 with 711 viewsChurchman

Yes, I agree - it’s all about sustaining momentum and trajectory over time. However, getting out of this pitiful league sooner rather than later has to be a key part of that momentum. I wouldn’t put it quite as strongly as Vic because come what may, the club will grow and climb if the owners carry on being true to their words.

However I think promotion or something close to it this season is an absolute must for Cook. It was his decision to approach the team rebuild in the way he did and he’s been backed to do the job. No hiding place. He has to get us out of this division or come close to it this season in my opinion.

I think he might well do it. The team is improving. I doubt the Wycombe result would have been possible in September.
from the horse's mouth: on 09:25 - Nov 9 with 610 viewsDavoIPB

from the horse's mouth: on 08:48 - Nov 9 by Churchman

Yes, I agree - it’s all about sustaining momentum and trajectory over time. However, getting out of this pitiful league sooner rather than later has to be a key part of that momentum. I wouldn’t put it quite as strongly as Vic because come what may, the club will grow and climb if the owners carry on being true to their words.

However I think promotion or something close to it this season is an absolute must for Cook. It was his decision to approach the team rebuild in the way he did and he’s been backed to do the job. No hiding place. He has to get us out of this division or come close to it this season in my opinion.

I think he might well do it. The team is improving. I doubt the Wycombe result would have been possible in September.

Promotion this year never was success or failure to the owners or the manager. Ashton spelt that out at the beginning of the season and said it would take a couple of transfer windows to get the recruitment team in place. People on here haven't listened to any of the talk coming out of the club. Can see Paul Cook being given another year or two to get us into the championship.

Promotion is obviously the goal for a club like Ipswich in league 1 but think it would be a 2 or 3 years of trying under the current management before it could be called a failure.
from the horse's mouth: on 09:42 - Nov 9 with 564 viewsDarth_Koont

from the horse's mouth: on 22:18 - Nov 8 by Coastalblue

No there’s been quite a lot of that. People were calling the season and Cook a failure after the first 6 games.

The poor start was a big disappointment and I expect there’ll be the feeling of a missed opportunity if we can’t close the gap on the automatic positions and then fail in the play-offs. But if we’re utimately building towards the PL and even staying there then that’s not going to be 3 consecutive seasons anyway – certainly can’t be the plan.

But if we see it over a longer period then the key is a strengthening side and better results against better opposition over time. With a promotion or two happening along the way.

So it’s more a process of continuous improvement than pure outcomes. So far, I think Cook and the team are delivering on that and we’re building momentum and confidence. It may be slower than people want but it seems steadier.

from the horse's mouth: on 09:57 - Nov 9 with 506 viewsGuthrum

from the horse's mouth: on 09:42 - Nov 9 by Darth_Koont

No there’s been quite a lot of that. People were calling the season and Cook a failure after the first 6 games.

The poor start was a big disappointment and I expect there’ll be the feeling of a missed opportunity if we can’t close the gap on the automatic positions and then fail in the play-offs. But if we’re utimately building towards the PL and even staying there then that’s not going to be 3 consecutive seasons anyway – certainly can’t be the plan.

But if we see it over a longer period then the key is a strengthening side and better results against better opposition over time. With a promotion or two happening along the way.

So it’s more a process of continuous improvement than pure outcomes. So far, I think Cook and the team are delivering on that and we’re building momentum and confidence. It may be slower than people want but it seems steadier.

For me, there's two slightly different things at play.

With the quality of manager and the squad assembled, it would be a failure if we didn't achieve promotion this season. We ought to be aiming for top two, at very minimum the playoff finals.

On the other hand, it's not a strategic disaster if we don't succeed. There is the backing to continue building and have another shot next year.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024