Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... 15:39 - Nov 16 with 577 viewsElderGrizzly

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 16:40 - Nov 16 with 466 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is that his real account or a parody one? Really hard to tell the difference these days.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:06 - Nov 16 with 431 viewsfactual_blue

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 16:40 - Nov 16 by Swansea_Blue

Is that his real account or a parody one? Really hard to tell the difference these days.

A boris parody account would involve serious, thoughtful and intellectually robust postings.

A complete opposite, in other words, of the real one.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:10 - Nov 16 with 423 viewsfooters

The Tories under 'boris' are so confused they may as well commit to the Labour manifesto and save themselves so many U-turn blushes.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:11 - Nov 16 with 409 viewsfactual_blue

How many of his MPs will back this?

(I can hazard a guess...)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:17 - Nov 16 with 392 viewsElderGrizzly

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:11 - Nov 16 by factual_blue

How many of his MPs will back this?

(I can hazard a guess...)

"Paid political consultants" has a lot of wriggle room to it.

A good question for a journalist to ask would be "how many MPs current jobs would be affected by this new ruling?"

I bet you can count the number on one hand or being generous a Norwich hand.
Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:26 - Nov 16 with 373 viewsDanTheMan

Whilst I think this is a step in the right direction (however small) I prefer the policy that Labour have set out on this.

Speaking to reporters, Sir Keir Starmer said his party would ban all second jobs, apart from "public service" roles or professions requiring registration.

Seems way less ambiguous.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 17:26]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:32 - Nov 16 with 358 viewsfooters

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:26 - Nov 16 by DanTheMan

Whilst I think this is a step in the right direction (however small) I prefer the policy that Labour have set out on this.

Speaking to reporters, Sir Keir Starmer said his party would ban all second jobs, apart from "public service" roles or professions requiring registration.

Seems way less ambiguous.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 17:26]

Agreed. If you sit on the board of charity, for example, that's much different to being a paid consultant for a private firm.

The system should only seek out people who want to represent their constituents' best interests, even if the pay is 'only' a paltry £82k per year (with subsidised rent, food, drink etc natch).

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:49 - Nov 16 with 322 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:10 - Nov 16 by footers

The Tories under 'boris' are so confused they may as well commit to the Labour manifesto and save themselves so many U-turn blushes.

I'd assumed it was deliberate tactic to play to their base initially (or just see what they can get away with) and then more quietly revert to what was sensible (being that the u-turns don't normally attract any attention in their compliant press). I could be completely wrong on that, but I don't see how they could genuinely read the room so badly on so many things.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 18:19 - Nov 16 with 267 viewsjontysnut

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:32 - Nov 16 by footers

Agreed. If you sit on the board of charity, for example, that's much different to being a paid consultant for a private firm.

The system should only seek out people who want to represent their constituents' best interests, even if the pay is 'only' a paltry £82k per year (with subsidised rent, food, drink etc natch).

MPs who say they can't manage on 82k should be introduced to those MPs who say people on benefits should learn how to budget, eat porridge etc.
Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 19:07 - Nov 16 with 236 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lobbying U-Turn Klaxon... on 17:32 - Nov 16 by footers

I am not certain. There are a lot of different charities with interests and that pay board members/consultants.

I would prefer an outright ban.

Maybe the registered professionals one holds some water. I think there should be a stipulation on hours spent to ensure that MPs are treating the position with the correct priority.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024