Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman Road, 1937 22:42 - Jan 1 with 2157 viewsdominiciawful

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Portman Road, 1937 on 23:15 - Jan 1 with 2010 viewsEdmundo

Got any other pictures of the ground, such as when it was also used as a cricket ground and the old East stand?

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Portman Road, 1937 on 00:00 - Jan 2 with 1925 viewsRocky

The surprising thing for me is the huge gap between the marked end of the playing pitch and what would become the North Stand? Why is there such an empty space?
Also of course a reminder of how far we came in such a short time. In 1937 probably about 60 or 70 teams were getting crowds of 20 to 30,000. Yet we were still on about 8,000 in 1937.

24 years later we were the League Champions
Portman Road, 1937 on 01:18 - Jan 2 with 1838 viewsIllinoisblue

If you zoom in closely you can see Factual with his scarf, rattle and big rosette.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Portman Road, 1937 on 01:20 - Jan 2 with 1845 viewsburnbudgiesburn

'Time' is a crazy beast...

Less of a gap between that photo above and our FA Cup win than there is between our FA Cup win and now.
Portman Road, 1937 on 08:25 - Jan 2 with 1562 viewsoldburian

Portman Road, 1937 on 01:18 - Jan 2 by Illinoisblue

If you zoom in closely you can see Factual with his scarf, rattle and big rosette.

No, that is probably me!
That was how the ground looked when I first went down. I remember the long gap at the North end between pitch and stand. I think it was due to the pitch length being more than adequate and footballs going out of the ground. It would have been easier to retrieve the ball from the Churchmans end rather than the North end. Footballs were expensive and rarely replaced in a match, so if it went out you waited for someone to get it back.
Those were the days, nothing wasted.
Portman Road, 1937 on 08:40 - Jan 2 with 1524 viewsstringy

over 8000 against Margate, not bad!
Portman Road, 1937 on 09:44 - Jan 2 with 1356 viewsNthQldITFC

Portman Road, 1937 on 01:20 - Jan 2 by burnbudgiesburn

Less of a gap between that photo above and our FA Cup win than there is between our FA Cup win and now.

Those are the sorts of thoughts I have all the time. It's tantalising isn't it? Sometimes if I go to certain places where I was significantly present in the past, I feel so close to being able to shift into that time again. Not that I was around in those days, but old photos like this of places I've 'loved' can move me so deeply, in a way that suggests to me that there might be a bit more to existence than the sort of shallow, linear lives we are kind of forced into now.

Silly old sod.

Also, did they mark out the pitch with a two foot wide roller in those days, or is the clarity of the white lines just an artefact of the photo exposure, or has it been enhanced, post development?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Portman Road, 1937 on 10:36 - Jan 2 with 1268 viewsPendejo

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Portman Road, 1937 on 10:37 - Jan 2 with 1265 viewsDyland

Portman Road, 1937 on 09:44 - Jan 2 by NthQldITFC

Those are the sorts of thoughts I have all the time. It's tantalising isn't it? Sometimes if I go to certain places where I was significantly present in the past, I feel so close to being able to shift into that time again. Not that I was around in those days, but old photos like this of places I've 'loved' can move me so deeply, in a way that suggests to me that there might be a bit more to existence than the sort of shallow, linear lives we are kind of forced into now.

Silly old sod.

Also, did they mark out the pitch with a two foot wide roller in those days, or is the clarity of the white lines just an artefact of the photo exposure, or has it been enhanced, post development?

bloody old hippy :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Portman Road, 1937 on 13:21 - Jan 2 with 1101 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Portman Road, 1937 on 09:44 - Jan 2 by NthQldITFC

Silly old sod.

Ha, I am similar.

Remember the old 5, 10 & 20 years ago pieces in the matchday programme in the 80's? To me as a kid these seemed ancient times, but the 20 years section would today be filled with Burleys Premier League teams activities!
Portman Road, 1937 on 13:29 - Jan 2 with 1079 viewsIllinoisblue

Portman Road, 1937 on 08:25 - Jan 2 by oldburian

No, that is probably me!
That was how the ground looked when I first went down. I remember the long gap at the North end between pitch and stand. I think it was due to the pitch length being more than adequate and footballs going out of the ground. It would have been easier to retrieve the ball from the Churchmans end rather than the North end. Footballs were expensive and rarely replaced in a match, so if it went out you waited for someone to get it back.
Those were the days, nothing wasted.

Superb memories. Oh the sights you’ve seen over the years.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Portman Road, 1937 on 14:17 - Jan 2 with 989 viewsVic

That’s just scary and a salutary reminder of just how far ago our glory days were. But like when I was a teenager (1970’s) thinking that Burnley, Preston and Blackpools success was in the dark ages and that they were just little has been sand no bodies. I guess that’s what people th8nk of us now.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Portman Road, 1937 on 14:36 - Jan 2 with 954 viewshoppy

Portman Road, 1937 on 01:18 - Jan 2 by Illinoisblue

Had he taken his grandchildren down there for a trip out?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Portman Road, 1937 on 14:44 - Jan 2 with 935 viewsChurchman

The image on the right appears in the 1980s book The Men Who Made The Town. It was season 1936/37 and behind Churchmans is a big clock that’s on a pylon. It was there for only one season.

The East Stand (the Chicken Run) was put up in 1907. My dad has told me before the war the west side was originally banked with railway sleepers. The concrete terrace was laid in the early 1950s. Whether that’s true, I’ve no idea. I’ll have to have a read of that book and the early 1970s Ken Rice book I have.

The chicken run was still there when I first went and the Cattle Market opposite still had the railings etc. I love the old photos. They trigger a lot of memories, however inaccurately!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024