Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven 11:17 - Mar 2 with 988 viewswhymark4lazio0

Top rated players by members of this site (figures in brackets = league goals scored):-

1. Walton 6.68
2. Burns 6.45 (l9)
3. Edmundson 6.42 (2)
4. Morsy 6.23
5. Donacien 6.23
6. Celina 6.07 (5)
7. Aluko 6.04 (3)
8. Woolfenden 5.94
9. Chaplin 5.79 (7)
10. Bonne 5.72 (12)
11. Bakinson 5.69 (1)
12. Thomson 5.68
13. Burgess 5.62
14. Evans 5.58 (3)

Must say I'm impressed by the judgement of TWTD members. Only quibble is Woolfenden- I think he should be higher but his form has certainly improved under the new manager so over the whole season the rating is probably reasonable.

Using those ratings (with only one tweak to reflect Thomson is newcomer and his form is improving), the first eleven is:-

Walton

Burns-Donacien-Woolfenden-Edmundson-Thomson

Morsy-Aluko

Chaplin-Bonne-Celina

The only controversial selection:- Aluko in central midfield. I think we should give him a go in that position, he's got the energy and skill needed. In addition, he's more attack minded than Evans or Bakinson and our problem recently has been scoring not conceding. Compromise might be to play Aluko when we expect opponents to sit back and Evans or Bakinson against teams that are more attack minded.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 11:19 - Mar 2 with 957 viewswhymark4lazio0

Obvs should be Burns 9 league goals

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 12:26 - Mar 2 with 871 viewstractorshark

I wouldn’t put any stock in the TWTD ratings.

People just pick their favourites and mark down their scapegoats.

And for some reason goalkeepers are always top. See Bart, who admittedly was brilliant for most of his time here but then tailed off in the season before Hurst even arrived.

Walton has been very good but he’s not been our best player this season. I’d put Morsy, Burns and Edmundsson above him.

Likewise Evans has been inconsistent but is much better than his average score here.

The true test of any footballer’s worth is do you miss them when they’re not there. We’ve missed Evans in the past few weeks, it’s just people used him as the stick to beat Cook with earlier in the season and the tag has stuck.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 12:38]
Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 13:26 - Mar 2 with 814 viewsRadlett_blue

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 12:26 - Mar 2 by tractorshark

And for some reason goalkeepers are always top. See Bart, who admittedly was brilliant for most of his time here but then tailed off in the season before Hurst even arrived.

Walton has been very good but he’s not been our best player this season. I’d put Morsy, Burns and Edmundsson above him.

Likewise Evans has been inconsistent but is much better than his average score here.

The true test of any footballer’s worth is do you miss them when they’re not there. We’ve missed Evans in the past few weeks, it’s just people used him as the stick to beat Cook with earlier in the season and the tag has stuck.

Indeed, goalkeepers always punch above their weight in ratings, not being marked down like all the outfield players after an embarrassing loss unless they throw in a goal (most pro keepers rarely do). I think Bart was still top of the ratings even in his horrendous 2018-19 season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 13:38 - Mar 2 with 792 viewsmonty_radio

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 12:26 - Mar 2 by tractorshark

Donacien??

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 13:51 - Mar 2 with 749 viewsDarth_Koont

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 13:38 - Mar 2 by monty_radio

Donacien??

Indeed. Along with Walton, Donacien must be our most consistently good player. Ridiculously solid and quietly effective as a defender and he’s come on leaps and bounds as an important complement to the attack and getting Burns involved.

Add in the fact that he’s stuck it out at Town through difficult times, seen off a massive turnover of players to stake and retain his place and seems to be a very nice guy too.

He’d get my vote as things stand.

Pronouns: He/Him

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 14:11 - Mar 2 with 708 viewswhymark4lazio0

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 13:51 - Mar 2 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. Along with Walton, Donacien must be our most consistently good player. Ridiculously solid and quietly effective as a defender and he’s come on leaps and bounds as an important complement to the attack and getting Burns involved.

Add in the fact that he’s stuck it out at Town through difficult times, seen off a massive turnover of players to stake and retain his place and seems to be a very nice guy too.

He’d get my vote as things stand.

The improvement in Donacien and Woolfenden is remarkable. Like getting 2 top quality players for nothing. The defence as a whole looks good enough to grace a mid-table championship side. Thomson is not the finished article (especially going forward) but is getting better as he gains first team experience.

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 14:16 - Mar 2 with 687 viewsGlasgowBlue

Evans being bottom shows how little people understand football.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 15:04 - Mar 2 with 652 viewstractorshark

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 14:16 - Mar 2 by GlasgowBlue

Evans being bottom shows how little people understand football.

It was the same with Skuse but that’s an old conversation.

Those who rightly highlight Donacien, I wouldn’t grumble if he was voted player of the year.
I don’t think he’s been our best player overall but I do think he has been a key player for us this year.
Login to get fewer ads

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 16:46 - Mar 2 with 593 viewsBlueBadger

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 15:04 - Mar 2 by tractorshark

It was the same with Skuse but that’s an old conversation.

Those who rightly highlight Donacien, I wouldn’t grumble if he was voted player of the year.
I don’t think he’s been our best player overall but I do think he has been a key player for us this year.

Certainly our most improved player.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 16:47 - Mar 2 with 589 viewstractorshark

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 16:46 - Mar 2 by BlueBadger

Certainly our most improved player.

Would agree on that
Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 16:50 - Mar 2 with 585 viewsRadlett_blue

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 14:11 - Mar 2 by whymark4lazio0

The improvement in Donacien and Woolfenden is remarkable. Like getting 2 top quality players for nothing. The defence as a whole looks good enough to grace a mid-table championship side. Thomson is not the finished article (especially going forward) but is getting better as he gains first team experience.

Yet another example of how poor Town's 2 previous managers (the third one is a given) were at setting up a team & getting the best out of the players.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 17:33 - Mar 2 with 526 viewstractorshark

Player Ratings to Select our Best Eleven on 16:50 - Mar 2 by Radlett_blue

Yet another example of how poor Town's 2 previous managers (the third one is a given) were at setting up a team & getting the best out of the players.

Agree. Cook’s whole philosophy here was centred on poaching rather than coaching.

I never rated Cook from the start mainly because my Pompey friends thought he was a fraud. But I couldn’t argue with his CV and I freely admit I thought it was a mistake sacking him when we did.

But thank heavens we did. McKenna is clearly a massive upgrade and his tactical acumen has been what this club has been lacking for years.

With some careful recruitment in the summer we can start making upward progress.

Finally I think we have turned the corner.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024