Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad Clarification 11:09 - Jul 16 with 1918 viewsTomTheWriter

Feel like this is something that I should probably put out there. I watched a lot of L1 football least season for the opposition previews that I did, and I can confirm that Marcus Harness has not been signed to be the left wing-back or even as the 'back up' to Wes Burns. That's not his game.

The squad itself is looking really strong, with probably 2 areas of the squad left to improve, but realistically we'd need to see Penney leave before we grab another left wing-back. With Pigott now out, a striker should be the next focus.

GK: Walton and Hladky. CW is a freak, and Hladky is a great back-up.

CB: Woolfenden, Edmundson, Donacien, Ndaba, Burgess. Again, excellent. Ndaba should be the 4th choice, with Burgess maybe struggling to breach the bench despite 9 subs.

RWB: Burns & KVY. The former is incredible, and I'm desperate for KVY to stay fit this season.

LWB: Leigh & Penney. Really happy with Leigh, can see Penney going and us maybe going for a young loan over Davis.

CM: Morsy, Ball, Evans, Harper, Idris, Humphreys. First three , hopefully CH gets a L2 loan. Harper vs Idris a good battle in pre-season.

CAM: Chaplin, Harness, Aluko, Edwards. So strong once again. 1 playmaker, 2 excellent finishers, 1 blistering dribbler. Don't think we need to add another.

ST: Ladapo, Jackson, John-Jules. Feels like one short. Like how all three are so dominant with their pace. Adds another dimension having quick players. Still would like to see one more who wants ball to feet and then run forward with it (Hirst)

Let me know if you disagree with anything?

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Squad Clarification on 11:15 - Jul 16 with 1847 viewsBondiBlue

I've said on a couple of other threads i don't see any of those 4 AMs as a playmaker, but perhaps my definition of playmaker is a bit outdated. Playmaker for me is someone who just loves to pass the ball, and doesn't want to do anything else. Aluko is the closest but it always looks to me like his first thought is to dribble.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Squad Clarification on 11:15 - Jul 16 with 1843 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'd agree with 99.99999999% of that except for sending Humphreys on loan. I think he is an exception to the rules and could make the step up to the first team squad and play an active role.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Squad Clarification on 12:54 - Jul 16 with 1665 viewsN2_Blue

Superb summary and pretty much spot on in my opinion.

Completely agree one striker is the missing piece. Surely with the Downes windfall and great ticket sales we can bring in someone with a bit of quality through the door.

It's the only missing thing i think from this squad but could potentially be the most crucial in us trying to break through into that top 2. We do need an out and out goalscorer, penalty box predator type of striker as we have creativity and pace all over the pitch but i wouldn't say anyone that is ruthlessly clinical.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Squad Clarification on 13:02 - Jul 16 with 1622 viewsVeggie

Hladky isn’t really a great backup. He’s been pretty terrible when he has played for us and clearly sees himself as a number one. We shouldn’t have played hardball with Aberdeen to try and squeeze a bit more money out of them when they were interested in him.
Squad Clarification on 18:02 - Jul 16 with 1399 viewsFrimleyBlue

Squad Clarification on 11:15 - Jul 16 by BondiBlue

I've said on a couple of other threads i don't see any of those 4 AMs as a playmaker, but perhaps my definition of playmaker is a bit outdated. Playmaker for me is someone who just loves to pass the ball, and doesn't want to do anything else. Aluko is the closest but it always looks to me like his first thought is to dribble.

For me the players behind the striker needs to understand roaming and switching positions with others. Getting in the box at the right time and provide support to the lone striker when pressing high.

We saw with Fraser that passing a ball is great but his lack of any form of pace hurt his time with town.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Squad Clarification on 18:16 - Jul 16 with 1359 viewsSheffordBlue

I think Idris playing at CB means realistically he won't be here for the season - either on a loan but if the right deal came in for the player I'd let him move on.

In Phli's latest article on the Harness signing he says we're still after Celina, Hirst and Davis.

Think Cam Humphrey's will be here until January at least - maybe a second half loan if we don't stay in the cups

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Squad Clarification on 07:47 - Jul 17 with 1112 viewsPioneerBlue

I wouldn’t want CH to go on loan this season, he’s very young and will have opportunities around our first team in first half of season.

I’ve not seen Ndarba, I’m not ready to pin colours to mast that he is L1 ready back up in LCD, that might be Burgess or Leigh this season.

LWB is such high intensity, Leigh, Penny + 1 isn’t out of question for me which would explain the Davis link.

I would like a striker, George Hirst would be ideal in our situ.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2022 8:19]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Couple of points…. on 08:03 - Jul 17 with 1045 viewsBloots

….Idris has been playing right back, in a back 4 so far this pre season.

Not sure where that sees him fitting in going forward. I suspect he may be loaned out.

JJ hasn’t been playing as a CF, he’s been dropping into a 10 position or wider in a 3 behind the lone forward.

I have very grave concerns about the number of goals that are likely to come from our main attackers, but I will save that for another thread.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Couple of points…. on 11:01 - Jul 17 with 870 viewsTomTheWriter

Couple of points…. on 08:03 - Jul 17 by Bloots

….Idris has been playing right back, in a back 4 so far this pre season.

Not sure where that sees him fitting in going forward. I suspect he may be loaned out.

JJ hasn’t been playing as a CF, he’s been dropping into a 10 position or wider in a 3 behind the lone forward.

I have very grave concerns about the number of goals that are likely to come from our main attackers, but I will save that for another thread.

I'd say we are currently looking at about 60 goals between Burns, Ladapo, Harness, Jackson, John-Jules and Chaplin for this season, in my opinion. If you consider the last 3 games, we've been a lot more shot-heavy than usual. didn't see Wimbledon but sounded like a dominant performance that could have been 5/6-0. Against Palace, with a weaker side, we had around 12-15 shots in total, about 5 or 6 on target. For West Ham, we had about 10 alone in the second half.

Not to mention Morsy looking hungry for more goals. Aluko already has a few in pre-season.

Realistically, the goals for the attackers isn't an issue. It's the lack of goals from our defenders that turns us from a play-off chasing side to a promoted team. You add - say - 10 goals from our 5 centre backs next season, that's probably the difference between 6th and 2nd.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024