Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
90% of schools going bust 08:54 - Oct 23 with 1588 viewsMullet

The headline might be dismissed as overly dramatic, but I doubt it's far off. Even 9% would be absolutely criminal.

However, the public neds to grasp that these "5% pay rises" are both unfunded - meaning schools have to pay from existing pots of money they don't have and there have been several education ministers and a PM or so too.

They're actually a pay cut as unions have accepted freezes for 12 years resulting in teachers losing tens of thousands in wages and pension contributions, let alone funding not keeping pace.

During covid millions were thrown around e.g. Oak Academy but I think the scale of the problems building for a decade or more are going to hit hard and fast. All of our budgets have been cut this academic year and staff haven't been replaced and we are meant to be one of the best backed.

I suspect us teachers are going to be held up as victims of militant unions and greedy in the coming weeks, especially if schools do collapse financially. When the NAHT are taking this stance you know things are bad.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

90% of schools going bust on 09:50 - Oct 23 with 1482 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's what the markets and the likes of the IMF would want. by BanksterDebtSlave 22 Oct 2022 22:34
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/oct/22/exclusive-90-of-uk-schools-will-go-bust-next-year-heads-warn

"This comes as Jeremy Hunt has made clear that all departments, including education, will be expected to make cuts as part of the government’s debt reduction plan, to be announced on 31 October."

Posted the same but with a twist!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

90% of schools going bust on 10:19 - Oct 23 with 1451 viewsGuthrum

There is also a burgeoning staff retention problem in schools. Many of the teachers I know, even if not planning to leave imminently and/or off work with stress-related illnesses, are looking for other careers in the medium-to-longer term. Overburdening with admin, lack of support, exam league table pressure and lack of investment are the usually cited reasons.

My father was a teacher for over 40 years, right up to his death and would have been appalled at what government policies have done to education in the last couple of decades.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

90% of schools going bust on 10:22 - Oct 23 with 1441 viewsMullet

90% of schools going bust on 09:50 - Oct 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's what the markets and the likes of the IMF would want. by BanksterDebtSlave 22 Oct 2022 22:34
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/oct/22/exclusive-90-of-uk-schools-will-go-bust-next-year-heads-warn

"This comes as Jeremy Hunt has made clear that all departments, including education, will be expected to make cuts as part of the government’s debt reduction plan, to be announced on 31 October."

Posted the same but with a twist!

That seems to have gone off piste

90% of schools going bust on 10:25 - Oct 23 with 1434 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

90% of schools going bust on 10:22 - Oct 23 by Mullet

That seems to have gone off piste

That'll be the twist!

90% of schools going bust on 10:28 - Oct 23 with 1428 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

90% of schools going bust on 10:19 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

There is also a burgeoning staff retention problem in schools. Many of the teachers I know, even if not planning to leave imminently and/or off work with stress-related illnesses, are looking for other careers in the medium-to-longer term. Overburdening with admin, lack of support, exam league table pressure and lack of investment are the usually cited reasons.

My father was a teacher for over 40 years, right up to his death and would have been appalled at what government policies have done to education in the last couple of decades.

The value of work is certainly not reflected in wages! In fact the inverse is nearer the case.

90% of schools going bust on 10:29 - Oct 23 with 1427 viewsMullet

Realistically, I've probably got ten years in me at most, less if things get worse. I've just hit half term and am now ill again, trying to run a department with my boss off and up to a third of staff off on any given day for the last two weeks has been harder than ever. The stress and sleepless nights have done me in.

Plus Zahawi announced a white paper demanding longer school days which was acted upon despite him being in post for what a week? Little things like that impact for a whole year and will likely stay.

90% of schools going bust on 20:57 - Oct 23 with 1186 viewsfactual_blue

90% of schools going bust on 10:29 - Oct 23 by Mullet

Realistically, I've probably got ten years in me at most, less if things get worse. I've just hit half term and am now ill again, trying to run a department with my boss off and up to a third of staff off on any given day for the last two weeks has been harder than ever. The stress and sleepless nights have done me in.

Plus Zahawi announced a white paper demanding longer school days which was acted upon despite him being in post for what a week? Little things like that impact for a whole year and will likely stay.

Until I opened this, I wondered what words were going to follow 'I've just hit...'

I was torn between 'the bottle', 'fifty', and 'a small child'.

You're doing a sterling job.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

90% of schools going bust on 21:04 - Oct 23 with 1172 viewsMullet

90% of schools going bust on 20:57 - Oct 23 by factual_blue

Until I opened this, I wondered what words were going to follow 'I've just hit...'

I was torn between 'the bottle', 'fifty', and 'a small child'.

You're doing a sterling job.

I'm 37!

Login to get fewer ads

90% of schools going bust on 21:34 - Oct 23 with 1140 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The key thing in there is the unfunded below-inflation pay rises. The only way schools will manage is by cutting staff. There are already problems getting supply staff which is increasing ill heath, making recruitment and retention worse and exacerbating the vicious circle. I know teachers now working second jobs to pay the way.

It is the best career there is, but it is simply unsustainable. Which is all why there is the upcoming strike action.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

90% of schools going bust on 23:56 - Oct 23 with 1052 viewsfactual_blue

90% of schools going bust on 21:04 - Oct 23 by Mullet

I'm 37!

I suspect you feel as though you're fifty though.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

90% of schools going bust on 00:17 - Oct 24 with 1034 viewsChurchman

Mrs C ended teaching years long before she might have done precisely because of the ridiculous admin, Ofsted requirements, inspections, league tables, curriculums, lack of support, stress of dealing with awful situations which only teachers will be aware of. She was a good teacher and it was the profession’s loss. I don’t know how anyone does the job. I certainly couldn’t. Big respect.

There was a time when teaching was actually a highly respected occupation in this country. Not now. Given children are the future of any society, I can only assume the last 12 years of wanton, unnecessary neglect is deliberate policy.
90% of schools going bust on 00:37 - Oct 24 with 1018 viewsXYZ

90% of schools going bust on 00:17 - Oct 24 by Churchman

Mrs C ended teaching years long before she might have done precisely because of the ridiculous admin, Ofsted requirements, inspections, league tables, curriculums, lack of support, stress of dealing with awful situations which only teachers will be aware of. She was a good teacher and it was the profession’s loss. I don’t know how anyone does the job. I certainly couldn’t. Big respect.

There was a time when teaching was actually a highly respected occupation in this country. Not now. Given children are the future of any society, I can only assume the last 12 years of wanton, unnecessary neglect is deliberate policy.

The tory message since 2010 is that the UK's children don't matter.

Borrowing to fix education and the NHS should be seen as investment in the country's infrastructure.

That includes rebasing salaries to 2010 levels and a complete revision of the whole Ofsted process.
90% of schools going bust on 12:20 - Oct 24 with 890 viewsslaughteredskipper

I’m an exec head of two schools and it’s not so much the 5% rise for teachers (or budgeted for 4%) but the support staff pay rise which was completely out of the blue and totally unfounded. Support staff absolutely do deserve a raise where currently they are totally undervalued but to not have it funded will lead to inevitable redundancies and the standard of education compromised. Put the energy rise on top of this which also is a significant rise and school budgets are unmanageable and will inevitably lead to deficit situations. Need the government to act so I can start sleeping again!
90% of schools going bust on 12:40 - Oct 24 with 852 viewsNthsuffolkblue

90% of schools going bust on 00:37 - Oct 24 by XYZ

The tory message since 2010 is that the UK's children don't matter.

Borrowing to fix education and the NHS should be seen as investment in the country's infrastructure.

That includes rebasing salaries to 2010 levels and a complete revision of the whole Ofsted process.

You missed out needing Marcus Rashford to shame them into providing free school meals and to care at all about child poverty.

90% of schools going bust on 13:09 - Oct 24 with 801 viewsPlums

90% of schools going bust on 00:17 - Oct 24 by Churchman

Mrs Plums was exactly the same. Dedicated, professional, loved the kids but ultimately modern teaching isn't a profession I'd wish on my worst enemy.

It's not as though the drive by Gove et al has improved the standard of education. My kids have gone to good schools, my son had fabulous A-level results but it's all about the test. Their rounded education has come from home.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

90% of schools going bust on 13:43 - Oct 24 with 767 viewsNthsuffolkblue

90% of schools going bust on 13:09 - Oct 24 by Plums

Mrs Plums was exactly the same. Dedicated, professional, loved the kids but ultimately modern teaching isn't a profession I'd wish on my worst enemy.

It's not as though the drive by Gove et al has improved the standard of education. My kids have gone to good schools, my son had fabulous A-level results but it's all about the test. Their rounded education has come from home.

Schools do try to provide a rounded education, but it is despite the system rather than thanks to it. Gove specifically (deliberately) took the system back in time and there were others before that who worked at making it an academic-only pursuit.

90% of schools going bust on 15:23 - Oct 24 with 711 viewsMullet

90% of schools going bust on 12:20 - Oct 24 by slaughteredskipper

I’m an exec head of two schools and it’s not so much the 5% rise for teachers (or budgeted for 4%) but the support staff pay rise which was completely out of the blue and totally unfounded. Support staff absolutely do deserve a raise where currently they are totally undervalued but to not have it funded will lead to inevitable redundancies and the standard of education compromised. Put the energy rise on top of this which also is a significant rise and school budgets are unmanageable and will inevitably lead to deficit situations. Need the government to act so I can start sleeping again!

You're right and I feel for you and my HT immensely on those things. We have a serial offender for leaving lights, boards etc all running when they leave and despite our Geography department going full Greta at them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024