Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anti-growth coalition in full force 17:32 - Dec 5 with 956 viewstractordownsouth

Michael Gove has scrapped housing targets after backbench pressure. Labour indicated they would vote with the government, yet Sunak and Gove still blocked it.

It's so depressing to be a young person in this country at the moment. It feels like we're constantly the fall guys to meet the needs of wealthy, selfish NIMBYs. Whether it's housing, railways or energy sources, nothing gets through and when it does it's not without tonnes of protests from people 'voicing their concerns' - usually about the impact on the value of their home which has already doubled in value relative to average income. Tory MPs in commuter belt seats are more than happy to play along, just to prevent Labour voters moving into their constituencies.

I have no idea how it would work but there needs to be some sort of NIMBY tax, maybe in the form of council tax increases. Want to block development and stop people having a place to live, just to suit your own needs? Fine, but you can make up for the lost revenue yourself. Failure to build anything of note has been the main cause of our lack of growth, as more and more wealth is sucked out of the economy and into housing. It's about time we started to disincentivise the status quo.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:43 - Dec 5 with 913 viewslowhouseblue

what you say is true. but in terms of sustainability we should be looking at much higher density urban development. car free living, with networked heating and cooling, close to work and all facilities has to be the model for a bigger % of the population. reinforcing the commuter / drive to the super store model is very unsustainable.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:45 - Dec 5 with 912 viewstractordownsouth

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:43 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

what you say is true. but in terms of sustainability we should be looking at much higher density urban development. car free living, with networked heating and cooling, close to work and all facilities has to be the model for a bigger % of the population. reinforcing the commuter / drive to the super store model is very unsustainable.

I’m all for high-density urban living too; unfortunately that’s getting blocked too.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:58 - Dec 5 with 846 viewslowhouseblue

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:45 - Dec 5 by tractordownsouth

I’m all for high-density urban living too; unfortunately that’s getting blocked too.

it's got to be high quality and it has to come with the facilities to make it work socially as well as economically. but to me that has to be part of future development. manhatten is high density and works for many. it also responds the intergenerational issue since city centres are probably where younger demographics would choose to live.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 18:01 - Dec 5 with 841 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:45 - Dec 5 by tractordownsouth

Peckham is no more, it's all Nunhead now.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 18:16 - Dec 5 with 786 viewsfactual_blue

Let's simply follow Henry VIII's example and appropriate the assets of the Very Wealthy.

After all, so many (quite wrongly IMHO) view him as A Great King.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 18:38 - Dec 5 with 750 viewsHARRY10

There was a time when things actually worked. No queues at the car park paying machine. You just a coin in and, job done

You could get a dentist, see a doctor and expect to have things delivered properly. Not dumped in the bin, under a hedge or left in the front garden

For all the advancements in technology life has become more complicated and more unobtainable for many.

Some years back I spoke to a teacher who had 'done the right thing' and was now looking at retiring (60). It took me a while to get it through to him that it is much much harder, even then. He whined about how much of him/wifes income went on the mortgage at the time of purchase.

A secondary school teacher a few years out of training college and he could buy a 3 bed house. Try that now. I am not sure what their combined pensions are, or whether he did downsize to take around £80,000 by 'downsizing'.

That has not happened by some magic, but through an enforced shortage of housing that dumps his gain, as debt on those under 30.

Worth a read if you have time.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/dec/03/why-inheritance-is-the-dirty-secre
Anti-growth coalition in full force on 18:57 - Dec 5 with 726 viewsmylittletown

Anti-growth coalition in full force on 17:58 - Dec 5 by lowhouseblue

it's got to be high quality and it has to come with the facilities to make it work socially as well as economically. but to me that has to be part of future development. manhatten is high density and works for many. it also responds the intergenerational issue since city centres are probably where younger demographics would choose to live.

Also you don't have to have serious high rise buildings to have high density housing. 6 or 8 story buildings are cheaper to build, cheaper to manage and can create good high density apartments without being so intrusive.

https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1445930/housing-schemes-achieving-hig
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024