Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan 15:27 - Dec 23 with 2205 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 15:42 - Dec 23 with 2152 viewsMullet

He speaks well and makes some very insightful points about the media bias.

The data backs him up too and gives us a very weird look at the moral hierarchy of jobs at the moment too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 15:55 - Dec 23 with 2111 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 15:42 - Dec 23 by Mullet

He speaks well and makes some very insightful points about the media bias.

The data backs him up too and gives us a very weird look at the moral hierarchy of jobs at the moment too.

Wow, the teachers are less well supported over our recent strike action and we haven't even started it yet! I suppose it is going to inconvenience more people than those that are better supported. Perhaps the message hasn't been as clearly communicated too.

In case the message is unclear to anyone else reading (I know Mullet is aware). There is both a staffing and a funding crisis in schools. We cannot even get sufficient supply teachers to cover staff absence which is putting increased pressure on staff, increasing illness and reducing retention. The below-inflation pay rise we have received is entirely unfunded and having to come out of already-stretched budgets. School buildings are crumbling.

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 11:56 - Dec 24 with 1753 viewsDJR

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 15:55 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wow, the teachers are less well supported over our recent strike action and we haven't even started it yet! I suppose it is going to inconvenience more people than those that are better supported. Perhaps the message hasn't been as clearly communicated too.

In case the message is unclear to anyone else reading (I know Mullet is aware). There is both a staffing and a funding crisis in schools. We cannot even get sufficient supply teachers to cover staff absence which is putting increased pressure on staff, increasing illness and reducing retention. The below-inflation pay rise we have received is entirely unfunded and having to come out of already-stretched budgets. School buildings are crumbling.

My daughter is currently training to be a primary school teacher, and is becoming aware just how precarious things are. It really is a tragedy that we treat teachers this way, given that she could easily earn much more doing many other things involving much less effort and skill.
Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:00 - Dec 24 with 1742 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 11:56 - Dec 24 by DJR

My daughter is currently training to be a primary school teacher, and is becoming aware just how precarious things are. It really is a tragedy that we treat teachers this way, given that she could easily earn much more doing many other things involving much less effort and skill.

Probably a great time to be entering the profession, as the only way is up now it’s looking like the Tories are done (although that could change of course).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:10 - Dec 24 with 1728 viewsTractorWood

Could see him being tough to negotiate with. If you're a member, you definitely have confidence in him.

He is articulate and unflappable.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:37 - Dec 24 with 1680 viewsChrisd

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 11:56 - Dec 24 by DJR

It’s certainly a tough profession which has steadily got worse over the years with so much expectation and pressure placed on teachers to meet targets. It isn’t for everybody and I’d suggest to your daughter to think carefully about what she really wants from her working life. I tried going back into it, but quickly realised that environment just isn’t for me anymore, time to move away from teaching and try something completely new.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:59 - Dec 24 with 1642 viewsDJR

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:37 - Dec 24 by Chrisd

It’s certainly a tough profession which has steadily got worse over the years with so much expectation and pressure placed on teachers to meet targets. It isn’t for everybody and I’d suggest to your daughter to think carefully about what she really wants from her working life. I tried going back into it, but quickly realised that environment just isn’t for me anymore, time to move away from teaching and try something completely new.

It's drummed into them at what used to be teacher training college that it's tough, and she's had a couple of placements at failing schools which were really only wanting to use her as a glorified teaching assistant, so she does have doubts. But I think she is going to give it a go.
Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:25 - Dec 24 with 1592 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:00 - Dec 24 by Swansea_Blue

Probably a great time to be entering the profession, as the only way is up now it’s looking like the Tories are done (although that could change of course).

Not if the Labour Party are going to be simply Tory-lite, though.

The big need is a proper investment in public services all round and given how far behind they have all fallen that is massive. Well done your daughter. It is a great profession and does have its perks as well as the massive problems and pressures.

Login to get fewer ads

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:30 - Dec 24 with 1587 viewsChrisd

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:59 - Dec 24 by DJR

It's drummed into them at what used to be teacher training college that it's tough, and she's had a couple of placements at failing schools which were really only wanting to use her as a glorified teaching assistant, so she does have doubts. But I think she is going to give it a go.

Good luck to your daughter DJR at least then she can say she has given it a real go and not all schools and leadership teams are the same. Don’t get me wrong, even though it has changed a lot to when I first started in 2001, it certainly has its moments when it is very rewarding. I take my hat off to those teachers still doing it or those going into it, I certainly respect them for the job they are asked to do now. It most definitely isn’t an easy option regardless of those that believe they work from 9 am to 3pm and have all those holidays. The reality is quite different.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:41 - Dec 24 with 1546 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:37 - Dec 24 by Chrisd

Well done for trying to go back and for realising it wasn't right. I hope what you have gone into works well for you.

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:44 - Dec 24 with 1526 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 12:59 - Dec 24 by DJR

They should not have given her two tough schools. Most training providers recognise the need to give the variety of experience so trainees can appreciate what type of school suits them. She should also get experience of teaching and not simply be given assistant roles. Hopefully through the rest of the course she gains that experience.

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:57 - Dec 24 with 1483 viewsDJR

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:30 - Dec 24 by Chrisd

Good luck to your daughter DJR at least then she can say she has given it a real go and not all schools and leadership teams are the same. Don’t get me wrong, even though it has changed a lot to when I first started in 2001, it certainly has its moments when it is very rewarding. I take my hat off to those teachers still doing it or those going into it, I certainly respect them for the job they are asked to do now. It most definitely isn’t an easy option regardless of those that believe they work from 9 am to 3pm and have all those holidays. The reality is quite different.

Many thanks, Chrisd. Yes, my daughter has found that the planning etc takes an awfully long time, let alone things like marking, school reports etc.
Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 14:00 - Dec 24 with 1466 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:57 - Dec 24 by DJR

Many thanks, Chrisd. Yes, my daughter has found that the planning etc takes an awfully long time, let alone things like marking, school reports etc.

The training year and the first year (although it is now a 2-year ECT instead of 1-year NQT) are the busiest it has ever been and you do find ways of managing things more efficiently as you gain experience. Also establishing a reputation helps.

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 14:05 - Dec 24 with 1440 viewsDJR

Mick Lynch on Piers Morgan on 13:44 - Dec 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

They should not have given her two tough schools. Most training providers recognise the need to give the variety of experience so trainees can appreciate what type of school suits them. She should also get experience of teaching and not simply be given assistant roles. Hopefully through the rest of the course she gains that experience.

The issue I think at the moment is that some schools are so under pressure that they either aren't taking on trainees, or haven't got the time to focus on trainees. I think Covid is also to blame because a lot of children are not at the level they should be, so schools are reluctant to leave things to a trainee to handle the catch up. But hopefully things will improve for my daughter.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024