Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? 08:19 - Mar 7 with 1205 viewsSaleAway

FML...

this is "innovation"?

a QR code which:

- Mobile Twitter users can't scan
- Requires AdobeAero
- Breaks on Android
- Glitches on iOS

post edit... how long before someone retweets a fake version of this, that installs malware...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 8:20]

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:03 - Mar 7 with 1105 viewsDanTheMan

I couldn't be bothered to download an app to see it but thankfully someone else did the hard work for us.

So tinpot.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:13 - Mar 7 with 1063 viewsGuthrum

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:03 - Mar 7 by DanTheMan

I couldn't be bothered to download an app to see it but thankfully someone else did the hard work for us.

So tinpot.

10 PRINT "VOTE FOR ME!!!!"
20 GOTO 10

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:14 - Mar 7 with 1064 viewsDJR

Not sure how being a science superpower will benefit those in the north who voted for Brexit, assuming not many have science degrees.
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:16 - Mar 7 with 1056 viewsGuthrum

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:14 - Mar 7 by DJR

Not sure how being a science superpower will benefit those in the north who voted for Brexit, assuming not many have science degrees.

Or, indeed, how we're going to be a "Science Superpower" without international research co-operation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:52 - Mar 7 with 1007 viewseireblue

That is about the level of a losing team on the Apprentice, that results in a double firing.
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 10:17 - Mar 7 with 973 viewsJackNorthStand

This just shows how Rishi Sunak and his party are completely out of touch with the electorate. Not many of us have time for this nonsense.
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 10:23 - Mar 7 with 950 viewsMattinLondon

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:52 - Mar 7 by eireblue

That is about the level of a losing team on the Apprentice, that results in a double firing.

But, that losing team probably didn’t have that much IT knowledge and had only 24 hours to come up with something - such a ridiculous yet entertaining show.

Number 10 probably have been thinking this up for much longer.
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:04 - Mar 7 with 917 viewsSaleAway

Jesus wept... Manchester is an absolute tech hotspot in the UK right now.. Put the "thick northern" stereotypes away for a bit, eh?

Login to get fewer ads

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:13 - Mar 7 with 894 viewsgiant_stow

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 10:23 - Mar 7 by MattinLondon

But, that losing team probably didn’t have that much IT knowledge and had only 24 hours to come up with something - such a ridiculous yet entertaining show.

Number 10 probably have been thinking this up for much longer.

I'll admit to watching it still - this year's bunch are probably the worst ever. They're always useless, but usually nearly get the odd task done ok - not this time.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:15 - Mar 7 with 891 viewsDJR

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:04 - Mar 7 by SaleAway

Jesus wept... Manchester is an absolute tech hotspot in the UK right now.. Put the "thick northern" stereotypes away for a bit, eh?

It's got nothing to do with northern stereotypes. And I, for one, have never described anyone as thick for the way they have voted on anything.

In any event, Manchester voted 60% for remain, so is not the type of place my comments are aimed at.

Leeds is also a relatively thriving place (and like Manchester benefits from being a university city), but from personal experience of, and speaking to someone at the weekend who lived in, a couple of the small towns close to Leeds (which all voted pretty heavily for Brexit), it is clear to me that they have not really benefited from the growth of Leeds, or will be the sort of people who will benefit from this country being a science superpower, as opposed to being a manufacturing superpower, which we seem to have given up on and which can benefit such areas.

Interestingly, when it comes to places with a high percentage of people with no qualifications, Glasgow is right up there with places in England, but Glasgow voted 67% remain, so the level of education doesn't appear to be the determining factor in the Brexit vote that some might think. Something was clearly in play in England that wasn't the case in Scotland.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 11:38]
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:35 - Mar 7 with 805 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tell me you’re a metropolitan lefty who looks down onthe northern working class without telling me you’re a metropolitan lefty who looks down on the northern working class.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 11:36]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:51 - Mar 7 with 788 viewsDJR

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:35 - Mar 7 by GlasgowBlue

Tell me you’re a metropolitan lefty who looks down onthe northern working class without telling me you’re a metropolitan lefty who looks down on the northern working class.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 11:36]

I had put you on ignore, but came across your comment because I was not logged in at the time.

Your comment just goes to show that you never properly debate anything, and merely resort to or pray-in-ad smears, which is very childish.

It has been bliss this last week not seeing your negative comments, which never advance the debate, and I will make sure in future that I am always logged in so I never see them again.

You are all that is wrong with social media, something which apart from TWTD I don't engage in. And my experience of TWTD is that people aren't out to point score in the negative way that you are, and so I can have a reasoned debate even with people with diametrically opposed views.

And there's no point replying to this as I won't see it.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 12:13]
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 775 viewsJosebadleg

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 09:03 - Mar 7 by DanTheMan

So tinpot.

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 12:17 - Mar 7 with 747 viewsSaleAway

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:15 - Mar 7 by DJR

It's got nothing to do with northern stereotypes. And I, for one, have never described anyone as thick for the way they have voted on anything.

In any event, Manchester voted 60% for remain, so is not the type of place my comments are aimed at.

Leeds is also a relatively thriving place (and like Manchester benefits from being a university city), but from personal experience of, and speaking to someone at the weekend who lived in, a couple of the small towns close to Leeds (which all voted pretty heavily for Brexit), it is clear to me that they have not really benefited from the growth of Leeds, or will be the sort of people who will benefit from this country being a science superpower, as opposed to being a manufacturing superpower, which we seem to have given up on and which can benefit such areas.

Interestingly, when it comes to places with a high percentage of people with no qualifications, Glasgow is right up there with places in England, but Glasgow voted 67% remain, so the level of education doesn't appear to be the determining factor in the Brexit vote that some might think. Something was clearly in play in England that wasn't the case in Scotland.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 11:38]

Nothing to do with Northern stereotypes? You've just lumped, northern, voted brexit and "won't have science degrees" into the same post. If that's not stereoptyping, I don't know what is? What was the benefit of including "northern" in your post?

Interestingly of course, you now mention northern post-industrial towns. Not sure if you've been to Salts Mill, just outside Bradford.... which holds of course a David Hockney collection in an old, refurbished mill, as well as a good bookshop, and a nice cafe. You might not also be aware that it also holds the offices of Pace ( now part of Arris), makers of set top boxes, and great british technology success story. So perhaps, those pesky northerners with their science degrees do see some benefit from pushing britain as a science superpower, even in small, post-industrial towns.

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 12:36 - Mar 7 with 716 viewsDanTheMan

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 11:54 - Mar 7 by Josebadleg

I forgot how painful that scene was, in a brilliant way.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 13:30 - Mar 7 with 648 viewsDJR

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 12:17 - Mar 7 by SaleAway

Nothing to do with Northern stereotypes? You've just lumped, northern, voted brexit and "won't have science degrees" into the same post. If that's not stereoptyping, I don't know what is? What was the benefit of including "northern" in your post?

Interestingly of course, you now mention northern post-industrial towns. Not sure if you've been to Salts Mill, just outside Bradford.... which holds of course a David Hockney collection in an old, refurbished mill, as well as a good bookshop, and a nice cafe. You might not also be aware that it also holds the offices of Pace ( now part of Arris), makers of set top boxes, and great british technology success story. So perhaps, those pesky northerners with their science degrees do see some benefit from pushing britain as a science superpower, even in small, post-industrial towns.

The point about referring to the north is that that is where scars still remain from say the closure of the mines and factories, something which just didn't really occur further south. Indeed, living in the south during the 80s, it was clear to me that there were two nations, because the south was much less affected by unemployment and the like. And on all sorts of measures regions in the north come out worse than regions in the south east.

In the last 30 years or so, all major investment has occurred in London and the south east (the Olympics, Channel Tunnel, Eurostar, Elizabeth line, High Speed 1, Eurostar etc) but what real investment has the north got? Indeed, it doesn't look like it is going to change given that HS2 might end at Birmingham, and there appear to be no plans to improve cross-pennine rail links.

I heard recently that all growth in the UK since Brexit had been concentrated in London and the South East, led by financial services and life sciences and the like because that is where these sectors are concentrated.

So I was merely questioning whether areas in the north which voted Brexit will benefit in quite the same way as areas in south from the UK becoming a scientific superpower, and I think I was right to mention the north for this reason.

Another area which Sunak is keen to focus on for growth in financials services but once again this is an area which will disproportionally benefit the south.

Part of the problem it seems to me, and this seems to be coming home to roost, is that there is a mismatch between the architects of Brexit (non-domiciled newspaper owners and those who wanted the UK to become Singapore-on-Thames) and many of those who voted for Brexit.

And before anyone accuses me of of anti-northern or anti-northern working class bias, I would just add that my wife is from humble origins in Liverpool (which I visit often and love) and my parents were from similarly humble origins even further north than you (Scotland). Partly as a result of this my sympathies have since Mrs Thatcher been with those in the north in preference to those in the prosperous south east who can generally look after themselves.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 13:50]
Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 13:57 - Mar 7 with 582 viewsSaleAway

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 13:30 - Mar 7 by DJR

The point about referring to the north is that that is where scars still remain from say the closure of the mines and factories, something which just didn't really occur further south. Indeed, living in the south during the 80s, it was clear to me that there were two nations, because the south was much less affected by unemployment and the like. And on all sorts of measures regions in the north come out worse than regions in the south east.

In the last 30 years or so, all major investment has occurred in London and the south east (the Olympics, Channel Tunnel, Eurostar, Elizabeth line, High Speed 1, Eurostar etc) but what real investment has the north got? Indeed, it doesn't look like it is going to change given that HS2 might end at Birmingham, and there appear to be no plans to improve cross-pennine rail links.

I heard recently that all growth in the UK since Brexit had been concentrated in London and the South East, led by financial services and life sciences and the like because that is where these sectors are concentrated.

So I was merely questioning whether areas in the north which voted Brexit will benefit in quite the same way as areas in south from the UK becoming a scientific superpower, and I think I was right to mention the north for this reason.

Another area which Sunak is keen to focus on for growth in financials services but once again this is an area which will disproportionally benefit the south.

Part of the problem it seems to me, and this seems to be coming home to roost, is that there is a mismatch between the architects of Brexit (non-domiciled newspaper owners and those who wanted the UK to become Singapore-on-Thames) and many of those who voted for Brexit.

And before anyone accuses me of of anti-northern or anti-northern working class bias, I would just add that my wife is from humble origins in Liverpool (which I visit often and love) and my parents were from similarly humble origins even further north than you (Scotland). Partly as a result of this my sympathies have since Mrs Thatcher been with those in the north in preference to those in the prosperous south east who can generally look after themselves.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 13:50]

OK - most of that makes sense, but your problem, as has clearly been shown, is that using " the north", as a replacement for "people struggling in post-industrial towns who might have voted brexit and are not scientifically academic" is a generalisation that misses the mark.

The thing is that, in terms of infrastructure investment etc, then yes, the North is a generalisation that stands up, because that's about an area, where it can demonstrably be seen that investment is lacking, but you can't use "the north" to generalise people ( and its a good rule to NEVER generalise people) , because there are plenty of ambitious, smart, scientific, successful people up here, and your post lost its way, because of that generalisation.

Enough of semantics though.

What we need is a way, post-industrialisation, post-brexit, to bring as much opportunity to as many people as possible, be they in the north, the midlands, or the east anglian wastelands ;-) Maybe we could come up with a catchy slogan... "Levelling up" maybe?

Developing strength in technology and science is not a bad thing, these are growth industries, which have the potential to pay wages that make sense in the current climate. Pushing to bring back large scale manufacturing is always going to struggle against the lower wage economies in other parts of the world.

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 14:50 - Mar 7 with 505 viewsDJR

Have we done " tweeting a QR code" yet? on 13:57 - Mar 7 by SaleAway

OK - most of that makes sense, but your problem, as has clearly been shown, is that using " the north", as a replacement for "people struggling in post-industrial towns who might have voted brexit and are not scientifically academic" is a generalisation that misses the mark.

The thing is that, in terms of infrastructure investment etc, then yes, the North is a generalisation that stands up, because that's about an area, where it can demonstrably be seen that investment is lacking, but you can't use "the north" to generalise people ( and its a good rule to NEVER generalise people) , because there are plenty of ambitious, smart, scientific, successful people up here, and your post lost its way, because of that generalisation.

Enough of semantics though.

What we need is a way, post-industrialisation, post-brexit, to bring as much opportunity to as many people as possible, be they in the north, the midlands, or the east anglian wastelands ;-) Maybe we could come up with a catchy slogan... "Levelling up" maybe?

Developing strength in technology and science is not a bad thing, these are growth industries, which have the potential to pay wages that make sense in the current climate. Pushing to bring back large scale manufacturing is always going to struggle against the lower wage economies in other parts of the world.

I think you if you read my post carefully you will see that it wasn't generalising people in the north. It was just an observation that there can't be many Brexit voters in the north who are scientists and so will benefit from the UK becoming a science superpower.

But as you say, enough of the semantics.

As regards levelling up, there is in my view little evidence that this is anything more than a gimmick.

As regards manufacturing, the view you take is clearly not the view the German government takes. And the problem it seems to me is that we are putting up hurdles for the manufacturing that we do have, if this is anything to go by.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/mar/07/brexit-eu-uk-manufacturers-make

But I am sure Brexit has been done to death on this forum, so there's no real point in continuing it here.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 14:51]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024