Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... 17:09 - Apr 26 with 1338 viewsbluelagos

I was a bit quicker in those days and got a hold of Matty Holland in a bear hug :-)

Fortunately his safety wasn't compromised and he went onto to play a part in the wemberlee win a little while later.

twtd

Anyone?
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 17:10]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 17:24 - Apr 26 with 1252 viewsFunge

I ran on after the Bolton play-off game, after Van Nistelcheat effectively relegated us in 2001 (I concede that this one was pointless), and after the Bryan Gunn game in 1996.

There's genuinely been pretty much nothing else to celebrate in the 22 years since.
Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 17:35 - Apr 26 with 1218 viewsbluelagos

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 17:24 - Apr 26 by Funge

I ran on after the Bolton play-off game, after Van Nistelcheat effectively relegated us in 2001 (I concede that this one was pointless), and after the Bryan Gunn game in 1996.

There's genuinely been pretty much nothing else to celebrate in the 22 years since.

My fave was at the MCG in 98. England hadn't won there in 80 odd years - was getting to the point where a victory was clear, so we moved seats to the front row in anticipation - meanwhile a Victoria state copper carefully crawled and sat in front of an advertising board - thinking we hadn't him - ready to pounce.

Someone nameless tapped him on the head and a conversation started:

"You're not going on the pitch"
"Course we are pal"
"Nah, you'll get nicked"
"Like you gonna nick two thousand of us?"

So we get the final wicket and my kid bro is one of the first on - the copper is chasing him and he's doing figure of 8s as the copper tries to grab him...straight out of the keystone kops.

After a while it's all on - and we celebrate a victory. 10 mins later as we walk off - we saw same copper - he wasn't too happy :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:00 - Apr 26 with 1150 viewsIllinoisblue

Was in the corner bit of North and West then moved into West for easier access to pitch. Too slow to get close to players. What a fking night that was. Amazing to think it wasn’t live on TV back then. Barry Knight shall remain our dirty little secret.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:03 - Apr 26 with 1126 viewstextbackup

All 4 sides flooded the pitch within seconds.

From cobbold lower we all went on, as did my 8/9/10 year old cousins, no phones, parents ran in other directions… we all found each other 30mins later!

I’d have a heart attack if my kids ran in without me now 😂

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:34 - Apr 26 with 1064 viewsgainsboroughblue

I was in cobbold upper so I was among the second wave of invaders. Don't remember seeing any of the players. By the time I left, none of the pubs were serving which was a bit of a comedown.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:42 - Apr 26 with 1042 viewsle2blue

I was in the West stand upper, polishing off 10 Marlboro lights (even though I don't and didnt smoke), the most stressful night of my life....then ran down to lower to get on the pitch. Mental night and being on the pitch was funny, lots of people walking around like 'we're here what do we do now'.
Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:45 - Apr 26 with 1024 viewsgainsboroughblue

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:42 - Apr 26 by le2blue

I was in the West stand upper, polishing off 10 Marlboro lights (even though I don't and didnt smoke), the most stressful night of my life....then ran down to lower to get on the pitch. Mental night and being on the pitch was funny, lots of people walking around like 'we're here what do we do now'.

I got through one and a half packs of B&H that night before cadging off my mate. Absolute bag of nerves. At least we were allowed to smoke in the ground back then, wouldn't have seen much of the game if it was now.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:50 - Apr 26 with 1009 viewsFunge

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 18:45 - Apr 26 by gainsboroughblue

I got through one and a half packs of B&H that night before cadging off my mate. Absolute bag of nerves. At least we were allowed to smoke in the ground back then, wouldn't have seen much of the game if it was now.

I was so resigned to going out, again, that Magilton's 3rd didn't register as it ought - everyone was going crackers and I was sort of bobbling about, wide-eyed, getting pushed and barged by everyone else in NS4.

Then extra-time came, Whitlow (I think) got sent off for them, Clapham put the pen away, and I fully lost my mind when Reuser scored.

23 years ago ffs, absurd.
Login to get fewer ads

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 19:00 - Apr 26 with 977 viewsbelgablue

I'd won tickets that day in an EADT competition so ended up sitting in the pioneer upper or middle - made it on the pitch after thousands of others and was particularly proud to see myself in the centre circle during the Anglia highlights. Amazing how many friends I bumped into on the pitch that night!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 19:09 - Apr 26 with 969 viewsArnieM

Oh yes I was there that night. I was living in Sheffield , and came down for the game. What tension that night. Magic was bloody possessed in that midfield that night. What a bloody game. It’s still one of m6 all time favourites even now. Even we can create this again on Saturday ( without the Exeter goals lol)…it’ll be a helluva day. For sure. And the really nice things is all our fans in the 20’s who have never known / seen any kind of success whilst following this great Club, will finally have something to remember and go absolutely bloody nuts about!

COYFBS 👍

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 19:20 - Apr 26 with 940 viewsChurchman

I was in the corner of Churchmans towards the front next to the Cobbold/East Stand. Wasn’t part of the initial invasion cadre but on soon enough, purloining a bit of turf as mentioned in another thread. My dad was in the West Stand and we sort of did a bit of Give us a Clue sign language arranging to meet at the car. He didn’t have a mobile then.

I was bouncing around on that pitch like a dog on the beach. What a night that was.
Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 19:20 - Apr 26 with 939 viewsITFC_Forever

For some unknown reason, I’d decided to take my Town top off and whirl it around my head barechested for the last few minutes.

So when the whistle went, I tucked into my jeans and charged on from the North Stand and found David Johnson. Me another guy picked him up and carried him on our shoulders, his left leg over my right shoulder and his right leg over the other guy’s left shoulder. He weighed a bloody ton. So when we looked up and saw the tunnel was a million miles away, we put him down and let the stewards rescue him.

After we left the stadium, we headed to Brannigan’s where they didn’t let me in as they didn’t like my Gazelles. Rude. So we ended up at home searching for the dregs of whatever alcohol we could find.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Memories of the Bolton playoff pitch invasion... on 19:22 - Apr 26 with 932 viewsrllmuk

Was 18 at the time and a North Stand season ticket holder, went straight on at full time and quickly wondered what to do next. Euphoric and we just knew it was our year after that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024