Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
About to be another war 09:09 - Dec 6 with 1684 viewsGuthrum

In South America this time.

Venezuela held a referendum a few days ago about ignoring international arbitration on a border dispute with Guyana (over an area which covers about a third of the latter country). Reportedly, polling stations were nearly empty, but the government declared a huge turnout and a massive majority in their favour.

President Maduro of Venezuela has now instructed state oil and gas companies to begin exploiting believed reserves in the disputed region. Both sides have moved troops up the the border (which lies in thick jungle), as has neighbouring Brazil.

Maduro is a close ally of Putin - wonder if this is another attempt at a "distraction conflict" by Moscow (c.f. Nagorno-Karabakh, Gaza, various coups and attempted coups in the Sahel*)? Guyana is backed by the US and is a former British colony.

* Not saying Putin directly ordered these conflicts to start, but he has influence with one of the parties in each situation, or Wagner mercenaries operating in the area.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About to be another war on 09:11 - Dec 6 with 1648 viewssoupytwist

That's a shame, I'd pencilled in Guyana on the possible holiday wishlist.

Hadn't done any research on it though.
About to be another war on 09:29 - Dec 6 with 1584 viewsGeoffSentence

TLDR have been covering this pretty well recently.

This is a good short primer

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About to be another war on 10:24 - Dec 6 with 1483 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

All a populist distraction of course, as we see with Argentina’s constant sabre rattling. 3m Venezuelan refugees reside in Columbia alone, and many more scattered throughout South America. A timely reminder that the proponent of ‘kinder, gentler politics’ opposed sanctions on Maduro’s regime, and condemned the violence on both sides’.

This isn’t even about oil - there’s very few significant markets they can sell to due to the Western Sanctions. So you may be right to suspect Russian influence- certainly it is in their interest.
About to be another war on 10:28 - Dec 6 with 1470 viewsblueasfook

About to be another war on 10:24 - Dec 6 by SuperKieranMcKenna

All a populist distraction of course, as we see with Argentina’s constant sabre rattling. 3m Venezuelan refugees reside in Columbia alone, and many more scattered throughout South America. A timely reminder that the proponent of ‘kinder, gentler politics’ opposed sanctions on Maduro’s regime, and condemned the violence on both sides’.

This isn’t even about oil - there’s very few significant markets they can sell to due to the Western Sanctions. So you may be right to suspect Russian influence- certainly it is in their interest.

Guess which British politician supports evil dictator Maduro

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

About to be another war on 10:31 - Dec 6 with 1454 viewsGlasgowBlue

About to be another war on 10:28 - Dec 6 by blueasfook

Guess which British politician supports evil dictator Maduro

An actual imperialist war for oil. I’m sure the condemnation from the former dear leader will be deafening.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About to be another war on 13:37 - Dec 6 with 1237 viewsGuthrum

About to be another war on 10:24 - Dec 6 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Not to mention that, if similar to Venezuela's own existing oil production, it is right down the thick, tarry end of the scale. Not suitable for petroleum or any of the lighter products.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About to be another war on 14:08 - Dec 6 with 1178 viewsBent_double

Thanks for that....I only just booked my January flight to Brazil yesterday

Oh well, I'll be down south, a few thousand kilometers from that border, so should be OK.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About to be another war on 17:07 - Dec 6 with 977 viewsPerublue

Excellent. Why should our continent miss out on all the self-destructive fun...seriously though,it's something we are aware of down here and have no real concerns about it being any more than what we have unofficially going on in several countries skirmish wise .

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

Login to get fewer ads

About to be another war on 18:06 - Dec 6 with 873 viewsSwansea_Blue

I love the arrows system on threads like this. i always wonder whether those up allowing are rubbing their hands thinking 'yeah, another war!!!'. Or they just appreciate the matter being raised in a thoughtful thread.

I wasn't aware of this, so up arrowing on that basis!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About to be another war on 18:14 - Dec 6 with 856 viewsPerublue

About to be another war on 18:06 - Dec 6 by Swansea_Blue

I love the arrows system on threads like this. i always wonder whether those up allowing are rubbing their hands thinking 'yeah, another war!!!'. Or they just appreciate the matter being raised in a thoughtful thread.

I wasn't aware of this, so up arrowing on that basis!

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024