Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
U18s Stage Second-Half Comeback to Stun Fulham in FA Youth Cup
Monday, 7th Dec 2020 21:14

Sub Harley Curtis netted the winning goal four minutes into injury time as Town’s U18s pulled off a remarkable second-half comeback to beat Fulham 3-2 in the third round of the FA Youth Cup at Portman Road. Having been deservedly 2-0 down at half-time to goals from Imani Lanquedoc and Mika Biereth, the Blues pulled one back through Brooklyn Kabongolo five minutes after the break, then Liam Gibbs converted a penalty in the 89th minute before Curtis (pictured) won it deep in injury time to seal Town's place in round four.

In freezing, foggy conditions, the visitors struck the game’s first shot in the ninth minute, but Mika Biereth’s effort from the edge of the box flew wide of Town keeper Lewis Ridd’s left post.

Two minutes later, Town left-back Alfie Armin was shown the game’s first yellow card for a foul on Luciano D’Auria-Henry.

Fulham, currently fifth in U18s Premier League South, had seen most of the ball in the early stages and in the 17th minute they went in front from the game’s first serious chance.

The ball was neatly worked in from the left before being stabbed out to Lanquedoc, who hit a powerful strike from the edge of the box which beat Ridd.

The Blues subsequently had spells of tidy possession but with Fulham looking more threatening and winning a number of free-kicks in the Town half.

On 25 Liam Gibbs, fresh from making his first league start against Charlton 10 days ago, made a strong break down the left and cut into the area for the Blues but ran into trouble before he was able to lay the ball off to team-mate.

Within a minute it was 2-0 to the Cottagers, Biereth slamming Ollie O’Neill’s low ball from the left into the net from close range.

Just after the half hour, the ball was taken away from Gibbs as he looked to shoot inside the area and broke to skipper Fraser Alexander in a promising position on the right but his low cross was cut out.

Town made a change in the 37th minute when striker Bello was replaced by Harley Curtis.

Fulham continued to control the game although without creating an opportunity which might lead to their third goal until first-half injury time Biereth was played into space on the right of the box and sent a dangerous ball across the Blues’ six-yard box but without anyone being able to get a touch on it.

The 2–0 scoreline at half-time was a fair enough reflection on a first half with the Blues never having been able to impose themselves on the impressive visitors.

Fulham, much like their senior side in the Carabao Cup tie at Portman Road earlier in the season, had moved the ball around slickly and quickly and although they had hardly created a hatful of chances, they had taken the two clear-cut ones they had carved out clinically.

Town should have pulled a goal back seconds after the restart. Following a break down down the right Zanda Siziba headed over the bar when the midfielder clearly thought he should have done better.

The Blues continued their promising start to the second half and in the 50th minute pulled a goal back. Gibbs sent over a free-kick from the left and central defender Kabongolo rose highest to power a header past Fulham keeper Alex Borto.

Town continued to keep pressing and in the 53rd minute Siziba curled a free-kick from 25 yards out over. A minute later the one-time Tottenham youngster claimed a penalty when he appeared to be manhandled as he chased a ball into the area.

On 55 Blues keeper Ridd was shown a yellow card after rushing out of his area and bringing down O’Neill but with plenty of defenders having got back to cover. Harvey Araujo’s free-kick deflected over off the wall.

Three minutes later, Ridd was unable to claim a corner on the right and eventually O’Neill struck a shot which caught a Town player and flew only just wide.

Town had been much better in the second half, albeit without having threatening to level until the 75th minute when Harley cut across to Gibbs from the right and the midfielder looked set to score until Stefan Parkes slid in to dispossess him.

Four minutes later, Gibbs curled a free-kick into Borto’s arms then Siziba hit another set piece from a similarly dangerous area over with Town increasingly looking the more likely scorers of the game’s fourth goal.

Town introduced schoolboys Nico Valentine and Jack Manly from the bench for Ben Wyss and Siziba as the match moved into its final 10 minutes. On 82 Ridd palmed a Fulham header over.

The Blues continued to push and a minute from time were awarded a penalty when sub Curtis, who had impressed since coming off the bench, was clumsily felled by Matt Dibley Dias in the area.

Referee Oliver Morris Sanders pointed straight to the spot and Gibbs slammed his spot-kick confidently into the roof of the net.

The Blues kept up the pressure in the closing stages and completed what had looked a hugely unlikely comeback at half-time in the fourth minute of injury time.

Another Gibbs free-kick was cleared but Valentine looped a header back behind the advancing Fulham defenders and Curtis beat the offside trap to volley home as Borto advanced off his line.

Town saw out the remaining additional time to confirm their place in round four after an extraordinary comeback.

At half-time the Blues looked to be out of the competition they won in 1973, 1975 and 2005 but having pulled a goal back shortly after the restart through Kabongolo, Adem Atay and Jason Dozzell’s side gained belief as the half wore on.

Fulham looked more and more on the ropes in the closing stages, particularly after Gibbs had netted his penalty and Curtis’s superbly taken winner sealed a memorable turnaround for the youngsters.

Town: Ridd, Wyss (Valentine 78), Armin, Alexander, Kabongolo, Baggott, Humphreys, Cutbush, Bello (Curtis 37), Gibbs, Siziba (Manly 81). Unused: Catley, Stewart, Chirewa, Bareck.

Fulham: Borto, D’Auria-Henry, Parkes, Bowat, O'Neill, Dibley Dias, Biereth, Pajaziti, Lanquedoc, Sanderson, Araujo. Subs: Odutayo, Benjamin, Chisholm, Olakigbe, Wildbore, Antonsson. Referee: Oliver Morris Sanders.

Photo: TWTD

Please report offensive, libellous or inappropriate posts by using the links provided.

ArnieM added 21:16 - Dec 7
Oh well played lads 👍

Bert added 21:19 - Dec 7
A very assured performance in the second half...... and playing out from the back ! Well done lads.

rfretwell added 21:20 - Dec 7
Proper stirring fight back in the second half after it looked all over at half time. We really got at Fulham, didnt let them settle and finally got our reward. Excellent evenings entertainment. Now bring on the Gooners!

OldClactonBlue added 21:25 - Dec 7
Excellent, reminds me of the old days.

GatesPerm added 21:29 - Dec 7
I really enjoyed watching that.

A real game of two halves with Fulham completely running the first half and Town the second.

Great comeback and onwards to Round 4.

BromleyBloo added 21:46 - Dec 7
Well deserved after a very good second half performance. A little unlucky to go behind to a very good Ful goal and then lost their way a bit, but a different team after half-time with lots of positive passing and attacking football from midfield. Equaliser and winner at last doors - fantastic👏!!!

Cloddyseedbed added 21:49 - Dec 7
Good 2nd half performance lads. Well deserved victory, well fought.

dominiciawful added 22:46 - Dec 7
Brooklyn Kabongolo, what a name.

coolcat added 23:27 - Dec 7
Was great to watch. Great comeback after 2 down in first half.

Freddies_Ears added 00:09 - Dec 8
The reshape at ht was key to the win. Brilliant management, and clearly a group of players who were able to take the messages and convert them into the pitch. Well fdone, all. Gibbs and Baggott superb, but it was a great team performance.

pennblue added 05:20 - Dec 8
Great to see, and loving the fact that youngsters now have a genuine route through to 1st team football at Ipswich.

BettyBlue added 06:06 - Dec 8
great to see all sides playing to Berties tactics

give them a goal or two and start playing in the 2nd half once you've lulled them into a false sense of security

SeasonTKT_Cobbold added 07:11 - Dec 8
Well done. Gibbs looks a player

BettyBlue added 07:37 - Dec 8
Where are our crop young talented black players?

BettyBlue added 07:37 - Dec 8
Where are our crop young talented black players?

grumpyoldman added 07:54 - Dec 8
Bettyblue what a ridiculous question, colour is irrelevant in any walk of life!

BettyBlue added 08:28 - Dec 8
Our youth teams are conspicuously mostly white youngsters.

does that show a weakness in our recruitment or do we concentrate only on recruiting in certain areas?

As BAME kids make up 50% of the population I would expect our intake to be more representative.

I am not racist. Its football talent that matters.

Upthetown1970 added 08:47 - Dec 8
What a fantastic come back. The change in formation was the key. Let's be honest the first half Fulham were exploiting the gaps in our formation and went in at halftime with a deserved 2-0 lead. The change in formation in the second half closed all those gaps and Fulham couldn't break us down. The u18 Ipswich lads then turned it on and wow did they wont to win, what desire they showed. Curtis ran tirelessly and got his well deserved goal. Gibbs was fantastic with his movement, vision and passing. Gibbs free kick delivery for the first goal was superb and kept a real cool head for the penalty in the 90th minute (what a player Gibbs could be). Those 2 stood out for me but I have to say this was a team performance and every single player deserves credit. A fantastic advertisement for our academy. Well done to all our academy staff amazing.

This result has certainly help us Ipswich fans believe the future looks so bright.

Razor added 10:25 - Dec 8
This is turning out to be a good week-----take it in to Saturday and we can end it really on a high!!

midastouch added 10:27 - Dec 8
Oh ye of little faith turned it on Facebook and saw the boys in blue were 2 down in the 1st half and feared the worst so turned over.  Came on here later last night to check the final damage and was stunned to see they'd turned it around.  Massive credit to the lads, that's a fantastic effort.

dirtydingusmagee added 10:32 - Dec 8
excellent well done lads.

Linkboy13 added 10:33 - Dec 8
Young Gibbs is some talent but it would be foolish to rush him into senior football before he is physically ready and end up like Dozzell and Nydam badly injured.

runningout added 11:41 - Dec 8
fab Blooming tastic

johnwarksshorts added 17:31 - Dec 8
Well done lads. Great fight back.

RobsonWark added 18:14 - Dec 8
Great to see our youth team managers are taking the FA Youth cup seriously and not playing the U12's.

You need to login in order to post your comments

Blogs 275 bloggers

Ipswich Town Polls

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2021