Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways 13:06 - Mar 16 with 2091 viewsthebluewizzard

Might add an extra little something to take off and landing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39284294
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:26 - Mar 16 with 2041 viewsSarge

Seems like a bizarre idea, can't see how it would work personally
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:36 - Mar 16 with 2015 viewshampstead_blue

I read that on the BBC. Really cute idea.

A mate flies 777's long haul, he likes it.

There must be a reason why it's not been developed before, or maybe it's just too obvious for the politicians......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:48 - Mar 16 with 1987 viewsMedwayTractor

Is it April 1st today?

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:50 - Mar 16 with 1982 viewsSteve_M

They will come in handy once flying cars truly, err, take off.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:53 - Mar 16 with 1971 viewsLord_Lucan

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:48 - Mar 16 by MedwayTractor

Is it April 1st today?

That's what I thought

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 15:37 - Mar 16 with 1930 viewsconnorscontract

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:26 - Mar 16 by Sarge

It works because the circular runway is huge- 3 times longer than a curremt runway- and it's better because it means you can avoid crosswinds for the most critical points of the landing.

It's clever.

However, the vast majority of the world's airport infrastructure is now built and is laid out on a linear plan. If someone had pushed this 60 years ago it would have been handy.
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 16:03 - Mar 16 with 1901 viewsNo9

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 15:37 - Mar 16 by connorscontract

It works because the circular runway is huge- 3 times longer than a curremt runway- and it's better because it means you can avoid crosswinds for the most critical points of the landing.

It's clever.

However, the vast majority of the world's airport infrastructure is now built and is laid out on a linear plan. If someone had pushed this 60 years ago it would have been handy.

Never watched any motorbike racing?
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 16:03 - Mar 16 with 1895 viewsdryas

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 14:26 - Mar 16 by Sarge

It was trialled successfully in the USA using military aircraft back in the 1960s I believe.
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 18:37 - Mar 16 with 1846 viewsPinewoodblue

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 16:03 - Mar 16 by dryas

It was trialled successfully in the USA using military aircraft back in the 1960s I believe.

imagine the radius would be at leadt a mile and terminal would be sime distance from the actual runway. Work in a desert but not at LHR.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 18:45 - Mar 16 with 1833 viewsSwansea_Blue

zombie posted this earlier - cute idea, but yes it's massive (3.5 km across if I remember rightly). Perfect for new airports at Middle Eastern hubs. They may have 3x the number of takeoffs and landings at any given time as a single straight runway, but it's probably 3x the length, so not surprising.

The crosswind thing seems the best plus for it, but when that's such an issue you wouldn't have 3 simultaneous TOs/landings at the same time because everyone would need the same sweet spot.

Seems a bit of a strange thing to be this guys "dream", but worth looking at pros and cons I suppose.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 18:51 - Mar 16 with 1823 viewsSarge

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 15:37 - Mar 16 by connorscontract

It's clever.

From a landing perspective yes you avoid crosswind for one portion but since it's circular you're going to get a crosswind regardless. Then if you want to brake, you can't apply brakes evenly to each undercarriage leg since you're travelling in a circle

For take off, a longer distance than usual will be required so the aircraft will travel around more of the circle and potentially negate any benefits gained with respect to crosswinds. Also since aircraft both need to take off and land into the wind, you're not going to be able to have multiple aircraft using it at once since they'll all need the same section of the circle. Then you've got the effect of uneven lift generation since the inner and outer wings will be travelling at different speeds and the increased wear on one set of tires.

The only way to really remove crosswind elements is to have a hub and spoke style system with 8 or more runways all crossing over each other like an asterisk but that's really not economical or probably safe!
Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 19:40 - Mar 16 with 1780 viewsMJallday

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 18:37 - Mar 16 by Pinewoodblue

imagine the radius would be at leadt a mile and terminal would be sime distance from the actual runway. Work in a desert but not at LHR.

of course it would. just dig up the m25 a bit and do it on that. might have a move a couple of bridges and watford gap services but apart from that - peice of p1ss

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:00 - Mar 16 with 1761 viewsPinewoodblue

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 19:40 - Mar 16 by MJallday

of course it would. just dig up the m25 a bit and do it on that. might have a move a couple of bridges and watford gap services but apart from that - peice of p1ss

Watford Gap services is on M1 in Northamptonshire.

2023 year of destiny

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:03 - Mar 16 with 1758 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 18:51 - Mar 16 by Sarge

From a landing perspective yes you avoid crosswind for one portion but since it's circular you're going to get a crosswind regardless. Then if you want to brake, you can't apply brakes evenly to each undercarriage leg since you're travelling in a circle

For take off, a longer distance than usual will be required so the aircraft will travel around more of the circle and potentially negate any benefits gained with respect to crosswinds. Also since aircraft both need to take off and land into the wind, you're not going to be able to have multiple aircraft using it at once since they'll all need the same section of the circle. Then you've got the effect of uneven lift generation since the inner and outer wings will be travelling at different speeds and the increased wear on one set of tires.

The only way to really remove crosswind elements is to have a hub and spoke style system with 8 or more runways all crossing over each other like an asterisk but that's really not economical or probably safe!

It's massive though, so turning circle may be negligible. But I agree with the point about needing to use the same portion to get the benefits of wind direction. I suppose you'd get that twice though (one on each side).

Not sure he's thought this through. When you think about it, a better starting point than spending years and thousands of € on models and flight simulators would have been to ask us.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:06 - Mar 16 with 1744 viewsMJallday

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:00 - Mar 16 by Pinewoodblue

Watford Gap services is on M1 in Northamptonshire.

i know. i just dont like it

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:07 - Mar 16 with 1740 viewsPinewoodblue

Interesting idea for LHR - circular runways on 20:03 - Mar 16 by Swansea_Blue

It's massive though, so turning circle may be negligible. But I agree with the point about needing to use the same portion to get the benefits of wind direction. I suppose you'd get that twice though (one on each side).

Not sure he's thought this through. When you think about it, a better starting point than spending years and thousands of € on models and flight simulators would have been to ask us.

TWTD the only place to seek expert opinion on anything and everything.

2023 year of destiny

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024