Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil - a non political question.... 08:25 - May 4 with 4811 viewsunstableblue

.... as even Radio 4 are staying away from Brexit and the election, due to the local voting.

So, I've just finished listening to the Naked Football show and yes the guest was very anti-Mick. But throughout the show he and the mighty Graham made valid points which just make you realise the scale of mistakes, poor judgement and concerning lack of vision and system our manager has been exhibiting, and now for a really long time.

The number of season tickets who didn't show on Saturday, the apathy and anger to the lap of honour.

So to the question - is he honestly getting another season and budget? I will be dumbfounded if so.

His football is terrible, and although investment is key, you cannot hide his ineptitude.

I'm not returning whilst he's at the club. My addiction is only so powerful.
[Post edited 4 May 2017 8:29]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:06 - May 4 with 1783 viewsBenters

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:01 - May 4 by unstableblue

Oh you massive.....

Read the below.. and then take your hat AND EAT IT.

Have you ever thought that I actually come on here after a gaem and report what actually happened on the pitch>!>?!?

EXHIBIT A - after Newcastle game:

Team was set up perfectly, everyone was highly motivated, and every player was backing up and also giving players options. It made PR an intimidating place.

If we played with that tempo and intent, much like Norwich and Leeds at home I'd back Mick all the way.

Don't want to detract from Micks selection and the teams performance, but:

- that level of energy has been very rare for 18months
- we played only one holding midfielder against technically best team, to press Huws and Ward up against their deeper midfielders, why haven't we done that against sh!t teams
- we played full backs, not centre backs pretending to be full backs
- we played 5 attacking players not 3

As Mick Mills said it's horrible travelling all the way to Suffolk why make it then easy for visiting teams by sitting deep?!?!

And finally that team today was better than Newcastle because of the system and tempo, not the personnel - it is not all about investment.

Very happy, but also very frustrated. Mick prove you want to play that week in week out. Admit Douglas and skuse was a mess. And admit we've been short of a Huws player since you joined.

I'll back you if you play like that!!!

Exhibit B - after Norwich game:

Well that was fun, and despite a few lingering concerns a game to take a lot heart from as we continue to ponder Ipswich's prospects for the 16/17 season.

On paper Norwich had a far superior starting eleven, and 3 midfielders that we would love to poach - in our dreams. And indeed for 20 minutes after their against the run of play goal Norwich's midfield purred. Despite that insight into the quality gap, Ipswich probably deserved the win. Chances in the start of the first half and the closing stages, and some exciting width, shading this passionate encounter.

Despite the disappointing circa 24k attendance, derided on announcement by our East Anglian 'cousins', this had a big game feel. It's not just the number of people, it's the buzz of excitement. The fan zone was pretty good, the pitch, sun, clapper things stuck in the seats, and the packed North and away ends made for a real sense of anticipation. Numerous mates had stayed away, a combination of holidays, Sky, early kick off and Mick's style being the weak excuses. So I don't think you can blame the poor turn out on any single factor.

So how did Mick's Ipswich play? Generally the energy, bite and tracking were fantastic. And earnt at least the point. The noise of the North combined with some tenacious Douglas, Berra, Bru and Berra dogged play, ruffled Norwich, they couldn't get into the game. And ward and Murphy started to get joy - we had tempo. My biggest ask from Mick and the team would be to continue that into Saturday and Preston. We had multiple corners, we stretched Norwich for 20mins. Murphy had a superb chance, and I do think our talisman is showing his 10 goal a season form at present, rather than that fine streak of a few seasons back.

Even in this glorious spell, we still went back into type into numerous occasions, with poor early long distribution, cheap turnover of ball, wasted impetus. It's the elephant in the room with this team. And must be eradicated, in Grant, and Bishop and the missing young Evertonian, maybe we have the solution. As indeed after their goal Norwich showed us how to do it - short incisive passing, began to tear into us, their goal real class. Their manager bemoaning afterwards that they only got I got that gear for 20 mins, but to be fair Ipswich refused to allow it. And our defence was just too strong. Webster and Berra were just excellent, tough, horrible to play against. Webster will relish a more dynamic midfield in front of him, which surely will come with Bishop fully fit, and weaker opposition.

In Norwich's purple patch, Ipswich started to lump aimless ball, not to Murphy's feet which he lives and led to our goal via linking with the improved Sears. Sears still remained too wide in my view. Even Ward started getting the Ipswich disease with some speculative hit and hope. Ward is a revelation to me, a superb signing by Mick, a player worth the admission, to get fans returning. He refuses to play poor distribution in the main, and when Bishop was also on, we started to use the ball so effectively against a tiring Norwich, we started to punish them with Knudsen drawn up the field, and Sears and Murphy loving the interplay. And of course as Leicester show so well, once you start to mix your game, with bishop bringing canary defenders out the longer ball starts to work, and Murphy had a great chance to break through - was he tripped or just shattered?!

Bishop had a great chance to seal it, just the sheer impetus from Town stretching Norwich, he could centred but shot at the hapless keepers legs.

Lots of lessons, lots of hope, but let's take this energy and in part more cultured approach into the Preston game.

Pride of Anglia restored.

So what are you saying then

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:09 - May 4 with 1780 viewsartsbossbeard

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:01 - May 4 by unstableblue

Oh you massive.....

Read the below.. and then take your hat AND EAT IT.

Have you ever thought that I actually come on here after a gaem and report what actually happened on the pitch>!>?!?

EXHIBIT A - after Newcastle game:

Team was set up perfectly, everyone was highly motivated, and every player was backing up and also giving players options. It made PR an intimidating place.

If we played with that tempo and intent, much like Norwich and Leeds at home I'd back Mick all the way.

Don't want to detract from Micks selection and the teams performance, but:

- that level of energy has been very rare for 18months
- we played only one holding midfielder against technically best team, to press Huws and Ward up against their deeper midfielders, why haven't we done that against sh!t teams
- we played full backs, not centre backs pretending to be full backs
- we played 5 attacking players not 3

As Mick Mills said it's horrible travelling all the way to Suffolk why make it then easy for visiting teams by sitting deep?!?!

And finally that team today was better than Newcastle because of the system and tempo, not the personnel - it is not all about investment.

Very happy, but also very frustrated. Mick prove you want to play that week in week out. Admit Douglas and skuse was a mess. And admit we've been short of a Huws player since you joined.

I'll back you if you play like that!!!

Exhibit B - after Norwich game:

Well that was fun, and despite a few lingering concerns a game to take a lot heart from as we continue to ponder Ipswich's prospects for the 16/17 season.

On paper Norwich had a far superior starting eleven, and 3 midfielders that we would love to poach - in our dreams. And indeed for 20 minutes after their against the run of play goal Norwich's midfield purred. Despite that insight into the quality gap, Ipswich probably deserved the win. Chances in the start of the first half and the closing stages, and some exciting width, shading this passionate encounter.

Despite the disappointing circa 24k attendance, derided on announcement by our East Anglian 'cousins', this had a big game feel. It's not just the number of people, it's the buzz of excitement. The fan zone was pretty good, the pitch, sun, clapper things stuck in the seats, and the packed North and away ends made for a real sense of anticipation. Numerous mates had stayed away, a combination of holidays, Sky, early kick off and Mick's style being the weak excuses. So I don't think you can blame the poor turn out on any single factor.

So how did Mick's Ipswich play? Generally the energy, bite and tracking were fantastic. And earnt at least the point. The noise of the North combined with some tenacious Douglas, Berra, Bru and Berra dogged play, ruffled Norwich, they couldn't get into the game. And ward and Murphy started to get joy - we had tempo. My biggest ask from Mick and the team would be to continue that into Saturday and Preston. We had multiple corners, we stretched Norwich for 20mins. Murphy had a superb chance, and I do think our talisman is showing his 10 goal a season form at present, rather than that fine streak of a few seasons back.

Even in this glorious spell, we still went back into type into numerous occasions, with poor early long distribution, cheap turnover of ball, wasted impetus. It's the elephant in the room with this team. And must be eradicated, in Grant, and Bishop and the missing young Evertonian, maybe we have the solution. As indeed after their goal Norwich showed us how to do it - short incisive passing, began to tear into us, their goal real class. Their manager bemoaning afterwards that they only got I got that gear for 20 mins, but to be fair Ipswich refused to allow it. And our defence was just too strong. Webster and Berra were just excellent, tough, horrible to play against. Webster will relish a more dynamic midfield in front of him, which surely will come with Bishop fully fit, and weaker opposition.

In Norwich's purple patch, Ipswich started to lump aimless ball, not to Murphy's feet which he lives and led to our goal via linking with the improved Sears. Sears still remained too wide in my view. Even Ward started getting the Ipswich disease with some speculative hit and hope. Ward is a revelation to me, a superb signing by Mick, a player worth the admission, to get fans returning. He refuses to play poor distribution in the main, and when Bishop was also on, we started to use the ball so effectively against a tiring Norwich, we started to punish them with Knudsen drawn up the field, and Sears and Murphy loving the interplay. And of course as Leicester show so well, once you start to mix your game, with bishop bringing canary defenders out the longer ball starts to work, and Murphy had a great chance to break through - was he tripped or just shattered?!

Bishop had a great chance to seal it, just the sheer impetus from Town stretching Norwich, he could centred but shot at the hapless keepers legs.

Lots of lessons, lots of hope, but let's take this energy and in part more cultured approach into the Preston game.

Pride of Anglia restored.

Yes or no?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:15 - May 4 with 1767 viewshoppy

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:09 - May 4 by artsbossbeard

Yes or no?

Well, the first bit does feature the start of a line that goes... "As Mick Mills said..."

Put him down as a 'don't know'?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:31 - May 4 with 1745 viewsunstableblue

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:09 - May 4 by artsbossbeard

Yes or no?

Yes you've eaten that hat, and feel shamed and dirty at your questioning of my football opinion purity.

But if you must persist.

The answer is No, I won't be coming on here giving a balanced opinion (chortle) of a town game I haven't attended, how could I if I wasn't there.

(Caveat: Rotherham opinions were based on the stupidity of selection not physical attendance, when something so stupid was done, it needed comment).

But on a serious note my TWTD attendance will wane in line with my lack of attendance.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:53 - May 4 with 1721 viewsitfcjoe

Whilst there are some decent points made, it is way OTT and a lot is just wrong.

About kids not getting games - Benyu and Morris should play here, No one was talking about Benyu before his loan and it has clearly improved him, Morris was just sent back from Woking as he couldn't get a game.

Kenlock had got in team ahead of Knudsen and then got injured

Spence to me and I'm sure a few others looks better than Emmanuel, and Emmanuel doesn't have that much potential if I'm honest.

The style of football isn't the best, but too many are so in for Mick now that they turn up and don't allow themselves to enjoy it even if it is anything - 3 of mates I went with weren't going to go but decided to and left before half time. the game wasn't that bad but that attitude has set in and it is hard to change.

I think it is time for Mick to go, but it doesn't look as though he will - this season hasn't been the best and a lot of that goes back to the Murphy deal - but once again we've had long term injuries suffered by Knudsen, Smith, Bishop, McGoldrck, Pitman, Webster, Hyam, Williams, Kenlock & Lawrence. All have missed more than a dozen games, and much more in some cases - that's hard for a squad to get over. He'll be hoping for a bit of luck - but he seems too far gone
[Post edited 4 May 2017 11:39]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:19 - May 4 with 1688 viewsClausThomsen

Phil - a non political question.... on 10:53 - May 4 by itfcjoe

Whilst there are some decent points made, it is way OTT and a lot is just wrong.

About kids not getting games - Benyu and Morris should play here, No one was talking about Benyu before his loan and it has clearly improved him, Morris was just sent back from Woking as he couldn't get a game.

Kenlock had got in team ahead of Knudsen and then got injured

Spence to me and I'm sure a few others looks better than Emmanuel, and Emmanuel doesn't have that much potential if I'm honest.

The style of football isn't the best, but too many are so in for Mick now that they turn up and don't allow themselves to enjoy it even if it is anything - 3 of mates I went with weren't going to go but decided to and left before half time. the game wasn't that bad but that attitude has set in and it is hard to change.

I think it is time for Mick to go, but it doesn't look as though he will - this season hasn't been the best and a lot of that goes back to the Murphy deal - but once again we've had long term injuries suffered by Knudsen, Smith, Bishop, McGoldrck, Pitman, Webster, Hyam, Williams, Kenlock & Lawrence. All have missed more than a dozen games, and much more in some cases - that's hard for a squad to get over. He'll be hoping for a bit of luck - but he seems too far gone
[Post edited 4 May 2017 11:39]

What I'm sick of is excuses. None of them are valid for the mistakes McCarthy has made both this season and last.

Thinking McCarthy's gonna start playing youths is delusional and has no precedent. He's only played them this season because the man paying him £20k a week wrote a 5 point plan on a fag packet that said he has to.

The style of football is insane. Newcastle was the sanest team selection of the season and look what happened.

That list of "long term" injuries is ridiculous. Smith, Bishop, Webster, Hyam and Williams have been injured most of the season, the rest have been available pretty much the whole way.

If we broke the season down, game-by-game, you would see McCarthy's cock ups each step of the way. But if we remember the season vaguely, we can just blame the Murphy sale and the injuries.
Phil - a non political question.... on 11:38 - May 4 with 1672 viewsitfcjoe

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:19 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

What I'm sick of is excuses. None of them are valid for the mistakes McCarthy has made both this season and last.

Thinking McCarthy's gonna start playing youths is delusional and has no precedent. He's only played them this season because the man paying him £20k a week wrote a 5 point plan on a fag packet that said he has to.

The style of football is insane. Newcastle was the sanest team selection of the season and look what happened.

That list of "long term" injuries is ridiculous. Smith, Bishop, Webster, Hyam and Williams have been injured most of the season, the rest have been available pretty much the whole way.

If we broke the season down, game-by-game, you would see McCarthy's cock ups each step of the way. But if we remember the season vaguely, we can just blame the Murphy sale and the injuries.

What I'm sick of, is people that don't watch us talking about our style with such authority - it's insane.

I don't mean to have too much of a dig, most that don't go to games have their reasons and isn't about Super Fan status, but the way you talk about style and selection is ludicrous from someone who doesn't watch us week in week out. THere is absolutely zero nuance in any of your arguments - it's impossible to argue with someone who is so obtuse.

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:51 - May 4 with 1646 viewsClausThomsen

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:38 - May 4 by itfcjoe

What I'm sick of, is people that don't watch us talking about our style with such authority - it's insane.

I don't mean to have too much of a dig, most that don't go to games have their reasons and isn't about Super Fan status, but the way you talk about style and selection is ludicrous from someone who doesn't watch us week in week out. THere is absolutely zero nuance in any of your arguments - it's impossible to argue with someone who is so obtuse.

Hoofing long balls to Brett Pitman is insane. I don't need to sit in the rain on a plastic chair for an hour and a half to work that out - let alone repeatedly.

You're just spinning things in Mick's favour because you're petrified of his replacement.

I'll be watching every game next season brother!
Login to get fewer ads

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:53 - May 4 with 1638 viewsPJH

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:51 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

Hoofing long balls to Brett Pitman is insane. I don't need to sit in the rain on a plastic chair for an hour and a half to work that out - let alone repeatedly.

You're just spinning things in Mick's favour because you're petrified of his replacement.

True,especially as Pitman is usually on the bench.
Phil - a non political question.... on 11:58 - May 4 with 1622 viewsClausThomsen

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:53 - May 4 by PJH

True,especially as Pitman is usually on the bench.

Well he started 10 consecutive games last season as a targetman and didn't score once.

We've continued that successful strategy into this season, as recently as the Birmingham match on the 1st of April. You know, the game where we started with Skuse and Douglas in midfield.

Pitman should always be on the bench and should always be brought off the bench at some point. That's his best use in this team.
Phil - a non political question.... on 12:00 - May 4 with 1618 viewsVic

Phil - a non political question.... on 08:54 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

I'm going to hazard a guess that none of those teams have gone from 6th to 15th in 2 seasons under their experienced manager and are giving him another season.

Then they should do! You've highlighted to one of the biggest problems in modern football - the clamour for immediate success and no quarter given to a season or two of mediocrity. Even if we get the the prem it won't be enough. Look at that lot up the road, their message boards are almost as bad as this one currently. They've splashed all kinds of cash for the last however many years and still aren't happy. Sometimes you just have to get one with what you've got and be glad of the occasional fun times.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Phil - a non political question.... on 12:00 - May 4 with 1617 viewsartsbossbeard

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:58 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

Well he started 10 consecutive games last season as a targetman and didn't score once.

We've continued that successful strategy into this season, as recently as the Birmingham match on the 1st of April. You know, the game where we started with Skuse and Douglas in midfield.

Pitman should always be on the bench and should always be brought off the bench at some point. That's his best use in this team.

Is he "an" example or "the" example?

We've a right to know.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Phil - a non political question.... on 12:06 - May 4 with 1609 viewsitfcjoe

Phil - a non political question.... on 11:51 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

It's hardly spinning things in Mick's favour - I've said repeatedly that I think it's time for him to go.

Just that if you can't see that there are some mitigating circumstances for what has been a poor season it's just so one-eyed

Phil - a non political question.... on 12:31 - May 4 with 1577 viewsClausThomsen

Phil - a non political question.... on 12:06 - May 4 by itfcjoe

It's hardly spinning things in Mick's favour - I've said repeatedly that I think it's time for him to go.

Just that if you can't see that there are some mitigating circumstances for what has been a poor season it's just so one-eyed

There's been mitigating circumstances, but not nearly enough to warrant a drop of around 10 league places in a season.

This isn't a young manager learning his trade, this is a 58 year old on £1 million a year.

At the very least, I'd expect a manager of his experience to have someone lined up for Murphy if he left. He didn't, he made bids for players in the same division at clubs that weren't looking to sell. And then, with 3 months more time to scout, he did the exact same thing in January.

At least we agree that it's time for him to go. Hopefully Evans sees it the same.
Phil - a non political question.... on 00:34 - May 5 with 1511 viewsHARRY10

Phil - a non political question.... on 12:31 - May 4 by ClausThomsen

There's been mitigating circumstances, but not nearly enough to warrant a drop of around 10 league places in a season.

This isn't a young manager learning his trade, this is a 58 year old on £1 million a year.

At the very least, I'd expect a manager of his experience to have someone lined up for Murphy if he left. He didn't, he made bids for players in the same division at clubs that weren't looking to sell. And then, with 3 months more time to scout, he did the exact same thing in January.

At least we agree that it's time for him to go. Hopefully Evans sees it the same.

Evans sees the bottom line on the balance sheet, that's all.

We drop ST's sales so we have less money to spend. MM rummages in the bargain basement, brings in a PL loan or two and the ubiquitous 'seasoned pro (old has been). The playing style will be based on avoiding defeat, Milne will remind of the 5 year plan which will all come together ... soon.

The only coming together is fans huddled together for warmth on a bitterly cold Tuesday night v Barnsley, watching a few old favourites and any number of players who will be long forgotten a season or two later.

Still MM's contract ends in 2018 and we may see a new manager... and a new league if things don't change before then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024