Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cole Skuse 13:39 - May 7 with 4921 viewsOsborneOneNil

Has he actually touched the ball? Or is he too busy being an excellent defensive midfielder and protecting our defence?
Cole Skuse on 16:10 - May 7 with 1863 viewsNo9

Cole Skuse on 16:05 - May 7 by Superfrans

I'm not sure I understand your point...

The point is simple:-
If you have something that you put in place & it doesn't work & you persist with it, despite the fact it doesn't work, it is supposedly a sign of madness.

Playing CS as an additional CB has NOT worked. The goals agaisnt show that & the failure to record better than 50% home wins is an additional indicator.

MM plays 'the thin blue line' with CS as a cover for the CB's - it ha NOT worked, that is why for the last 2 seasons Bart has been PoY.
Cole Skuse on 16:20 - May 7 with 1856 viewsSuperfrans

Cole Skuse on 16:10 - May 7 by No9

The point is simple:-
If you have something that you put in place & it doesn't work & you persist with it, despite the fact it doesn't work, it is supposedly a sign of madness.

Playing CS as an additional CB has NOT worked. The goals agaisnt show that & the failure to record better than 50% home wins is an additional indicator.

MM plays 'the thin blue line' with CS as a cover for the CB's - it ha NOT worked, that is why for the last 2 seasons Bart has been PoY.

Skuse doesn't play as an extra centre back. Never has done. He plays as a standard holding midfielder ahead of a back four (in 442) or three central defenders (in 5311 or 3511).

But I agree that Skuse leaves us slightly short in midfield - he's not a Kante, who can enforce as a holding midfielder AND find the creative ball going forward. But (as I've said elsewhere) we're a middling Championship side, we can't afford Kante or someone of that standard. When we've looked best is when Skuse has played alongside Huws and Ward, which gives us the best balance between defence and creativity.

All of that being said, It's self evident where our problem is.

We finished 16th in the division - on goals conceded only 9 teams are better than us, on goals scored there 19 teams are ahead of us. We don't score enough goals.

Which means, the defence is fine, leave it as it is, or replace where necessary (e.g. If Berra leaves). We need more creativity from midfield and strikers who can put the ball away.

It really isn't much more complicated than that.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Cole Skuse on 16:29 - May 7 with 1844 viewsNo9

Cole Skuse on 16:20 - May 7 by Superfrans

Skuse doesn't play as an extra centre back. Never has done. He plays as a standard holding midfielder ahead of a back four (in 442) or three central defenders (in 5311 or 3511).

But I agree that Skuse leaves us slightly short in midfield - he's not a Kante, who can enforce as a holding midfielder AND find the creative ball going forward. But (as I've said elsewhere) we're a middling Championship side, we can't afford Kante or someone of that standard. When we've looked best is when Skuse has played alongside Huws and Ward, which gives us the best balance between defence and creativity.

All of that being said, It's self evident where our problem is.

We finished 16th in the division - on goals conceded only 9 teams are better than us, on goals scored there 19 teams are ahead of us. We don't score enough goals.

Which means, the defence is fine, leave it as it is, or replace where necessary (e.g. If Berra leaves). We need more creativity from midfield and strikers who can put the ball away.

It really isn't much more complicated than that.

'Skuse leaves us, 'slightly short in midfield', is abit of an understatement.
I am surpised you don't consider Skuse as an additional CB when many seem to be saying that is his role and value to the team. His aboilty to break up attsacks isn't bad (but not brilliant) his distribution of the ball is terrible.
I agree a Kante is unafforable however, look at the number of teams tnat have come to PR this season and controlled midfield - almost all. Perhaps new scouts are the solution.
I would disagree that Town have looked their best when Skuse has played alongside Ward & Huws simply because when Skuse was out, the midfield looked mush better & certainly more mobile.
But, I & I'm assuming you, are not Pro' football managers so the ultimate question has to be why MM & TC persist in a midfield that doesn't work? If it did Town would not have conceded so much territory to the opposition as they have.
Cole Skuse on 16:57 - May 7 with 1827 viewsSuperfrans

Cole Skuse on 16:29 - May 7 by No9

'Skuse leaves us, 'slightly short in midfield', is abit of an understatement.
I am surpised you don't consider Skuse as an additional CB when many seem to be saying that is his role and value to the team. His aboilty to break up attsacks isn't bad (but not brilliant) his distribution of the ball is terrible.
I agree a Kante is unafforable however, look at the number of teams tnat have come to PR this season and controlled midfield - almost all. Perhaps new scouts are the solution.
I would disagree that Town have looked their best when Skuse has played alongside Ward & Huws simply because when Skuse was out, the midfield looked mush better & certainly more mobile.
But, I & I'm assuming you, are not Pro' football managers so the ultimate question has to be why MM & TC persist in a midfield that doesn't work? If it did Town would not have conceded so much territory to the opposition as they have.

I don't consider him as an extra CB because that isn't how he is played - he's played as a conventional holding midfield player.

I suspect the reason we persist with it is because we don't have too many options. We don't have the cash to go out and just buy new players. But I'd also suggest that Huws and Ward have offered a glimpse of what the solution is - let Skuse do what he is good at and have other players doing the creating.

Fundamentally, our problem this season has been our lack of creative options. Fact is. If you don't have effective attacking players, the ball goes forward, but just comes straight back again. More pressure on the midfield, more on defence and eventually it breaks. That's our problem.

And, yes, I am a professional manager. I'm Jurgen Klopp.
😉👍🏻
[Post edited 7 May 2017 16:59]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Cole Skuse on 20:11 - May 7 with 1797 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Arguably the worst player on the pitch today alongside Huws and Ward. But his TWTD fan club and Super Pr1ck McCarthy will be pampering him as they always do.
Cole Skuse on 20:44 - May 7 with 1772 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cole Skuse on 20:11 - May 7 by Mach_foreignBlue

Arguably the worst player on the pitch today alongside Huws and Ward. But his TWTD fan club and Super Pr1ck McCarthy will be pampering him as they always do.

Correct. Fries my mind that he's a shoe in.
Cole Skuse on 21:20 - May 7 with 1757 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Cole Skuse on 20:44 - May 7 by OsborneOneNil

Correct. Fries my mind that he's a shoe in.

And we have to put up with another 12 months of him being an automatic starter.

Horribly poor player. No wonder that when he wasn't in the team our February performances were decent.

He can't pass, can't tackle, can't leap, can't win a header, too nice to be hard for an opponent. Yet... he's deemed by some as an excellent defensive midfielder who is vital for our team.

Another 12 months of watching his strolling.
[Post edited 7 May 2017 21:21]
Cole Skuse on 23:46 - May 7 with 1718 viewsEireannach_gorm

Cole Skuse on 13:59 - May 7 by braveblue

He is useless. Has been for years. One of our biggest problems.

He is not useless as he is the best defensive midfielder in the squad. This is a sad reflection on the standard of our midfielders. He is always going to be a permanent fixture in the team because there is no one better. His number of goals for the team is an actual joke. Our biggest problem is how shallow our pool of midfielders is.
Login to get fewer ads

Cole Skuse on 01:01 - May 8 with 1693 viewsbournemouthblue

Cole Skuse on 13:46 - May 7 by Vaughan8

He could play in the Premier league as well apparently......

His comments in the week re save and Skuse being similar tells me Mick will never change. Skuse will play every game and he does very little.

Skuse is defensively sound but very limited imho

Dave is a better technical footballer than him for sure, he is better on the ball and keeps the game flowing

In the 352, Skuse gets the ball in the middle in space and has little idea of what to do with it. I don't see why we can't have both of them, they both have their uses

MM's biggest problem was playing them as a pair which really didn't work, it ended up being a Skuglas version 2. That wasn't the fault of Dave, it was poor team selection from MM.

I'll be fine with us not signing Dave if we have some tempo dictating dynamo coming in but not if it's another faceless journeyman like Coke, Douglas or Green of previous seasons

Players more like Tabb and Hunt are required if we are going down that route

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cole Skuse on 07:23 - May 8 with 1668 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Cole Skuse on 20:11 - May 7 by Mach_foreignBlue

Funny that I can't see any threads slating Huws and Ward, isn't it?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024