Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I don't know what I am 19:47 - May 7 with 4230 viewsDolly2.0

I'm not a Mick inner or a Mick outer.

Part of me thinks, yes, the football is dreadful for the most part. I'm so bored going to games, except some odd exceptions such as Newcastle at home. But then part of me thinks he's had so little to spend on players, what do we expect? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

After Lincoln I wanted him gone. That performance was embarrassing, and you can't really blame money as I doubt Lincoln have spent more than us. But then I mellowed over the following weeks thinking is anyone really going to do any better?

I don't like change, never liked it. I guess I have a 'things could be worse' outlook. Maybe, like Mick, I'm a bit risk-averse.

Maybe I should be described as a Mick-fencer.

Here's my question though - is there anyone in the Championship who's doing better than Mick but on less funds? Genuine question, I don't follow other clubs very closely so I really don't know.

There's quite a few on here who are vociferous about wanting Mick gone. But hand on heart, how confident are you that getting rid wouldn't be simply out of the frying pan into the fire (or worse)? I'm not happy with how things are... but I also don't think I've got the balls to gamble on the club's future by getting shot and hoping Jesus* is waiting to take us forward.

*other deities are available

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I don't know what I am on 19:50 - May 7 with 2571 viewstextbackup

Just because he's not got money to spend that doesn't mean he has to play the way he does. That's my issue with him.
He could atleast try to read a coaching book, to play some actual football

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I don't know what I am on 19:52 - May 7 with 2558 viewsSuperfrans

Simon Grayson has done a good job at Preston on relatively low budgets and Nigel Clough at Burton. Maybe the fella at Huddersfield, whose name I've just forgotten...

But that isn't really a comment on what Mick has achieved on the budget.

And, for what it's worth, your post pretty much exactly describes my position on the current situation.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I don't know what I am on 19:53 - May 7 with 2544 viewsbrogansnose

I think that Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley has done well on the funding that he has. His side plays good football, not so good at defending, and he has had the best players in his squad sold in the January window and still managed to keep them doing alright. It may well catch up with him next season.
I don't know what I am on 20:01 - May 7 with 2520 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 19:50 - May 7 by textbackup

Just because he's not got money to spend that doesn't mean he has to play the way he does. That's my issue with him.

Well my thinking is if you've only got the money to buy sh!t players then you're kind of forced to play sh!t football.

You can't play silky attacking football if you can't afford any silky attacking players.

I don't know what I am on 20:04 - May 7 with 2503 viewstextbackup

I don't know what I am on 20:01 - May 7 by Dolly2.0

Well my thinking is if you've only got the money to buy sh!t players then you're kind of forced to play sh!t football.

You can't play silky attacking football if you can't afford any silky attacking players.

Yes and no.

No reason why you can't atleast try and make the football more attractive, even with lesser players

I don't know what I am on 20:04 - May 7 with 2500 viewschristiand

Most are saying that if we did get someone else in that it would be a gamble or be careful what you wish for nonsense. Why can't it be a positive move making that change? I believe we need our next manager to be someone that is a good coach and works with the players on formation and patterns of play to improve the drab football that is currently served up to us long suffering fans. MM isn't a coach, but employing someone like Glenn Hoddle who understands different formations and can work with players on the training ground is exactly the type of manager we need next. MM's managerial approach is very much like him as a person, quite dull and predictable. It hasn't been just this season though the last 20 months the football has got steadily worse, but I do believe we have some capable players in our squad. I suppose what I'm saying is with the right person at the helm who can coach properly fortunes can change quickly. Along with a few shrewd signings of quality the excitement can return to Portman Road. The one thing I am sure of is this won't happen under MM and he needs to go asap.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

I don't know what I am on 20:04 - May 7 with 2496 viewsStokieBlue

Did MM ever play silky attacking football?

The only side of his I can remember which wasn't nearly totally defensive and attritional was his Wolves side when he got promoted with his flying wingers.

Can we find some examples of where he has been given the funds and spent them on a free-flowing, attacking side which isn't Wolves from 2008?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

I don't know what I am on 20:07 - May 7 with 2480 viewsbrogansnose

Bournemouth got promoted from L3 with cheap players. Doncaster, dubbed the Arsenal of the North, when they got promoted from L3. Swansea when they got promoted from L3.

I'm convinced that there are silky players down there and its down to how they're coached, put together and tactics used.
Login to get fewer ads

I don't know what I am on 20:08 - May 7 with 2472 viewsTIB

This. We're sh*t at playing sh*t football...so why not just let the players play and expand your Fred Flinstone tactics!? I wouldn't mind losing if we tried to play somewhat decent football.

I get we have limited funds but I still think the squad we have is better than league position says...the dingle is just lost in his own pre-historic world and we've never recovered from the loss of Murphy...despite the mighty purchases of Moore and Samuel

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

I don't know what I am on 20:09 - May 7 with 2461 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:04 - May 7 by StokieBlue

Did MM ever play silky attacking football?

The only side of his I can remember which wasn't nearly totally defensive and attritional was his Wolves side when he got promoted with his flying wingers.

Can we find some examples of where he has been given the funds and spent them on a free-flowing, attacking side which isn't Wolves from 2008?

SB

Why would you dismiss Wolves of 2008? I'd love it if Mick could get a couple of wingers and replicate that.

I don't know what I am on 20:12 - May 7 with 2445 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I sort of came off the fence and went back to mick in

Now I'm back on the fence to be fair.

I won't be annoyed if he goes. But I expect things to get worse on the pitch when he does.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

I don't know what I am on 20:12 - May 7 with 2441 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:04 - May 7 by textbackup

Yes and no.

No reason why you can't atleast try and make the football more attractive, even with lesser players

But I guess his thinking (rightly or wrongly) is if we suddenly started trying to play like that, the players he has at his disposal would get tonked every week. So he plays safe.

I don't know what I am on 20:13 - May 7 with 2432 viewsStokieBlue

I don't know what I am on 20:09 - May 7 by Dolly2.0

Why would you dismiss Wolves of 2008? I'd love it if Mick could get a couple of wingers and replicate that.

I've not dismissed Wolves of 2008 at all, they were a very good side.

I've said provide another example of him achieving free-flowing attacking football. He's done it once as far as I can remember in 5 longish spells at various clubs, some with money. I'm asking you to provide evidence that he should be given money and time to create such a side at ITFC.

If you can provide it then that would be excellent as from the evidence I can see he is excellent at saving and keeping teams up (which he did amazingly well) but doesn't have a history of building attacking free-flowing sides which you cited you wanted in your previous post.

SB

I don't know what I am on 20:13 - May 7 with 2432 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:12 - May 7 by The_Romford_Blue

I won't be annoyed if he goes. But I expect things to get worse on the pitch when he does.

The great and the good on here can't seem to pick who our saviour would be, so I've no faith in Evans doing it.

I don't know what I am on 20:15 - May 7 with 2415 viewschristiand

Texters they are my thoughts entirely. He seems to use this as an excuse to hide behind. However, when he is given money by Wolves they're still shockingly abject and one dimensional. The fact we have smaller, less physical strikers in Sears, McGoldrick and Pitman and he still persisted with lumping the ball forwards as if Murphy was still playing shows his shortcomings. Yes Murphy left at the beginning of the new season, but change the pattern of play. This has never been addressed until more recently in the season. How can the first team play a direct style of play, when all our other teams below them play a passing style of play? Says it all really!

I don't know what I am on 20:19 - May 7 with 2396 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:13 - May 7 by StokieBlue

I've not dismissed Wolves of 2008 at all, they were a very good side.

I've said provide another example of him achieving free-flowing attacking football. He's done it once as far as I can remember in 5 longish spells at various clubs, some with money. I'm asking you to provide evidence that he should be given money and time to create such a side at ITFC.

If you can provide it then that would be excellent as from the evidence I can see he is excellent at saving and keeping teams up (which he did amazingly well) but doesn't have a history of building attacking free-flowing sides which you cited you wanted in your previous post.

SB

When I say dismissed I mean why are you looking for other examples? I imagine Mick would love to get us playing like that. He probably wanted all his teams to play like that (as it was successful). You don't think it was a fluke do you?

I've not actually said "he should be given money and time to create such a side at ITFC." But I'm pretty sure he'd be doing better than the dull football we have if he had more money to spend on better players. Stands to reason, IMO.

I don't know what I am on 20:30 - May 7 with 2358 viewsStokieBlue

I don't know what I am on 20:19 - May 7 by Dolly2.0

When I say dismissed I mean why are you looking for other examples? I imagine Mick would love to get us playing like that. He probably wanted all his teams to play like that (as it was successful). You don't think it was a fluke do you?

I've not actually said "he should be given money and time to create such a side at ITFC." But I'm pretty sure he'd be doing better than the dull football we have if he had more money to spend on better players. Stands to reason, IMO.

OK, to play devils advocate:

Keane took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to promotion in a single season playing some decent stuff.

Jewell took Wigan up through the divisions playing some very nice football.

So if we are judging managers on one club performance should we get either of those two back? I am assuming not, hence why I asked for further examples. Are the two examples above flukes?

Bottom line, I am not convinced that even with money, MM has it in him anymore to create an attacking, fluid side. His first thought is almost always to counter the opposition rather than to play to our strengths.

SB

I don't know what I am on 20:33 - May 7 with 2345 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:30 - May 7 by StokieBlue

OK, to play devils advocate:

Keane took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to promotion in a single season playing some decent stuff.

Jewell took Wigan up through the divisions playing some very nice football.

So if we are judging managers on one club performance should we get either of those two back? I am assuming not, hence why I asked for further examples. Are the two examples above flukes?

Bottom line, I am not convinced that even with money, MM has it in him anymore to create an attacking, fluid side. His first thought is almost always to counter the opposition rather than to play to our strengths.

SB

You may be right.

In your Keane example, though, he had a lot of money. Not sure about Jewell.

I don't know what I am on 20:36 - May 7 with 2333 viewsStokieBlue

I don't know what I am on 20:33 - May 7 by Dolly2.0

You may be right.

In your Keane example, though, he had a lot of money. Not sure about Jewell.

Agreed, Keane was and is a tool.

But the point is, they both did it with one club and nobody else. Why do you think MM has it in him to create an attacking side here when there seems very little evidence to suggest he would?

I guess this is the crux of it, football (delightfully) is a game of opinions and people disagree virtually all the time. If he gets money, turns it around and plays proper football then I'll eat humble pie. I just don't think he has it in him - he's a spent force unfortunately.

SB

I don't know what I am on 20:41 - May 7 with 2314 viewsDolly2.0

I don't know what I am on 20:36 - May 7 by StokieBlue

Agreed, Keane was and is a tool.

But the point is, they both did it with one club and nobody else. Why do you think MM has it in him to create an attacking side here when there seems very little evidence to suggest he would?

I guess this is the crux of it, football (delightfully) is a game of opinions and people disagree virtually all the time. If he gets money, turns it around and plays proper football then I'll eat humble pie. I just don't think he has it in him - he's a spent force unfortunately.

SB

He has tried to get wingers in that haven't worked out (Oar, Stewart).

I'm just saying I think he'd do a lot better with some decent funds. When you're picking up a non-league reserve striker it does appear he hasn't got a pot to piss in.

Nobody WANTS to shop in Poundland!

I don't know what I am on 20:43 - May 7 with 2297 viewstextbackup

I don't know what I am on 20:12 - May 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Why on earth would things get worse when he goes? Why the hell do people think he is the only manager that could achieve such greatness of 16th with these players? I just don't fcking get this

I don't know what I am on 20:46 - May 7 with 2288 viewschristiand

I don't know what I am on 20:43 - May 7 by textbackup

Why on earth would things get worse when he goes? Why the hell do people think he is the only manager that could achieve such greatness of 16th with these players? I just don't fcking get this

Spot on, nor do I? Someone else might come and change things around at the club who'd have thought it? Perhaps there are too many buying into MM's own hype!?

I don't know what I am on 20:50 - May 7 with 2268 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I don't know what I am on 20:43 - May 7 by textbackup

Because we have spent 3m in five seasons if that

And it's not that a new manager can't. But it's that Evans won't appoint someone who can. It'll be a boring apppintment.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

I don't know what I am on 20:53 - May 7 with 2238 viewsGarv

It's not the fans' job to recruit a manager, the hierarchy at the club should be able to do that.

Maybe they don't want to, or aren't up to it. Seems a mess though.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I don't know what I am on 21:05 - May 7 with 2211 viewstextbackup

I don't know what I am on 20:50 - May 7 by The_Romford_Blue

Because we have spent 3m in five seasons if that

And it's not that a new manager can't. But it's that Evans won't appoint someone who can. It'll be a boring apppintment.

He appointed MM, don't get much more boring than that

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024