Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' 21:19 - May 10 with 11187 viewsElderGrizzly

Obviously planned, but still looks amateurish

I particularly like this snippet

[Post edited 10 May 2017 21:22]
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:21 - May 11 with 2024 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:57 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

That's not by your calculations. Those estimates are freely available on the internet and somebody else has already posted them.

You are assuming that we would had the same growth and investment by business had the rate stayed at the same level.

Attractive tax rates encourage enterprise which increases growth and increases the tax take.

This was proved when Thatcher cut the higher rate of tax in 1979. The tax take went up.

As JFK said:
‘the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now … The purpose of cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus.’

Would you like to see my working out ?
The rest is just finding stuff to support your ideology.
I'll show you anyway....20x/100=49B, therefore x=245B
28/100 × 245B =68.6B
68.6 - 49=£19.6 Billion
No copy and paste brain here Glassers ! Ps........WELCOME BACK to my world

The edit was tuff to stuff.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 9:26]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:22 - May 11 with 2023 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:14 - May 11 by No9

"This was proved when Thatcher cut the higher rate of tax in 1979. The tax take went up."

Thatcher cut the top rate of tax YES
BUT she increased the tax take significantly at the bottom by ditching allowances effectively those on the base rate paid considerably more & it was painful for many

Maybe you are too young to recall her being renamed, Reverse Robin Hood?

Thatcher actually cut basic rate of income tax to 30% from 33% and to 25% in 1988.

Here is the thing. In 1986-87, the best-paid 1% in the country contributed just 14% of all income tax. Once the top rate fell from 60p to 40p, the proportion paid by the richest 1% cent soared to 21% where it stayed.

Lower taxes lead to higher tax take.

Now you can view taxes one of two ways. You can think it is a system to raise revenues in order to pay more services. And if you believe that then you want that system to work efficiently and find the best rates which collects, over the long term, the highest take.

Or you can think of tax as a punitive tool to punish the rich and make them pay what you believe is there "fair share". Even though this is proven to reduce the tax take.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:27 - May 11 with 2017 viewschicoazul

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 23:42 - May 10 by Dolly2.0

How can you write a suicide note if you're already dead?

Ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:32 - May 11 with 2012 viewsCoastalblue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:19 - May 11 by No9

& I bet the woman at the IFS who said this would not know how to manage on £10 an hour.

Thatcher introduced the FIS it was a bed idea as it let low quality firms pay very low wages for the taxpayer to supplement.
This taxpaye subsidisation of wealthy organisations has gone on far too long and hosul stop.
If the population is properly paid and can afford to buy murchandise & services they will soo come back.

Why do you make it seem right to support the wealthy but not the poor ?

Surely there has to be a balance? one that doesn't appear to be getting met by either side at the moment?
Welfare needs boosting as does areas of infrastructure, at the moment one of the only ways we have of raising the capital to do this is via businesses being succesful, raising funds and employing people. The harder we make it for those businesses to survive and thrive the less we have to spend on the other stuff. However, these businesses also have to accept some social responsibility, both in terms of taxes raised and social welfare.

At the moment the arguments seem to be give everybody everything and let the rich pay on one side and the survival of the fittest on the other.

We're in a desperate way.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:41 - May 11 with 1995 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:22 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Thatcher actually cut basic rate of income tax to 30% from 33% and to 25% in 1988.

Here is the thing. In 1986-87, the best-paid 1% in the country contributed just 14% of all income tax. Once the top rate fell from 60p to 40p, the proportion paid by the richest 1% cent soared to 21% where it stayed.

Now you can view taxes one of two ways. You can think it is a system to raise revenues in order to pay more services. And if you believe that then you want that system to work efficiently and find the best rates which collects, over the long term, the highest take.

Or you can think of tax as a punitive tool to punish the rich and make them pay what you believe is there "fair share". Even though this is proven to reduce the tax take.

As someone who was working before Thatcher came to government I can tell you the taxes I paid went up considerably as I explained previously the tax rate may have been cut but allowances went out the window leaving us worse of so YES the treasury got more because we who were not at the top end paid paid much more of our income into the treasury.
& there was a considerable hike it VAT, the Uk went from being a not so to a very expesive place to live.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:44 - May 11 with 1993 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:32 - May 11 by Coastalblue

Surely there has to be a balance? one that doesn't appear to be getting met by either side at the moment?
Welfare needs boosting as does areas of infrastructure, at the moment one of the only ways we have of raising the capital to do this is via businesses being succesful, raising funds and employing people. The harder we make it for those businesses to survive and thrive the less we have to spend on the other stuff. However, these businesses also have to accept some social responsibility, both in terms of taxes raised and social welfare.

At the moment the arguments seem to be give everybody everything and let the rich pay on one side and the survival of the fittest on the other.

We're in a desperate way.

There has to be a way and making the poor poorer and more of them will only make things much worse.

We cannot continue to hand out large wads of cash to corporations and not get anything back.

As we see now public services are in crisis & it is going to get much worse as the real squeeze is now about to commence.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 13:09 - May 11 with 1944 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It must have been those pesky Russians again.....so they must back May !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 13:41 - May 11 with 1932 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:41 - May 11 by No9

As someone who was working before Thatcher came to government I can tell you the taxes I paid went up considerably as I explained previously the tax rate may have been cut but allowances went out the window leaving us worse of so YES the treasury got more because we who were not at the top end paid paid much more of our income into the treasury.
& there was a considerable hike it VAT, the Uk went from being a not so to a very expesive place to live.

I can't go back that far, but personally I had a £55 hike in monthly tax deductions in April 16 (income + NIC) and another £45 this April, with no changes in income March-April in each year. So that's an extra £100 a month into the treasury over a 13 month period. £1,200 of tax rises in a year that we don't hear anything about.

Funny how the increases in taxable allowance that we hear so much about seem to be always seem to be offset by stealthier hits.

It's a myth that the Tories are low tax party. Maybe for their business owner friends who get nice tax breaks or are allowed to carry out activities whilst registered offshore.

But it's also the wrong argument. Who take more tax is the wrong question. We should be able to have open, transparent discussions about what tax is needed to achieve our societal aims. Winning a p1ssing contest with tax giveaways whilst taking it back in a stealth tax doesn't move us anywhere other than to a point of mistrust in politicians.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:32 - May 11 with 1914 viewsGromheort

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:22 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

The 'lower taxes lead to higher tax take' line used by GlasgowBlue is taken straight from supply-side economics (which has overall been discredited since Thatcherism quadrupled unemployment). You could of course be more specific and refer to the empirical evidence into the so-called Laffer Curve. What is typically ignored by right wingers, however, is that Curve is typically multi-peaked. Ironically, it is therefore just as likely to support the introduction of tax increase.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:36 - May 11 with 1898 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:32 - May 11 by Gromheort

The 'lower taxes lead to higher tax take' line used by GlasgowBlue is taken straight from supply-side economics (which has overall been discredited since Thatcherism quadrupled unemployment). You could of course be more specific and refer to the empirical evidence into the so-called Laffer Curve. What is typically ignored by right wingers, however, is that Curve is typically multi-peaked. Ironically, it is therefore just as likely to support the introduction of tax increase.

Welcome to TWTD. I feel extremely privileged that as an Ipswich Town fan, you have joined this board and made your first ever post as a critique of my view rather than the current state of our great club.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:36 - May 11 with 1897 viewsArcher4721

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:32 - May 11 by Gromheort

Excellent post.

But I fear most of that will have gone over the top of GlasgowBlue's head I'm afraid
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:37 - May 11 with 1892 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:36 - May 11 by Archer4721

Excellent post.

But I fear most of that will have gone over the top of GlasgowBlue's head I'm afraid

And as if by magic.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:45 - May 11 with 1880 viewsGromheort

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:36 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Welcome to TWTD. I feel extremely privileged that as an Ipswich Town fan, you have joined this board and made your first ever post as a critique of my view rather than the current state of our great club.

Just happen to be writing an essay on the subject. Terribly dully stuff, but I did have a chortle over how even supply side economics doesn't support Tory tales...
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:51 - May 11 with 1868 viewsElderGrizzly

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 23:37 - May 10 by Dolly2.0

You claim to be a Liberal Democrat but only ever attack Labour. The Tories are doing a great job in your eyes?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen you post anything positive about the LD's either.

Yes there's a General Election going on. Here's an idea, how about posting a reason we should vote for your party rather than your constant attacks on Labour? Just a thought.

No claim about it, as is quite obvious from my very prominent local activity in the LD campaign/region.

I post plenty, but you obviously don't see it, or you had better things to do?

There are two very simple reasons to vote LD. They will stop the current Brexit shambles and fund education to a level above Labour.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:52 - May 11 with 1863 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:51 - May 11 by ElderGrizzly

No claim about it, as is quite obvious from my very prominent local activity in the LD campaign/region.

There are two very simple reasons to vote LD. They will stop the current Brexit shambles and fund education to a level above Labour.

I thought you worked in the FO? Does your contract allow you to be politically active?

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 15:00 - May 11 with 1847 viewsArcher4721

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:37 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

And as if by magic.

Well I like to give credit where it's due.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 15:04 - May 11 with 1830 viewsArcher4721

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 14:51 - May 11 by ElderGrizzly

Chuckle... Now what about your beloved Tories.

You have never ever posted anything criticising the Tories which quite frankly is a little odd for committed Lib Dim as you portray yourself as.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 15:07]
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 15:07 - May 11 with 1828 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 07:52 - May 11 by Coastalblue

We're a country on a steep downward trajectory which Brexit will most likely accelerate, giving companies less reason to invest here is not ging to help that.

What we should probably do is accept that we are going to end up taking our place as a middle of the pack average country, no longer a world leader, and cut our cloth accordingly. No one seems to want to accept that though.

Sounds depressingly like supporting Ipswich!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024