Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' 21:19 - May 10 with 11185 viewsElderGrizzly

Obviously planned, but still looks amateurish

I particularly like this snippet

[Post edited 10 May 2017 21:22]
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:24 - May 11 with 2556 viewsDolly2.0

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 23:45 - May 10 by Dolly2.0

I don't though.

Why have you down arrowed this Ryorry? Just a quick glance at my posting history will show that I don't post something positive about Labour every day. I don't even post something positive about Labour every week!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:26 - May 11 with 2556 viewslowhouseblue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:21 - May 11 by No9

I haven't forgotten British Rail, on the Norwich Liverpool Street run they were imesuarbly better than any of the private operators and much cheaper.
The model that Andrew Adonis ran on the east Coast mainline was very good & returned money to the treasury.
For the £4 Bn a year being handed out to rail operators now we should all be travelling first class and getting free meals & wine.
Generally UK rail services are up to X6 more expensive then their continetal counterparts

Don't you find it intersting that the tories won't have a UK nationalised rail but they pay considerable sums of money to European (& others ) nationalised companies to run rail here?

'For the £4 Bn a year being handed out to rail operators now we should all be travelling first class and getting free meals & wine. ' is that a manifesto commitment?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:29 - May 11 with 2551 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:21 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

So you agree that a lower corporation Tax rate made Business in Britain more attractive and contributed to the recovery and increased growth. Which means that the tax take in 2016 is £6billion more than it was in 2010.

The reduced amounts your link highlights are based in the growth we had. Would we have had that growth if British business remained uncompetitive whilst we were attempting to cone out if a recession?

So the reduced amounts are all "if my aunty had bollox she'd be my uncle".
[Post edited 11 May 2017 9:07]

How can British business be competitive when productivity is still behind what it was pre-recssion ?

https://www.ft.com/content/8d5297f2-19de-11e7-bcac-6d03d067f81f

Since 2010 how much money has the taxpayer handed to corporations?
The LEP's are throwing taxpayer cash about like confetti
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:30 - May 11 with 2547 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:26 - May 11 by lowhouseblue

'For the £4 Bn a year being handed out to rail operators now we should all be travelling first class and getting free meals & wine. ' is that a manifesto commitment?

Don't be silly the money goes into the pockets of the non UK rail companies we just have to pay a fortune to travel in sh!t trains.
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:31 - May 11 with 2547 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 23:30 - May 10 by StokieBlue

That's total nonsense on corporation tax.

It's massively lower in Ireland and is soon to be massively lower in the US. We are leaving the EU and should be trying to attract companies to these shores, not taxing them to the hilt. With the companies comes jobs and revenues - no chance of them coming here under the rates Labour are proposing.

I reiterate, total nonsense and the way to completely ruin this country.

SB

Let's have a race to the bottom 0% corporation tax, free labour but they give us somewhere to live until retirement at 75 at which point you're out and have to fend for yourself. If you are really good they will give you some food rather than expecting you to find time to grow your own !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:33 - May 11 with 2538 viewsStokieBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 07:29 - May 11 by No9

Your analysis is correct. Another way the tories hiked up tax on the low paid in the 80's they said they'd bring down the rate of tax - BUT to pay for it they cancelled what you could offset in allowances the net result was, at the lower end of the pay scale, you actually paid more tax not less.

There has been far too much corproate welfare & the fact corporation tax in the USA is 34% hasn't deterred too many companies for operating there

That's not really true, the largest US companies keep their money out of the country as the tax is so high. So essentially they aren't paying that tax.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

on 08:34 - May 11 with 2535 views_

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:31 - May 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Let's have a race to the bottom 0% corporation tax, free labour but they give us somewhere to live until retirement at 75 at which point you're out and have to fend for yourself. If you are really good they will give you some food rather than expecting you to find time to grow your own !

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:37 - May 11 with 2534 viewsnbsiyag

The Torygraph's front page says Corby wants to "take us back to the 1970s"

Yes please, we had much better football then! TWTD
Login to get fewer ads

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:39 - May 11 with 2523 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:33 - May 11 by StokieBlue

That's not really true, the largest US companies keep their money out of the country as the tax is so high. So essentially they aren't paying that tax.

SB

Delaware?
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:40 - May 11 with 2523 viewsStokieBlue

That's not what I said at all. You seem to always take things to the extreme.

I've not even said lower the tax, I just think a big hike at the same time we are leaving the single market is a double shock that many businesses won't be able to absorb. That means less jobs in the long run.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:41 - May 11 with 2515 viewshype313

It's completely irrelevant, they won't get anywhere near power, and that suits Corbyn as he prefers to be stood on the sidelines continuing as a pressure movement.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:44 - May 11 with 2503 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ah. Now I remember why.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:44 - May 11 with 2502 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:40 - May 11 by StokieBlue

I've not even said lower the tax, I just think a big hike at the same time we are leaving the single market is a double shock that many businesses won't be able to absorb. That means less jobs in the long run.

SB

I agree leaving the EU is going to be a big shock & I see a lot of companies exploring exit routes.
Maybe this is the time when new ideas have to take off?
I see Finland is exploring an unemployed wage.
I see Germany is exploring new ways to emply people to limit the damage that will be done to employment when robots take over.

But here all I see is a population that sees everything as becoming unaffordable = you get very little shopping for a hundered & fifty quid.

So up taxes or start a programme of euthanasia?
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:47 - May 11 with 2495 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 07:28 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Corporation Tax rate in 2010 28%. Tax take £43 billion
Corporation Tax rate in 2016 20%. Tax take £49 billion.

By my calculations that's £19.6 billions lost tax/year (if it had been kept at 28%)that need not have been taken from education, health, sickness benefits etc......no wonder the rich are getting richer....now where is that trickle down ?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:54 - May 11 with 2478 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 07:28 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Corporation Tax rate in 2010 28%. Tax take £43 billion
Corporation Tax rate in 2016 20%. Tax take £49 billion.

All that shows is that corporations are guilty of profiteering
& looking at how some have been fleecing the public they should have paid a whole lot more
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:57 - May 11 with 2473 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:47 - May 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

By my calculations that's £19.6 billions lost tax/year (if it had been kept at 28%)that need not have been taken from education, health, sickness benefits etc......no wonder the rich are getting richer....now where is that trickle down ?

That's not by your calculations. Those estimates are freely available on the internet and somebody else has already posted them.

You are assuming that we would had the same growth and investment by business had the rate stayed at the same level.

Attractive tax rates encourage enterprise which increases growth and increases the tax take.

This was proved when Thatcher cut the higher rate of tax in 1979. The tax take went up.

As JFK said:
‘the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now … The purpose of cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus.’

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:59 - May 11 with 2469 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:00 - May 11 by lowhouseblue

the sums, in so far as there are any, don't add up.
beyond southern rail there is no public support for nationalisation as an end in itself (which will be the headline proposal) - they want price and service controls not a return to british rail.
the more things you promise, the less clear your priorities become, and the less credible the programme you offer. voters already have zero trust that corbyn can deliver anything - offering the moon on a stick (with no plan to pay for it) just reinforces that.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 8:01]

So to be clear it's a suicide note because it offers the moon on a stick (which I disagree with).....anybody would think it was a political party 's election manifesto! If only supposed Labour supporters like you hadn't spent so much energy throwing your toys out of the pram we could have had a fair shout at removing the current shambles. Now that you have invested so much energy though I fully understand your psychological need to come across as full on Daily Mail ! All the new Labour cronies are concerned about is regaining control of 'their' party from all those pesky members.
For what it is worth I have plenty of doubts about Corbyn and his team (being an Anarcho syndicalist by inclination) but can see that with 'friends' like you the 'left' don't need my voice to add to its enemies.

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:05 - May 11 with 2462 viewsJ2BLUE

So you agree that a lower corporation Tax rate made Business in Britain more attractive and contributed to the recovery and increased growth. Which means that the tax take in 2016 is £6billion more than it was in 2010.

The reduced amounts your link highlights are based in the growth we had. Would we have had that growth if British business remained uncompetitive whilst we were attempting to cone out if a recession?

That's not necessarily true in 2017.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:05 - May 11 with 2461 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

With all the free QE money sloshing around the economy the answer to the first question is no and the second one, yes .

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:07 - May 11 with 2459 viewsCoastalblue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:59 - May 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

So to be clear it's a suicide note because it offers the moon on a stick (which I disagree with).....anybody would think it was a political party 's election manifesto! If only supposed Labour supporters like you hadn't spent so much energy throwing your toys out of the pram we could have had a fair shout at removing the current shambles. Now that you have invested so much energy though I fully understand your psychological need to come across as full on Daily Mail ! All the new Labour cronies are concerned about is regaining control of 'their' party from all those pesky members.
For what it is worth I have plenty of doubts about Corbyn and his team (being an Anarcho syndicalist by inclination) but can see that with 'friends' like you the 'left' don't need my voice to add to its enemies.

Genuinely interested here as I have little knowledge of the inner workings of the Labour party.
The regain bit from the members, from the outside it appears more that a small left wing faction has taken control of the party, and recruited lots of new like minded individuals to keeep them in power. Meaning the existing members being marginalised?
As I say the above is what it looks like, no idea what the reality is. It does seem like about three parties crammed into one though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:09 - May 11 with 2455 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:44 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

Ah. Now I remember why.

Well why stop at 20%......."long live the corporations" !

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:11 - May 11 with 2449 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:40 - May 11 by StokieBlue

SB

Sometimes extremes are useful to illustrate the direction of travel.

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:14 - May 11 with 2441 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 08:57 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

That's not by your calculations. Those estimates are freely available on the internet and somebody else has already posted them.

You are assuming that we would had the same growth and investment by business had the rate stayed at the same level.

Attractive tax rates encourage enterprise which increases growth and increases the tax take.

This was proved when Thatcher cut the higher rate of tax in 1979. The tax take went up.

As JFK said:
‘the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now … The purpose of cutting taxes now is not to incur a budget deficit, but to achieve the more prosperous, expanding economy which can bring a budget surplus.’

"This was proved when Thatcher cut the higher rate of tax in 1979. The tax take went up."

Thatcher cut the top rate of tax YES
BUT she increased the tax take significantly at the bottom by ditching allowances effectively those on the base rate paid considerably more & it was painful for many

Maybe you are too young to recall her being renamed, Reverse Robin Hood?
Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:15 - May 11 with 2440 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:05 - May 11 by J2BLUE

That's not necessarily true in 2017.

CJ was referring to what "may" have been raised had the rate remained the same in 2010. He isn't talking about future receipts.

The IFS have been very clear that, yes, in the short term an increase in the rate as proposed by Labour will raise more money.

However, they then go on to say that in the longer term the proposed corporation tax rise could raise significantly less.

“Corporation tax is one of the more damaging taxes on growth and affects where companies choose to locate,” said Helen Miller, an associate director at the Institute for Fiscal Studies, citing evidence from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “Putting the rate back up would be pretty bad for investment, jobs and wages.”

And whilst people are keen to quote the IFS today, they also say that Labour’s £10 minimum wage plan threatens jobs. With low-skilled workers most at risk.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a5d6076-359e-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e

Iron Lion Zion

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:19 - May 11 with 2433 viewsNo9

Labour's manifesto 'leaked' on 09:15 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

CJ was referring to what "may" have been raised had the rate remained the same in 2010. He isn't talking about future receipts.

The IFS have been very clear that, yes, in the short term an increase in the rate as proposed by Labour will raise more money.

However, they then go on to say that in the longer term the proposed corporation tax rise could raise significantly less.

“Corporation tax is one of the more damaging taxes on growth and affects where companies choose to locate,” said Helen Miller, an associate director at the Institute for Fiscal Studies, citing evidence from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. “Putting the rate back up would be pretty bad for investment, jobs and wages.”

And whilst people are keen to quote the IFS today, they also say that Labour’s £10 minimum wage plan threatens jobs. With low-skilled workers most at risk.

https://www.ft.com/content/0a5d6076-359e-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e

& I bet the woman at the IFS who said this would not know how to manage on £10 an hour.

Thatcher introduced the FIS it was a bed idea as it let low quality firms pay very low wages for the taxpayer to supplement.
This taxpaye subsidisation of wealthy organisations has gone on far too long and hosul stop.
If the population is properly paid and can afford to buy murchandise & services they will soo come back.

Why do you make it seem right to support the wealthy but not the poor ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024